Jenson Button is F1 chief's hot tip | FerrariChat

Jenson Button is F1 chief's hot tip

Discussion in 'F1' started by jk0001, Mar 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25212686-11088,00.html

Paul Gover

March 20, 2009 12:00am
    THE top man in Formula One is tipping Jenson Button to win the Australian Grand Prix.

Bernie Ecclestone said Button's pace in pre-season testing and the speed of the first car from Brawn GP points to a pace-setting performance on the Albert Park circuit.

Button could be a serious title contender under the new system where the world champion is decided on number of wins, with everything from wings and tyres to engines and gearboxes shaken up this season, the Formula One supremo said.

"I suppose an awful lot will depend on these regulations, but if Brawn has got it right, then there is a chance that for the first three races we could maybe see Jenson winning," Ecclestone said.

"Now that it is not points that decides the championship, if he has three races in his pocket then it is not bad.

"Although I suppose in the end you have to look at the old timers like (Fernando) Alonso, (Kimi Raikkonen), Felipe (Massa) and Mr (Lewis) Hamilton."

Ecclestone said there was every chance of another F1 back-room brawl over the way some teams have designed their cars according to the 2009 regulations.

"I guarantee whoever wins the races in Melbourne will be told they are cheating, and it doesn't matter who it is," Ecclestone said.

"In this case it seems two teams, maybe three, certainly Toyota and Brawn, have interpreted the regulations in a different way to the other teams.

"The FIA at the moment says that interpretation is correct, but possibly some other teams will put in a protest before Melbourne. It won't affect racing but will be looked at after."

Despite his prediction of a Button win in Melbourne, Ecclestone said local hero Mark Webber could also be set for a breakthrough victory in 2009.

"I think Mr Webber has all the talent he needs to win and be world champion. And (he's) a charming guy as well. He just needs to be in the right car at the right time," he said.

Go Button! :D

2. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    LOL I'am a rat Jim, I have jumped ship Go Button!!...:D

3. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    That sucks and you just finished paying for that Hamilton tattoo....
    :D

4. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ha ha LOL I need a laugh..;)

5. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    I think Rubens will outperform button, but both look poised to do well.