Jag V12 | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Jag V12

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nickt, Feb 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson

You might need a hydraulic pipe bender... you can hire them. Then it is an exercise of putting loads of little bends in the tube to bring it around close enough to the screen shape.
    http://www.speedyhire.co.uk/product_search.aspx?id=578&fSize=larger&fImages=1&nav=

You could then fix a steel flat bar along and space it with little shims to fine tune the curve and weld the lot together? You'll need a flat to bond the glass to anyhow?

David

2. topcatproduction

Apr 9, 2008
    We have a set of rolls so can roll just about anything up to 3-4", there are probably some engineering companies near you who will be able to roll your tube to fit the screen then you will have a nice even sweep- its really quite easy to do!- Could get the roof bars done too....

3. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    #203 Nickt, Aug 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In the end I used an old door! We cut the contour from the windscreen in it and drilled a 1.25" hole in the door and gently bent the steel bar over the contour, then holding it in place heated the bar red hot.
    I also fitted the exhaust - getting so close to maiden trip!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Connected all the hoses tonight and filled the beast with water.

This then emptied itself all over the garage floor.
    Radiator has a hole in :( 3 pipes have holes in :( :( :(

Run out of brazing gas :(

garden hose burst and filled garage with water :eek:

There's always tomorrow!

5. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson

Ahh well, at least its only water... plenty more where that came from.

David.

6. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Taking shape very nicely, Nick. :) How long to maiden voyage (or even the first start)? And can you put a video clip of it up pls?

7. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    #207 Nickt, Aug 9, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
    Hi Richard
    Had it not been for the flood (just emptied a gallon of water out of the fuel cells) probably later today, now it looks like later this week after it all dries out :D Just found a major flaw in having foam filled fuel tanks, they soak up water as well.

Going to finish the cooling system today (trip to B&Q to get some more gas), I have to braze two more pipes and mend the radiator, looks like it got a small dink where it has been lying around inside the garage since i broke the Scorpio up.

I have two more pipes to weld to the exhaust (where the turbo waste gates vent to bypass the turbines), then that's it!!

I also have to buy some fuel, the most expensive part of the build so far :)

Trust me, the 1st and many subsequent runs will be online! Having said that, the 1st startup is online http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=H3FjdBVsr9I Careful its loud!

8. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    If the foam is safe with alcohol you could rinse a bit it through. It will will mix with the water and pull most of it out and whats left will then mix with the gas.

Looking good!

9. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    That sounds propper Le Mans / Nascar loud! :dude: Impressed with how little churning over it took.

May have missed this in an earlier post.... but a V12 Jag engine has 300bhp (ish), what are you hoping for with those turbos and a somewhat more open 'zorst?

10. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    That engine made around 250hp when it was new.

11. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Not a later HE spec engine then? They were 295 or 318 as a 6 litre.

12. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Even the HE engines were underpowered (considering their enormous weight and size). Nick is going to need all the help those turbos can give but I don't expect the performance to be "record setting".

13. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Ah, but feel the torque! ;)

14. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    No Richard, this was one of the last pre-HEs, so had a comp ratio of 9:1 instead of 12:1 BUT had all the refinements the HE had, better cooling, oil flow etc.. I have been told that these engines pushed out a very lazy 295 bhp, but I'm not that worried. According to what I have been told the engine should push 600-650 bhp if i can get the whole thing running nicely. I still want to go down the NOS route which could give 750-800 bhp. The ecu can handle NOS and the turbos and water injection, not sure it can do them all together! The injectors i have opted for are the earlier 400 ml/min ones, so capable of squirting one heck of a lot of fuel in at a go. In the trial run i used 2 gallons in a couple of minutes as i was running at 185% fuel (no air temp sensor)!
    I have weighed the car using the area of the tyres method and each rear has about 465 kgs and the fronts 250 kgs, so all in all pretty light and well balanced.
    Regards
    Nick

15. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    It got every dog in about a 5 mile radius howling :D

16. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Cool..... :D

17. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    #217 mk e, Aug 9, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
    295 to 600+ means at least 15 psi of boost with a good intercooler I think....that's a lot of boost. Have others don that or will you be the first? Are the valve springs goign to be able to hold the intake valves closed? Rods and pistons ok? 15 psi means you'll be doubling the torque it puts out to, will the clutch handle that?

