It's Hard to find a Good Vintage Ferrari | Page 3 | FerrariChat

It's Hard to find a Good Vintage Ferrari

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by gsjohnson, May 8, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    Have you considered a 365GT2+2? The one I had was a great car. There is what appears to be a very nice one in another thread.
    Good Luck,
    Terry Phillips

2. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott

Just guesses, based on fall 2007 search for a replacement for my totaled Series I:

Series I: $80-$90K

Interim: $90-$100K

Series II: $110-$120K

I didn't know the Series II at Ferrari of Newport Beach was still there....it's not on their website. I talked to them about it last fall, seemed like a very nice car.

3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    GS Johnson,

I was referring to the car that Wayne posted the description of.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. It is too bad you didn't take it for a quick spin. I find a drive tends to answer a LOT of questions.

4. Vintage47

Vintage47 Karting

Oct 16, 2005
    The totaled car; Is that 5409?
    It's for sale on eBay for $75,000. It looks like it was a very nice car and will be again with some bodywork.
    Did it have any major problems before the crash?
    I know someone who can fix it beautifully.

Art

5. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    I am not a big fan of the styling of the 365 GT 2+2.

6. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    No I have not inquired about the Series II car at FJ. My previous experience with them on that 365 GTC/4 was not real responsive in nature as I stated previously in this thread. But at the end of the month, I'll check it out when up at the Wine Country Classics in Sonoma.

7. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson

Doesn't this car have a Salvage Title though?

8. Vintage47

Vintage47 Karting

Oct 16, 2005
    Isn't it possible to get a title?

9. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    In the state of California it is impossible to shed the salvage title stigma once the car has been branded as such. There maybe ways to wash the title by registering it in another state, but I really don't want to go thru all of that illigitimate BS. A salvage title usually means a decrease in value as well. Personally I think the seller of this car is smoking something. This is a Series I car with major right front damage and a salvage title for $75K. If we have established a that Series I 330 GT in #2 condition is worth $80K to $90K, how can this guy think that a salvage titled Series I car with pretty severely damaged fender be worth $75K?

10. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Art,

I chased 5409 for quite a while. The repair estimate from the total was $78K - the damage is worse than seen in the pictures. However, in my opinion, that estimate was nuts. I felt that the car could be fixed for much less. The car is in quite good shape (or it was a year ago). I thought, all things considered (needs: at least $10K of bodywork, probobly more, not including paint; will need new paint; will need the interior upgraded; salvage title / accident history) that it was worth in the $40s. Unfortunately for me, others thought it was worth more. The $75K price is crazy cansidering there is an unbent car for sale in the $50s at the moment.

Regards,

Art S.

11. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    As the former owner of #5409, I sincerely hope someone with megabucks buys it at whatever price they will let it go for and builds a great replicar, keeping the s/n intact.

Sorry to all the purists, but a hard cold fact of life: that's the only way it will be able to escape getting parted out.

12. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    True

13. jjmcd

jjmcd Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2004
  14. Vintage47

Vintage47 Karting

Oct 16, 2005
    Art S.
    I too pursued 5409. Tracked it to the auction in Texas, but had a problem bidding.
    I see your point about the price considering the state of the car. I see it's kinked all the way into the cowl. Perhaps I just like these old
    cars too much, but it does look like a decent one. Maybe it's just a little soon to pay that much.

Art T.

P.S.

JSA330,

If you wouldn't mind saying,
    how was S/N 5409 mechanically before it was damaged?

Art T.

15. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    On a scale of 1-5, 4.5/5. The current ad is accurate in that it says the car was well cared for before the accident. Keep in mind...the accident occurred on 5-11-07, and the car has been out of my personal posession since about a week after that.

16. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
  17. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Art T.,

I didn't miss the auctions. I bid at the first one but wasn't even the underbidder. It went for $57.5K. Earlier this year, the car was found abandoned in a parking garage - the car just avoided a police impound with the help of several F-chatters. After the owner was contacted, two individuals were seen pushing the car away. I had an opportunity to buy it from the high bidder a couple months ago for $50K but, to me, this was still high. I bid again at the most recent auction but set my maximum bid quite low due to what I percieved to be irregularities. I don't know if the car sold at the most recent auction or elsewhere but I wish the new owners much luck in their quest to get $75K for it. If the car's condition hasn't changed much in the past year, then I think it is worth somewhere in the mid 40s.

Regards,

Art S.

18. jjmcd

jjmcd Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2004
  19. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    When I first entered the "Wanna buy a Ferrari" arena I was hot on the 512tr and Testarossa, but after much pondering I decided I would rather enter into the vintage front engined V12 market. Most any Testarossa would fall into my price range, but I'm looking to spend all of my money...lol. Although this Testarossa in your link is a great color combo and is tempting.

20. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    What ever you do just take your time and learn as much as you can about all the cars. The Vintage Ferrari world is a very different place to be. Most people just don't understand. It is really a passion for the history of the factory in the early days and the artists that were involved pounding out the shapes. You are all over the map right now. Just take your time.

21. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    How so?

22. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Okay, I made an offer on a 365 GTC/4 last night. The seller wants considerably more than my offer, but he contacted me yesterday asking me if I was still interested in the car? This was the very first car that I looked at, but I felt it was priced too high and I moved on. We spoke on the phone last night and told him what I was willing to pay for the car. He is now thinking it over, so we'll see...

23. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    I too have been interested in a 365 GTC/4 and feel many are asking too much for the car. After all, it is a 2+2, and though a contemporary of the Daytona, not nearly as desirable nor does it have the performance of the daytona. I think 120K is top dollar for a nice example...I may be wrong...we'll see

24. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    what is your price zone, if you dont mind me asking?

25. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    I'd like to keep it under a $120K, but I could go to $125K max for the "Right" car. There are other expenses as well. Plane tickets, shipping, PPI, sales tax, etc.