Jay Leno 3500 GTI transmission swap | FerrariChat

Jay Leno 3500 GTI transmission swap

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by JCR, May 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Out with the old, in with the new. Jay Leno swaps ZF trans for Tremec TKX 5 speed at 4:42 into the video.

BJK likes this.
  2. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I have a Tremec 5 speed in a 1952 Jaguar XK120 roadster and it completely transformed the car. I love how that car shifts. Granted the 4 speed Moss box, without first gear synchronization, originally in the XK120 is archaic compared to the ZF 5 speed found on the 3500GT. Still, this 3500 GTi should shift very nicely with its new gearbox.

Ivan

3. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    T-5? The TKX is a brand new design for more torque and hp. Mostly targeted to the muscle car resto mods.

4. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I am pretty sure it is a T-5 as it was installed about 8 years ago.

Ivan

JCR likes this.
  5. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Sacrilege.

6. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Do you want to look at cars or drive them. If it is the former and the car doesn't drive well from the factory then park it and admire it. If, on the other hand, some minor modifications will make the car enjoyable and make you want to drive it, then do so. If you make changes but want to make it possible to return to the original build, then save the parts and document the changes so that some future owner can reverse the process if they chose.

psw, BJK, Froggie and 1 other person like this.
  7. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I wouldn't call this a minor modification and if you're not Jay Leno I think it's probably a very expensive proposition to get it done well. He has a tremendous amount resources to ensure that it does and I don't just mean money. His shop is amazing. Also, a 3500 isn't a very rare car. Were their transmissions really that big of a problem?

8. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Changing out a transmission that is hidden from ordinary view is not a major upgrade when you consider the value of a good driving 3500. Granted making the new bell housing and having a new prop shaft made isn't cheap but given the value of the car they are perfectly acceptable as expenses if you aim is to enjoy the car through regular driving. If you don't plan to drive the car very often then leave it as it is but otherwise upgrades such as Jay Leno made are fine. Mind you, Jay Leno has so many cars that his collection is the exception to the rule of frequent verses infrequent driving but for most people who don't have such a large collections and have far fewer cars or even one which they like to drive as much as they can, why not make the experience as pleasant as possible but for future owners make sure you save the old parts and document the changes so that the car can go through a restoration to original configuration.

psw, staatsof and BJK like this.