Jalpa thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Jalpa thread

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by SVJTech, Nov 12, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SVJTech

SVJTech Rookie

Apr 1, 2009
    Western US
    Full Name:
    Jason F.
    Just to add to the conversation - The MSD and the CD systems do help considerably. After finding it hard to source distributor caps here in Colorado – and then the ones I found were about $100.. - I elected to upgrade to a Electromotive ignition - it removes the need for distributor caps (crank pickup) and greatly increases the accuracy of ignition timing - no more timing wandering due to the rubber belt stretching because of load or temperatures... and you can set you own advance curve - great for our altitude here..

--Jason

2. Any pics of the conversion? Where did you find the parts & the approx cost?

3. SVJTech

SVJTech Rookie

Apr 1, 2009
    Western US
    Full Name:
    Jason F.
    I'll have to look at the box to get the model number, but my memory states it's the same as the one for the Chevy V-8. They have a common crank sequence.

The Electromotive ignition has the timing control / coils and electronics on one piece - cost for parts was about $1200. Labor for the system was about $400.

The shop that installed it developed the advance curve through multiple dyno and street runs - and incorporated a manifold absolute pressure sensor and a knock retard to boot...

Except for the trigger wheel installation - removing the crank pulley and precisely welding the trigger wheel in place - The setup was pretty simple. Not that welding the trigger wheel was difficult, just that finding a true TDC was a challenge.

I'll add some photos of the installation when I get home...

-Jason

4. SVJTech

SVJTech Rookie

Apr 1, 2009
    Western US
    Full Name:
    Jason F.
    #29 SVJTech, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    #30 EMILIO, Nov 18, 2009
  6. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Your father's Jalpa is DLA12033.

7. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    tks you for all the infos, Raymond

8. SVJTech

SVJTech Rookie

Apr 1, 2009
    Western US
    Full Name:
    Jason F.
    While I don't have a particular fondness for them, does anyone have or figured out where the running boards were developed and sold? I'm guessing they were semi-aftermarket (dealer option?) as I haven't seen them on many cars -

9. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    Bobnar dealer in Swiss put some on

i am not aware of other skirts for the jalpa

10. powderkeys

powderkeys Rookie

Feb 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Lynn Stedham
    ok guys...this is just for fun...no endorsement on the acting...click on this link of miami vice episode with phil collins driving a white jalpa..start watching from 4 minutes 35 seconds to 5 minutes 55 seconds ...carlos in miami(now owns a beautiful diablo) used to own this exact car and told me about the video while i was at festivals of speed miami last week...pretty cool stuff...lynn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwYed2Fwbek&feature=related

11. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    what is the VIN of the Miami Vice car?
    Since he used to own it, he should be able to find it in old titles, bills etc.

12. SVJTech

SVJTech Rookie

Apr 1, 2009
    Western US
    Full Name:
    Jason F.
    Wondering if there was a factory "specially prepped" version of the Jalpa - similar to the "S" or "SV" of the other Lamborghinni cars? Seen those plates on the back of a few, but I get the feeling they were added by the owners.

But then the parts book shows a regular black Jalpa id plate and also a 'gold' Jalpa plate as well.. And I seem to recall a Jalpa magazine test with the gold colored plates for some reason.. or maybe at the time I was under the influence of all that '80's hair spray??

--Jason

13. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    black and white were common, black on bright car, white on dark cars.

There was never a S version just normal development within the 6 years of production, you can find differences listed on the jalpa-homepage, unfortunately the parts book remained the same from 1983 on, although a lot of parts changed.

14. SVJTech

SVJTech Rookie

Apr 1, 2009
    Western US
    Full Name:
    Jason F.
    #39 SVJTech, Nov 20, 2009
    On the Electromotive Ignition, I found the dyno sheet before and after - mind this also includes a redo of the carbs for the altitude here in CO, after they had been set up for running at about the 1200 foot level...

These were done awhile ago - since then have been able to improve the efficiency of the motor a bit more...

Amazing what good timing can do for you...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. That looks like a nice improvement, is that just the difference of the ignition & carb adj?

16. SVJTech

SVJTech Rookie

Apr 1, 2009
    Western US
    Full Name:
    Jason F.
    Yes - just the change of the ignition and getting the jetting close(er!)

-Jason

17. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    The carbs are the main issue, my former 12203 didn't run really good until my mechanic overhouled the carbs, from then on the thing ran as hell.
    I had both permatune and MSD installed, permatune is the best plug and play, the MSD gives a little bit more power but the air pump controller cannot work correctly with it.

18. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    #43 hyenahf, Nov 21, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
    thanks for posting they dyno results...those are good numbers id say especially considering the altitude.

any reason why you didnt take it beyond 7000rpm?

cheers

hf

19. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Because the piston could touch the valves...
    First series had 7400rpm limiter, later ones (from 1985 on) at 7000, not without reason...

20. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    #45 hyenahf, Nov 22, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
    raymond

the dyno runs all showed it stopping at 6350 rpms

far short of 7400 or 7000rpms was my point

cheers

hf

21. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Depends where you pick up the signal, I remarked on my own car that the tacho showed only 6400 but the engine already turned 7000 (check with the ignition timing stroboscop lamp). But it showd 1300 at idle which was only about 1000 at the engine, that much about accurancy of the tacho...

22. Jota 5084

Jota 5084 Formula 3

May 18, 2006
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Eric Andersson
    2 different rpm`s is also mentioned in the Jalpa sale brochures if im correct.

23. SVJTech

SVJTech Rookie

Apr 1, 2009
    Western US
    Full Name:
    Jason F.
    The main reasoning was just that was the RPM area we were concentrating on for our tuning efforts. Our goal was to get as fat and flat as a h.p. and torque curve as possible – and honestly that in itself was kind of impressive. Achieving that with other machines can be a time intensive project – not that this one wasn’t (at the time we didn’t have much experience with this V-8) but was reasonably achievable.

There is more than this to be made, reasonably easily, but it involves getting the air going in better – less restriction and cooler as well as reducing all that extra mass from the whirly gizmos that make up the smog system, idler pulley and what have you…

The design of this was quite good, if structurally the castings can hold up… seeing typical Italian casting / porosity issues, not unlike Alfas..

--Jason

24. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    that dosent make any sense...to tap into your tach to get a rpm reading for the dyno?

usually dynos just clamp on to a ignition lead much like a timing light.

well all know the false readings of vintage jeagers, veglias ect...

25. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    thats a better answer... far enough.

anyhow the reason i was wondering because info may come in handy to determine the jets sizes to see if it begins to lean/riching out towards the redline and extrapolate the mixture characteristics. i did you get a A/F plot of your dyno runs?

what type of dyno was it... load bearing or inertia? it does make a difference if your tuning because the load bearing replicates actual running far better than the inertia types (ie dynojets etc). load bearing taxes the motor differently and will run the car much harder.

regards

hf