Javan Smith - The man and his models | FerrariChat

Javan Smith - The man and his models

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by R33, Jul 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. R33

R33 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    Kent,UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Creed
    #1 R33, Jul 13, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I dare say most of you have heard of Javan Smith. His scale models are amongst the best out there and generally fetch a fair sum in the auctions these days.
    Last year, i had the pleasure of meeting him,infact he invited back to his workshop for a chat. What a fantastic workshop, seeing old and new models of Ferraris and Jaguars and Le-Mans cars etc. A hive of motorsport memories in miniature.
    It all kicked off when we were browsing the shops in a small village, when my son noticed this unusual sports car in the car park. We had a nose around it, admiring its Carbon parts and build and low and behold, the owner, then unknown to me, along with his wife, returned to the car, after a pub lunch..
    We got chatting and it turned out that the car was a prototype of his own design and build that he was preparing to put into small production.
    With a kind offer of a look at the car close up and a nose around the workshop, we followed him back to his home.A very nice retreat with a view out to see that was most picturesque....The ideal working environment.
    As i work with composites and pattern making for F1 cars and Le-mans cars etc, we had a good chat about his ongoing project, trying to overcome some niggles and general build questions( never thought i'd be advising someone with so much classic car knowlede :) ).
    The models were just superb. Such detail and perfection.
    Anyway,here's a few shots of the man himself and his prototype and some models.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt Karting

Jul 31, 2004
    That first car is an R33 Skyline.

What's the story there? I have one of those myself.

T.

3. R33

R33 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    Kent,UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Creed
    Well not part of the post really, but its mine. Its the only other shot i had of Javan.
    YHPM Tony.

4. Swany

Swany Rookie

Nov 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    ------
    (Late post) Have seen Javan Smith models going through the roof on prices. Much nicer than Amalgam because he scratch built every model and now that Smith has moved on to full scale race cars the small scale ones will go up in value even more! Amalhams are nice and may be assembled by hand but are so perfect they look like a computer assembled them. Javan's models look like they came out of a major auto manufactures design studio with old world workmanship!

5. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Epic thread revival. Well done :)

6. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Amalgam are pretty special models, especially in the larger scales.

Any there other photos of Javan's models that I can view ?

7. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    NürScud and JOEV like this.
  8. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
    One of forum members Mr. Buck runs Automobilia magazine which recently had an article on Javan's models, nice to see the recognition of a fine model craftsman in print.

9. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Sorry to say, but this is very wrong on a number of points. I have personally bought and sold numerous Javan Smith models, as well as having seen many more. Also same for Amalgam. Javan's models do not always sell well, and the ones that sell at auction mostly sell for more than they are really worth. The auction houses consistent sales prices have elevated the retail & resale market to some degree. Every single Javan Smith model I have bought to resell has needed repairs - falling apart in some cases due to quick & dirty workmanship and poor/low quality materials...i.e. a lot of hot glue is used along with straws, etc. Not a pretty sight. Javan has always been involved with full scale cars, that's nothing new, and has NO reflection on values.

1) Javan's models have been selling well at auction for a number of years - really for more than they are worth. Even so, they really aren't so good, but they are big, and of popular cars, so that always gets attention. Some are better than others in that they have decent detail and capture the car fairly well. An example of two good Smith models are his Mercedes W196 GP car, and Jaguar C-Type. Examples of some of his worst are any of his Aston Martin DBR1 or DBR2 models, and GT40s, and others....
    2) They are NOT at all scratch built! That is completely wrong! Most auction houses and dealers don't really have a clue about making models, they all too often improperly describe and misrepresent models for sale. Javan's as well and many others. Buyer beware! Vacuum formed bodies with white metal and resin castings, generic wheels & tires, etc. They are essentially hand assembled kits. Granted Javan did make the masters, but again the models are NOT scratch built.
    3) You really can not and should not compare an Amalgam model to a Javan Smith model. Though I am NOT a fan of Amalgam, their models are far superior in every way to a Javan Smith piece.
    4) "Javan's models look like they came out of a major auto manufactures design studio..." NO they do not. Well maybe if you look at them from 20 or 30 feet away. The models made in ANY auto manufacturers design studios are far better.
    5) As a professional who has been involved in the specialty model car industry for 40 years (and I have some close ties with car mfgs, and other as well) your statement about value: "....now that Smith has moved on to full scale race cars the small scale ones will go up in value even more!" Is wrong for many reasons. None of which do I need to explain. They will NOT go up in value due to his work with real cars. And as I already mentioned, he's been involved with real cars for a long time...

Your post appears to me, to read like one that is trying to "pump the market" for Javan Smith models.

10. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Thanks for the plug David, but we have never had any article on Javan Smith models, and there are no plans to. Maybe you're thinking of the four part series we recently did on Michele Conti who did makes his model from scratch. Conti models are a perfect example of true old world craftsmanship and making everything by hand.

11. Swany

Swany Rookie

Nov 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    ------
    Thank you for your opinion! I like his models more than Amalgam. You did not change my mind. Sorry

12. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    You're welcome, but my statements were fact, not opinion, and what I wrote was to educate. Anyone is of course entitled to like what they want to, and to have their opinions as you do, but dissemination of incorrect (wrong) information is never good. All I did was state accurate and correct information.

Rosey likes this.
  13. Swany

Swany Rookie

Nov 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    ------
    No matter what the "god" of scale models says, I will continue to collect Javan Smith models. Too much drama, underlining things and bold caps. Really??!! Just cancelled my subscription to Automobilia!!!

14. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Buddy this is a forum ffs !!

If you can't handle a bit of educated, informed feedback then you may as well cancel your "subscription" to Ferrarichat too !!

Lusso123 likes this.
  15. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    #15 Rosey, Nov 9, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
    Glad we agree on point 3. From the photos I've seen of Javan's models they are a world away from Amalgam- and so should they be.

Amalgam is a relatively large company with their own purpose built resources, access to the real vehicles and a large number of skilled personnel.

The Rothmans William's pictured above looks like a 1/12 scale Minichamps model from the mid to late 1990's. Good, but nothing compared to modern large scale models of today.

Lusso123 likes this.
  16. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    That's a pretty snarky remark. Noticed you have less than 10 posts, which is fine, but the 'attitude' is not. There are so many other ways you could have approached the subject of these models and engaged in a good conversation. FYI...Underlining and bold is a way to emphasize something without yelling. This is a forum, where a variety and huge amount of good solid information is available from many knowledgeable sources - plenty of great information from numerous members just for the asking... for free. I often learn a lot from a number of posts in the assorted forums on Fchat. As the saying goes: "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen." And we're ok with your cancellation of your subscription.

jm2 and Rosey like this.
  17. Swany

Swany Rookie

Nov 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    ------
    What a JA!

18. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    User Swany and E.Ferrari are the same user. Violation of forum rules prohibiting multiple accounts by the same user. E.Ferrari account merged into Swany account.

Swany given a 1 month ban for having multiple accounts and coming back to attack another user for comments made 15 months ago.

till.a.fischer, gt4me and Lusso123 like this.
  19. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    What's a JA ??

Does he mean jack a$$ ?

20. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010