Jay Leno's Garage - the Merlin engine | FerrariChat

Jay Leno's Garage - the Merlin engine

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by BMW.SauberF1Team, Aug 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Amazing on so many levels!

3. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    The book he was showing in the video is an excellent read on the development of the piston engines the allies used in WWII. And the Landcaster flying over with a 4 merlins in sync. is music to the ears.

4. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Hello, not sure yes the Merlin is a wonderful engine, but didn't the P-51d originally have Allisons and then went to the Rolls Royce Engine which gave them the power and longer range that gave them the edge over the Axis.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The Merlin is one reason that the de Havilland Mosquito is my favorite WWII aircraft. The fighter-bombers that did most of the daring low-level raids used single-stage engines like this one. The P-51 used the V-1650-7, which had two-stage supercharging which was superior at high altitudes.

(If I would put forward another possible choice for "greatest aero piston engine", I would suggest the Pratt & Whitney R-2800 18-cylinder radial. Consider the large number of successful airplanes that it powered.)

Here is a video of the Canadians' Lancaster taking off at the Virginia Beach airshow in 2013. While I did not shoot the video, I was there and witnessed this takeoff.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e78QY4y5SI[/ame]

Incidentally, I own both of the books that Jay showed in the video, and I can recommend both of them highly.

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    As far as how engines sound, my picks all have 12 cylinders. Automotive-wise, I'd choose any Ferrari 12 of the 60s or 70s, whether V-12 or flat-12. And aviation-wise, clearly the Merlin!

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    The P51-A used the Allison, but the B/C used Rolls Royce Merlins and the D used the licensed Merlin 66 made by Packard (V1650-7). That is similar to the one Jay Leno has, which is a V1650-1 (based on Merlin 28).

8. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    That is a pretty sound...if not beautiful. It's it's own. Like none other. And it resonates...with the soul.

9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Re R2800. I was thinking the same thing. That engine was literally bullet proof and provided strong and reliable power to many fighters and bombers and has to be not only the best radial engine but the best engine period. Power, durability, low maintenance, dependable, and could take damage and keep running. Nothing like it.

10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Agree... R-2800... Hellcat, Corsair, 'Jug', etc. The best engine over the course of the war. IMO. (Love the sound of a big radial.)

The Brits will disagree as the Merlin won the Battle of Britain.

I read that the P-51A with the Allison performed so poorly that they were turned down by the US... and packed off to the Brits.
    They also agreed that it was not a competitive plane and decided to salvage them with a swap to the supercharged Merlins.

Voila'.

...and the US did a second take and installed US made Packard Merlins.

Not sure if it's true or not...

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I seem to remember that the Allison lacked an adequate supercharger set up and it limited the high altitude performance of the P-51A and the P-39. For some reason the US Army Air Corps didn't believe in the value of the super charger. The P-39 was an effective ground attack weapon with the Russians.

12. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    This week,the RAF has grounded all of the Merlin powered historic flight,due to a fault (not specified) found in one of the RR Merlins. Having run reliably for 75 years,I wonder what the problem is. I hope they can overcome the problem,and make required mods.

13. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Absolutely. That's why I'm glad that, after an absence, there are now flying Mosquitos again.

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The Allison was a perfectly good engine below 10,000 feet, which it why it worked so well with the Soviets. At high altitudes it needed turbocharging, which only the P-38 had. At war's end, Allison finally developed good supercharging for its engine, which was used that way in some F-82 Twin Mustangs.

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    A pretty good hit parade for the R-2800: B-26, P-47, P-61, F4U, F6F, F7F, F8F, A-26, PV, AF, AJ, C-46, C-82, C-123, Martin 2-0-2/4-0-4, CV-240/340/440, H-37, DC-6.....that's quite an all-star team!

18. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    What engine did the B29 have ? I know it was a big radial, but read somewhere it was terribly unreliable and caused many B29 losses, so I can think it cant be and R2800 as that seemed to work in everything else,
    As a brit of course I love the Merlin sound (although I think the Griffon is better), but the sound of a big radial firing up and billowing smoke out is the best.
    Just this last weekend I heard a P38 in full song for the first time, what a noise that is....that whistle... awesome..

19. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Isn't that the Aircraft Engine Union's mandatory retirement age???? :) :)

20. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#20 Tcar, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    R-3350 twin cyclone... turbosupercharged. Big horsepower.

Cooling issues on takeoff at full load (which was pretty much every takeoff in wartime, had a lot of magnesium so the engines themselves caught fire at times. That was the end of the plane as the wing would catch and separate from the plane.

The electric controlled props were also a big problem, causing engine failure.

They were used postwar on airliners; Constellation, DC-7 as turbo compound versions and were better, but it was not uncommon for a TWA Connie to land with 3 turning in London after an Atlantic flight.

The later B-50 (B-29 on steroids) had the R-4360, 4 row, 28 cyl monster, over 3,000 HP. They were more reliable.

21. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Beautiful sound from a beautiful engine, thanks for sharing!

22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    When you look at the design of the Merlin engine, you have to wonder just how much we have LOST in engineering and manufacturing over time.

These were designed with pencil on paper, built with normal tools by hand, and without computers assisting them.

Could we do that today? I'm not sure.

In fact, I'm not sure anyone today can do math in their heads without a calculator!

23. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    The guys with whom I went to college at Harvey Mudd could. easily.

24. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #24 Bob Parks, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    When I was in PD I worked with many engineers who often made "rough" calculations in their head that were within small percentages of final instrument calculations. If you asked them to explain it to you, they couldn't do it in plain english because it always broke down into mathematical functions. Some of those guys are scary. I gave a talk recently about my aviation work and some of the young folks that looked at some of my old drawings couldn't get over that they were done by hand on linen and that all the airplane structural parts were drawn by hand full size. Please see parkzart.com/about/ My website that has the video made of my narrating my art. Also on YouTube
    Stories Of Bob Parks Art At The Schack Art Center 2017.

25. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I don't think it could be done today by the younger generations without computers. Having to do math in ones head went away many decades ago. :(