I've been a longtime fan of Lewis... | FerrariChat

I've been a longtime fan of Lewis...

Discussion in 'F1' started by renman95, Oct 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    but if he 'takes a knee' in Austin he will be just another putz in a long line of 'useful' idiots'.

"I've posted about it because I respect it highly and I find the movement that Kaepernick started is awesome. I'm very much in support of it. I am here to win and that is part of my priority at the moment and what I am focused on at the moment." -LH

Last year I ceased watching NFL football. I can't stomach the idiocy of Roger Goodell (NFL Commissioner), the president's insertions, and the Media's flaming spin... It's just a game. I want to be entertained, not beat over the head with a social justice mallet. Lewis, plz don't do this to F1.

furmano, WJHMH, NeuroBeaker and 2 others like this.
  2. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Let me guess, you're a middle-aged or older white guy?
    Frankly, I never liked Louis until he took this stand, but let's relegate this to the Politics & Religion thread, or whatever it's called- that's where this belongs.

BMWairhead likes this.
  3. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    He said yesterday that he wouldn't be doing it.

4. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    'at the moment'....

Ira Schwartz likes this.
  5. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I've always found people that displayed courage in standing up for what they believe in as admirable, provided what they believe in is just and they do so without violating other's rights. Those who would chafe at the extremely minor inconvenience it may cause them while they sit in their barcalounger and throw their beer at the screen are more along the lines of 'un-useful' idiots.

RWatters and Patrick Dixon like this.
  6. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Absolutely, if it is sincere and more than a PR gesture. Given that most of those taking a knee have no real idea what they are protesting or have any meaningful ideas on how to achieve whatever it is they think they are after I doubt if Lewis is more fully informed. So Lewis might as well just throw a #metoo as that is about as far as his actual support amounts to (IMHO).

lagunacc likes this.
  7. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hmmm...
    1. The OP's point, that he hopes political agendas stay out of racing, is less "political" than yours since you're bringing his age and race into this to diminish his viewpoint.
    2. It took his sociopolitical views and hinting that he might take a stand to make you like Lewis Hamilton?

Did I miss a joke somewhere? :confused:

I do agree though that we should be mindful of not getting bogged down in politics. Let us hope that, as the OP expresses, Hamilton exercises restraint this weekend so that social commentary doesn't overshadow a potentially good race.

All the best,
    Andrew.

8. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Considering the Mercedes market in the US, if Lewis takes a knee, I think Mercedes will find their dealerships the target of protests...and have a slump in sales as well. Perhaps even vandalism to their cars...the football players all have security and are out of reach but a car lot is an easy target for angry people. Sometimes it is common courtesy to leave politics at the door.

lagunacc and daytona355 like this.
  9. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Absolutely right. Never a good idea to get involved in the politics of another country, no matter how similar in culture we might appear. The world has seen enough wars started just because someone didn’t understand a simple protest

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Ira Schwartz likes this.
  10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    The Mercedes demographic in the US is likely unaware that F1 exists, and thinks of Hamilton as a Broadway musical.

Ira Schwartz, 375+, WilyB and 3 others like this.
  11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    No. A blender.

Ira Schwartz likes this.
  12. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Or a watch

Ira Schwartz likes this.
  13. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    Or a Beach.

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  15. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I wonder what the percentage of USA Mercedes customers that are aware that they have an F1 team? I wonder how many even know what F1 is? Not many is my guess. Therefore, I don't think there will be any protests if Hamilton takes a knee or will there be celebrations at dealerships if he wins.

Ira Schwartz and 375+ like this.
  16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm going to be honest here. I bet if you told most Americans Mercedes cars were made by Lexus they would believe it. Most people have no clue about cars or car makers.

lorenzobandini and tifoso2728 like this.
  17. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    I've only met one NFL player (the guy from whom my sister and her husband bought their current house), but you know so many of them so well? Somehow, I doubt that.
    Assuming arguendo that I'm right, what gives you the right to impugn their knowledge of these issues, or their sincerity? I'd bet that most of the black players have a pretty good idea of "whatever it is they think they are after"- condescend much?

18. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Did you miss a joke? -No. Did you miss the point?- Yes, although perhaps that's attributable to the brevity of my comment, so allow me to elaborate:
    I'd always viewed Lewis (fairly or not) as a somewhat shallow guy who adopted whatever views seemed trendy to him at the moment. When I read his tweets though, I changed my mind. His comments seemed thoughtful and well-reasoned, somewhat to my surprise, and yes, that made me hold him in higher regard.
    As for allowing politics to "overshadow a . . . good race", well, I fail to see how real race fans could be so easily distracted. Any by the way, what world are you living in? The deaths of numerous people of color for little or sometimes no reason is a BIG deal, and our little hobbies are pretty insignificant by comparison- and I say that as someone who is a hard-core F1 guy who has attended 28 Grands Prix, driven a couple of F1 cars, etc., etc., so I'm pretty passionate about this stuff.
    Now let's please move this to the Politics & Religion thread where it belongs.

Patrick Dixon likes this.
  19. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    PR gesture? Its certainly not positive PR, as evidenced by yours and others ignorant dismissal of them. Because you don't care to understand what they're protesting, despite many of them very explicitly articulating it with personal examples, doesn't mean they don't know exactly what it is they're protesting. Hint: it's not the flag or the country despite some trying to paint it that way so they can dismiss it.

As to Lewis, I could care less one way or the other. I already understand the purpose of the protest, so it won't help or hinder my enjoyment of anything. I'm not sure if it's more or less meaningful being that he's not American, but I don't really care. It has nothing to do with why he would be, or others are, protesting in the first place.

20. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The contradiction in this paragraph is deep. See you in P&R, and enjoy the race, I know I will.

21. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    That's interesting. Thoughtful and well-reasoned are not descriptors I've heard applied to Lewis Hamilton before.

You could start your own thread in P&R if you want to bring over some impressive Lewis Hamilton sociopolitical tweets and get a good discussion going. I'll come along to read your thoughts.

All the best,
    Andrew.

daytona355 likes this.
  22. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    That little diva wouldn't dare. If his bosses are as smart as I think they are, they would castrate him for doing so.

lagunacc and daytona355 like this.
  23. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Any thinking person can see how all this is so wrong headed and actually, counterproductive. That's the bottom line.

-F

24. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    If he took a knee who would hold his umbrella :p

25. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Actually, if Ham wins and then takes a knee during the playing of the British (and German) anthem I'm all for it. The resulting discussion (here and there) would be worth it.