It's going to be a monster if it stays together!

18. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    #218 Nickt, Aug 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Mark
    I guy did put a jag V12 in a bike with 2 T25 turbos http://www.custommettle.co.uk which was dynos at 710bhp. My turbos are t28 hybrids so a little more aggressive at the lower end - ideal for drifting :eek: He did not report any problems. The jag V12 is very lazy under stressed engine everything seems to be built with industrial grade materials! I guess that's British leyland for you!
    He used a landrover clutch, I am using the standard Audi one, if it fails at £10 a pop its no real issue.
    So with the 36-1 wasted spark ignition and a map that is geared to the engine it should be quite awesome - anyway I'll find out in a week or so when I fire it up again.
    The car moved today under its own power!! (i left it in gear by mistake and cranked the engine over after filling it with oil)
    The exhausts are completely finished now, they look awesome, the two elbows coming out of the turbos to the Mondial exhaust look fab, almost as if they were off a shelf.

All that's left to do in this phase...

refit the ECU,
    weld top bar to windscreen surround
    Fit screen
    Fit the induction tubing (when I get it)
    Fit intercoolers
    Fit the air temp sensor - wire it to ECU
    wire Lambda sensor to ECU
    refit fuel cells (still drying in kitchen)
    Fill with gas :D
    Back it out of garage

phase 2 body
    fit big wheels
    cover chassis with wood frame
    plug with polystyrene
    cover with plaster and shape
    rub it down and spray
    fill any imperfections
    spray
    GRP the whole body
    remove mould
    Destroy wood/plaster body
    make real body
    fit
    spray

phase 3 suspension/rollbars and remake front wishbones

19. topcatproduction

Apr 9, 2008
    I'm struggling to believe he got over 700BHP out of that- I know it was turbo'd but he only had 1 mini carb feeding each side of the 5.3 V12!!!!!!!

20. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Actually he had two strombergs (one on each peugeot 205d turbo) but you are right, I scoured the net last night and found a website that says he got 400 + bhp. I don't know how you could tell as I would think it would be impossible to put that much power down onto a dyno! But at lease someone has turbo'd a jag V12 :) he also had stock ignition etc..
    Cheers
    Nick

21. topcatproduction

Apr 9, 2008
    I'm sure they were HIF44's! Either way I feel REALLY sorry for the front forks on that bike..! And just how did you manage to fill up your fuel tanks with water Nick?!

22. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    I know, I'm not fussed if my car only make 100bhp, it will look great and I made it all myself!
    Things went really wrong on Friday or Saturday (I think). I had the cooling system all connected and thought I would blast a hose through it and flush out any debris, so connected the hose to the header tank, but there were too many leaks, so i turned off the hose and went off top fix the other problems. Then i got called in for food.
    a couple of hours later I went into the garage to see water dripping from the ceiling and everywhere, the damn hose had burst.
    The water had managed to get itself into the fuel cells breather and as both tanks are connected with a balance tube, it naturally filled them both up, and the fuel pump/filter etc....
    I also think its got into the fuse box as I have no ignition :(

23. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Well today the car drove for the first time ever under its own power. I managed to get the engine running quite sweetly using a Ford Zetek turbo fuel and ignition MAP, i tweaked the spark curve and now its runs like a dream.
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=d83r2-Z4-CE
    I have also done a photo bucket at
    http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s334/nickt_v12/
    The clutch is really light the steering is positive the gears and smooth, all in all I cant believe it! :D :D :D
    Sorry cant stop smiling.
    at the end of the video the one place I forgot to put a hose clip gave and power cleaned the gravel drive - heh ho, it needed flushing out.

Who ever said Jag V12s sound horrible was wrong, pumped through the Mondial exhaust it sounds stunning (even with the few exhaust leaks)
    next connect the turbos up. Anyone got some 2" steel pipe they dont want??
    Cheers
    Nick

24. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Congrats Nick

i really must come over and have a look at it.

25. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Anytime! apart from next week - still can't stop smiling, just drove it into the garage,