JANUARY'S EVO MAG---288GTO vs F40 vs F50 vs ENZO | Page 2 | FerrariChat

JANUARY'S EVO MAG---288GTO vs F40 vs F50 vs ENZO

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by tonyh, Dec 31, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Hi Tony,

Yes it says car of the year! But it also says january 2004!
    Is there another EVO?

Ton

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Now i'm getting confused, Ton! Even tho' we are just into Jan, the new mag says Feb on the cover.Sorry for any confusion ....
    Tony

3. Ferrari

Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Is THIS it?

4. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    That was previous mth's issue; the new one is the Ferrari special which will show a FEB date on it even tho' we're only just into Jan. I don't understand why mag. publishers do this .
    So, just to clarify, the EVO mag we're all after will have FEB'S date on it. SORRY for any confusion!
    Tony

5. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    #30 tonyh, Jan 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    And what is the outcome of this test?

7. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    I can't post it here without you guys having read the mag first!
    If you seriously want to know, i'll pm it to you.
    Tony

8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Performancewise the Enzo has to be the winner.

Fun wise I would think the GTO won.

9. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Tifosi12,
    ....you will be surprised with overall winner.
    Tony

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Obviously. Since the magazine promises a shock result, it can't be the Enzo. The question remains why? I guess I have to wait.

"Octane" compared the F40 with the Enzo and Enzo clearly won. I also have seen F40 vs F50 comparisons (in Forza) and the F50 didn't win or just by a fraction. Knowing the GTO's figures, I can't imagine it beating the Enzo. So what the hell happened?

Clearly a cliff hanger.

11. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Thanks Tony,

It is clear to me now! I will go and look for the februari edition tomorrow.

cheers

Ton

12. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    So I went tearing down to our "biggest" book store (yes, it's all very relative) and the good news is that they have EVO, Car and Octane, and each is about $12.00 CAD.

The bad news: the Evo that is on the shelf is December 2003 "Cars vs. Bikes". Helpful staff has no idea when January issue arrives, let along the February issue which Tony has!

Even if Jan issue arrives Monday, best case scenario for me to see the Feb issue is a month from then! Pathetic!

I am disgusted and thought I would share with you.

Joe

P.S. Andreas, - I'll bet you a pint that it's the 288GTO.

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hmmm, the F40 versus Enzo article I read the F40 came out the winner ... okay not in the performance figures but in the driver involvement. Mark Hales (writer of the article I read) made the Enzo very clearly the more boring or less satisfying car to drive, because it is all to easy.

In the end neither the F40 or Enzo is going to win any race series so the veryu slight difference in performance figures is totally irrelevant ... thus I would choose the car that gave me the most back, and every article I have read have indicated that the F40 is the most demanding and thus the most satisfying when you get that lap right. That IMO makes the F40 a huge winner :)

I also think that this EVO article will be much more than simply boring and close to irrelevant performance figures and thus I can see the 288GTO winning or the F40. I would be very surprised if it is the F50 ... and more surprised if the Enzo wins.

Pete

14. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have been a US subscriber since issue #2. Evo embodies what driving is all about.

A couple of years ago a buddy of mine and I were in Maranello when a Viper, Porsche Turbo, Diablo 6.0, and a 550 pulled into the lot apparently together. My buddy asked them if they were from Evo...and they were. What a great bunch of blokes. They talked with us for quite a while, posed for pics, etc.

I can't wait to see this issue!

Dino

15. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    PSk, you're going to be surprised ;)

BTW why does the 288 GTO LM have 5 exhausts?

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think you meant the F40 LM. There is no such thing as a 288 LM.

PSK, although they didn't post any real numbers in Octane I would say it is very clear, that the Enzo would simply dust off the F40. You're right about the driver envolvement though. If I had the choice, I would go with the Enzo. Twin turbos kicking in at the apex is not my kind of fun. Guess that makes me a sissy.

Joe, you might be right. As much as I love the GTO (my all time fav Ferrari), I would still think such a test would suck. I mean let's be realistic, the Enzo would drive circles around the GTO. 400 hp vs 650 hp controlled by ASR etc. C'mon!

BTW: Same pathetic situation in our Borders: The December issue. Hopefully my UK friends will come through for me and send me a copy.

17. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    ... hmmm, going to have to find this magazine now. Just went down to the local shop and they still have the bike versus car thing. I was actually surprised that the bike beat the cars around a race track. I always thought that cars cornered faster than bikes and cornering speed makes up most of a lap time. An F1 car pisses all over any bike lap time wise ... guess they compared race bikes versus road cars (?).

As for the turbo kicking in ... I dream of such moments :):) ...

Pete

18. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Just wanted to use this opportunity to say a BIG THANK YOU to Tony Hopkins who was nice enough to send me a copy of the EVO article.

What a guy! Makes up for all the annoying trolls.

Thank you Tony. I owe you one, so let me know next time you need some help from the US.

20. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    I'm not 100% on this, but the 5th exhaust is most likely from the turbo wastegate.

21. Ferrari

Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    I just picked up a copy at my newspaper stand. . . $8.25 + tAX . . . . AAARGH @!#&%

22. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    The January EVO cover I looked at had the Challenge Stradale and other cars on the front cover, but no article on F40/F50/Enzo/288GTO.

What the hell is going on in this world??

23. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H

24. EricImports69

EricImports69 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    North NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I just picked up the January Issue for 8.25...never knew my Barnes and Noble had it..now im excited, cant wait for the next isseu...good mag

25. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    well my local borders doesn't have it yet :(

on a side note, i am un-subscribing to road and track, fhm, maxim and stuff and selling some of my c&d and r&t mags and subscribing to octane. its an awesome mag and only $75 to subscribe to here in the us (thats cheap considering evo is something like $200)