JB Weld-Alum. Coolant Pipe | FerrariChat

JB Weld-Alum. Coolant Pipe

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RussF, Jun 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RussF

RussF Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    In a prior thread about my coolant pipe leak caused by rubbing on the gas tank strap fitting I said that I was getting the hole welded. As it happened I learned that aluminum welding is tricky and risks overheating and severely damaging the pipe. Since the welders that I talked to did not inspire confidence I decided to use the expoxy called JB Weld. I called the company and told them where it would be used and said that I was worried about different coefficients of expansion (weld v. aluminum). I was told not to worry that it would hold.

I carefully cleaned out the groove in the pipe and applied the JB Weld and let it cure for a day. It seemed to be a good hard "weld" in the groove so I put the pipe back on the car but for insurance cut a radiator hose in half and put it over the weld with two hose clamps securing it. I figure that if the weld breaks that the hose will keep the coolant from surging out and will allow me to get home, take the pipe out and get it properly welded.

Here it is two weeks into the JB Weld and after some hard runs the weld seems to be holding firm. If that changes I will so report.

Also I no longer have a problem with air buidling up on the system which was a problem before this fix.

2. kirill

kirill Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Kirill
    Most guarded secret in auto repair - if you cannot ducted tape it - JB Weld it.

That stuff really holds. I JB welded broken shower handle - after 5 months of heavy usage in a moisture environment - still fine.

3. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    What will happen is the anti freeze will attack the JB Weld as well.I have never had any success with JB Weld for any types of repairs on my vehicles for my business.

Find someone with a tig welder such as used at bodyshops for thin metal, should fix it easily.

4. Harmonyautosport

Harmonyautosport Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2006
    New York
    Its a ferrari, fix it the proper way. Find somone with a TIG welder.

5. msouza

msouza Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Milton Souza
    Hi Russ,

The JB Weld will not hold for too long, the antifreeze agent will compromise the epoxy, and it will star to leak again. Also, be very careful with using hose clamps to hold the rubber hose on the pipe, because the clamps can rub against your fuel tank and then the leak will be in a much worse location.

Find a good radiator repair shop in town, and ask if they can do aluminium weld with a TIG welder. I paid $45.00 to have mine repaired a couple month ago, and it came out perfect.

If you can't find anyone, and if you like, you can FedEx the pipe to me, and I will take to the local repair shop who fixed mine, and FedEx it back to you.

Regards,

Milton

6. RussF

RussF Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Thanks Milton. I was expecting you to reply with your usual insightful and helpful comments. I could have shopped around and found someone theo could do the job but I was anxious to get on the road. If the current setup begins to leak I will just take the pipe off again and find a TIG welder.

By the way I was careful to keep the hose clamps away from the tank.