Jaguar S-Type questions | FerrariChat

Jaguar S-Type questions

Discussion in 'British' started by Wolfgang5150, Dec 7, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    I am seriously considering buying a 200/2001 S-Type to replace my Tahoe - does anyone here own one, or have experiences with one? Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
    Kevin

2. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Check out www.jag-lovers.org Its the largest/comprehensive site on the Internet. Sign up for the forums and there is an S-Type, XJ, and XK8 forums along with one for all the older models as well. The archives are extensive and searchable.

Good luck!

Sunny

3. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi if its a v8 and its second-hand have a good listen to the front of the engine for any noise from the timing chain area-the chain guides break up,the spark holes can fill of oil and it has coil packs,v6 models are ford mondeos,the morel of the story is theyve got better by far than they used to be,just glad dont work on many e-types anymore,
    Dale.

4. VS1

VS1 Karting

Oct 16, 2002
    Beavercreek, OH
    Full Name:
    Vishal Soin
    My wife has a 2003 Jag S-Type [4.2 V8]. Great car. We've had no major problems at all [but we've only put 11,000 miles on it]. I honestly think [after buying one] that the V8 is overkill for the car - the V6 is enough engine for most use. Besides, the ride is much more compliant with 16" wheels. We have the 17s on the V8 - but I put snow tires on 16s and they ride much, much better [of course they don't handle as well - but what do you expect when you are pushing 5000lbs around]. Trunk space is fine [but kind of funny shaped - long but not very deep or wide - like most Jags]. We love the exterior shape, proportions and general look. Interior is very nicely done. Overall - it's a great car and priced well in relation to the 5-series BMW and E-class Merc. Have you considered an XJ of the same years. I previously had a 1998 XJ Vanden Plas. Another great car - with much more interior room compared to the S-Type. You could probably get one for a decent price right now - given how well the new XJ is selling and the old ones are still great cars. Didn't have any major issues with that one either.

5. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    :eek:

Blasphemy! Be gone with you!

6. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Thanks for the responses. I'm definietly going fo rthe V8 - I'm looking at a 2000, but most likely a 2001. I had heard some problems about the transmissions, but I guess there was a recall. Thanks.
    Kevin

7. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    There was, and for the X-Type as well. What they are describing is there is a clunk from 1st to 2nd that is very unseemly for a car of its caliber. Its using a ZF 5-speed automatic. Some dealers are attempting a flash update for the software to see if it fixes the transmission and some internet forum members like myself are waiting to see if this solves it without having the transmission replaced. Hopefull in a week or two we'll know (on Jag-Lovers).

The 3.0 has approx. 65-70lbs less torque and approx 40bhp than the 4.0. Its not just a matter of displacement, the V8 is the more reliable and refined engine. The addl power definitely turns up the pleasure a notch behind the wheel. On the upside of the 3.0, its slightly better balanced and easier to toss in a canyon or autocross environment but only barely. The depreciation of the S-Type should be around 40% or slightly more after 3 years. Due to the production volume, a nice second hand 2000 can be had for cheap.

If you want excellent performance beyond just a beater for daily driving and don't mind the XJ styling, you can find '01 XJR's in the upper 30's with low to moderate mileage every week. They simply bury the S-Type in the performance category without transmission quirks. The best deal going this week is a carnival red/sand '03 XJR with under 17k miles for $49,500. While more than just a daily beater, thats $25k off new, not including any luxury the sucker paid if it was an early '03 sold in late '02. Add a Select Edition warranty to add 2 years for a total of 5. No better Jag I would by if I planned to keep it a long time and drive the piss out of.

Good luck!

Sunny

8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I'll have to agree w/ Sunny, you're already in the range of late model XJ's for the price of an 8 cylinder S Type. I just bought my 2nd XJ, an 02 XJ Sport. I stole it.

It want to know if you're getting a good deal, check this place for pricing. www.texas-cars.com . He sells them wholesale (I bought both of mine from him) and he moves a ton of cars. Don't see what you want? Wait 2 weeks.

9. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I was at the dealer the minute the S-type came out with firm intentions to buy, but I drove a 3.0 liter and found it too heavy and unresponsive. The engine had 240 HP, but the car was just too heavy. I'm sure the V8 is fine -- I didn't try it because I couldn't justify it at the time. The value equation on these cars new isn't that good (in my opinion), but they are a bargain used. We later bought a 3.0 liter X-type -- it's much lighter and the 4 wheel drive is great during the winter. Both the S-type and X-type are quite tight on interior room. There are roadfly forums for Jags, the X-type seems active but the S-type is less active (I don't follow either one):

http://forums1.roadfly.org/jaguar/forums/stype/forum.php

http://forums1.roadfly.org/jaguar/forums/xtype/forum.php

10. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Wow - Texas-cars has great prices and a great inventory. Thanks for the lead.
    Kevin S.

11. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I personally sold 2 of the 3 litre "S" types this month at our dealership.

They had 35-40km each on the odometer and had the LOWEST reconditioning cost of almost any used "high end" (yeah I know it's a Ford) car that we have sold in quite a while.

The only firsthand problems that I am aware of is that the covers for the headlight washers fall of rather easily.

Having said that..........up here anyways..........you can buy the same year XJ8 for the same money....with the same mileage. THAT would be my choice.