JANUARY'S EVO MAG---288GTO vs F40 vs F50 vs ENZO | Page 4 | FerrariChat

JANUARY'S EVO MAG---288GTO vs F40 vs F50 vs ENZO

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by tonyh, Dec 31, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    There are mountains of test data on these cars already, all the results any mag racer could dream of. At the end of the day all of those numbers are secondary to the driving experience, which is what this article (and Evo as a whole) addresses. The article is also beautifully written. I love Evo and their approach to reviewing cars.

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

and while i know its not their fault , testing 4 Ferraris supercars in January ..in the UK ?? !!

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Plain silly and it had a negative effect on the test when you read it.

But hey, look at the bright side, they could have done it in January in Chicago!
    :)

4. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    I'm a stunch evo defender, so I will go to bat for them.

Are these the worst test conditions, or just the toughest? In a perfect world we'd all be at Imola driving these cars, but how often does that happen? These less than ideal test conditions brought the car's qualities and difficencies into the light of day. That is far more interesting to me than some dry acceleration or skidpad statistics. Yes it's one man's opinion, but numbers simply cannot tell the whole story, that's where evo comes in.

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I certainly appreciate a personal driving experience in an article more than anything and I just happen to be a huge 288 GTO fan, so I should be happier than a clam. However the test still left me somewhat unsatisfied. And in all fairness a test where the Enzo doesn't win outright is really biased. And as I said, I'm primarily a GTO fan, not an Enzo fan.

Bottom line is, that I had the feeling they couldn't let win the obvious winner (Enzo) because that wouldn't sell enough stories. It is much racier if you have the "underdog" win it.

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Good points but I disagree. I think the basis for the test was to use and test the cars were the owners would be driving them most of the time. On the street. This is the only test that will show how capable a car really is, in day to day driving conditons and road condition. Read the section on how the 288GTO basicly runs away from the the other cars in the test because of the road conditons. There is also another comment regarding the Enzo on how it spent to much time on a flat track rather then on a real road. I belive this to be the idea of the test. Not pure speed numbers but as an individual might use the car, if they were fortunate enough to own on of these beasts.

7. eurperules

eurperules Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    belgium
    Full Name:
    stijn quintyn
  8. kotaro

kotaro Rookie

Oct 8, 2004