Jim Busby Looking... | FerrariChat

Jim Busby Looking...

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Jul 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Jim Busby is looking for a piece of memorabilia that is important to him. Any sports, racing, BMW
    or Porsche memorabilia collectors especially in the SoCal area may be able to help.

Per Instagram post, read on…

I have special request of all my followers and friends.

At the 1976 Ontario IMSA race Peter Gregg in his BMW CSL and me in my Brumos Porsche Carrera RSR
    had a race long battle for the lead. The BMW had a power advantage so I was unable to pass him for the win.

Finally on the last lap going into turn one I made a banzai braking move on him. We came together and we
    both spun. I got restarted before Peter did and got back the the finish line first to win the race. When I was asked what happed in the winners circle I said, “He was holding me up for a long time and I moved him out of the way, that’s racing”.

Naturally Peter was not real happy!

However, the following week at Lime Rock during the Sunday pre race picnic Peter’s crew guys walked in with something under a blanket. After the usual talks by John Bishop and the IMSA officials Peter stood up and congratulated me on the Ontario win and pulled the cover off the BMW door which they had replaced.

They had painted on the door,
“Ontario Motor Soeedway May 1976 
First Place Jim Busby Porsche 
Second
    Place Peter Gregg BMW 
That’s Racing”

Peter presented me with the door and we took it back to our shop in California where it hung in the workshop for many years as a prized trophy form my friend and fierce competitor. Several years later a restaurant named Speedway opened in Newport Beach, Ca. and the manager came to our shop and asked to borrow the door to display along with lots of other racing memorabilia from many other racing figures.

I told him that it was very special to me and I couldn’t let it out of my sight. After months of begging I said that I would loan the door to him if he promised to personally return it to me.

A year went by and I had returned to Europe to race. When I returned I discovered the the restaurant was gone and so was my door. I called all of the numbers that I had and the guy had vanished.

We are now In the process of redoing the shop and I would love to get the door back and hang it where it was before the restaurant borrowed it.

If anyone out there knows the whereabouts of my door I would really love the get it back.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

I have included here pictures of the door as it was given to me by my friend Peter and of my car at the race.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jim

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login