It's Hard to find a Good Vintage Ferrari | Page 4 | FerrariChat

It's Hard to find a Good Vintage Ferrari

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by gsjohnson, May 8, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    to find a c4 that is in top #1 condition, is very difficult. Those who have such a car have maintained it in a flwless condition but were not doing that to resell it....more so to keep it. So I agree, people want top dollar for cars that aren't top cars....the buyer sees it one way and the seller another. If you are patient, the market is likely to come to you, rather than you having to go to it. I am waiting, cash in hand for the right deal.

2. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    The C4 I made the offer on last night needs work, especially the interior, and is far from a #1 car. But it runs very well and is a driver (Motor has never been out of the car though). I offered a little over a 100 for it.

3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Congrats, hope it works out!

4. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Are you sure that the market will indeed come to you?

5. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    GS: I used the term "all over the map" because you have been looking at Dinos, modern TR's, and a vintage C4. What car do you really see yourself driving and spending lots of money on maintaining. I would hate to see another person get into a car and ending up dissapointed. You got to really love the car. These vintage cars as well as any Ferrari for that matter are super expensive to fix and buy parts for. In this crazy market you need to be careful you are not paying top dollar for a car that has not been properly maintained. You want a car that someone has spent their life savings on and has to sell because of other reasons. Don't buy a car from someone who wants to cash in on the high market. Don't buy someones problem. Best of luck and I hope you find the car you love. Keep us posted.

6. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    That's true, but I have settled on a vintage V12 F-car now. More specifically a 365 GTC/4 or a 330 GT. I was on the 512tr at the beginning when a Dino project interupted my search. I only looked at that Dino project because I was given that lead by a good friend and it was, what I thought, priced right. In the end, I just didn't want a project and I wanted 12 cylinders. Even though I wanted a 512tr, I was always having a hard time with the styling. I wanted something with the Ferrari classic lines and styling. More in the traditional sense. So, here I am. Your words are good advice. Thank you

7. Racerfred

Racerfred Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I just purchased a 365 GTC/4 in April. I am impressed with the car - my wife even told me that it rides like a modern car. While it does have the vintage V-12 appeal the ride is surprisingly modern. Around town the car is a little heavy, mostly due to the clutch feel. It really is a fun car to drive and own. I could not be happier. BTW this is my first Ferrari!

Good luck getting the car.

Fred Pignataro

8. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    gsjohnson, happy to hear you've settle on a car direction, and hope it works out.

If I do go the 12 route again, it looks to be towards a C/4.

Been there and done that with the 330 2+2, and the thought of a redux doesn't excite me much.

A GTC is too big a financial stretch on the purchase, unless I could find a good $120K Driver ;).

9. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Well I haven't heard from the guy that I placed the offer with on the 365 GTC/4. But, I am discussing with another seller on his 330 GT Interim car in Florida. We have exchanged over 20 emails and pics and have had a couple of conversations by phone. Nice guy. The car seems to have an accurate owner trail and a mile high of invoices for work done. A solid #2 car. A very documented car with everything broke down and chronicled in a log book that was started 4 owners back. The car has 5 U.S. owners and an Italian owner. Actually this log book thing is a great idea. It would be neat if every Ferrari owner started one of these log books and was transfered with each subsequent owner. Sort of like a diary...or like an SCCA Log book that stays with the car thoughout its' life time. If we can agree on a price, I will fly out and take a look at it.

10. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    6997? If so, it has been offered on eBay twice in the past two years by two different sellers and a search on both this site and Tom Yang's site should turn up some discussion on the car.

http://www.330gt.com/Detail/SN_6997.html

11. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Okay I just got a call from the seller of the GTC/4. He stated that he has another offer at $111,500 and that he would give me the right to match it if I wanted the car. Very nice of him, but I passed and held firm at my $106K offer. So it appears that I lost this car, but that's okay as I had already decided what my top offer would be on this car based on its current condition.
    But I am still on this 330 GT and the seller and I are very close to a deal.

12. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    IMO, they're great cars, and 10% cheaper than a Series II, if you're OK with the 4HL config...I'm fine with it and came very close to buying an Interim late last summer. Good luck with it.

13. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Get the 330, you won't regret it.