Jim- Lusso is not a $250K car yet!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Jim- Lusso is not a $250K car yet!!

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by geno berns, Jan 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    We've gone over this again and again. It is probably not fair to use the price including commissions... because the seller pays commissions too. If it's 10% on both sides of a deal, then it's true that a $500k hammer price cost the buyer $550k, but it is also true that the seller only got $450k.

The price at which something sells is the point where the buyer and seller meet, and it's just as true that the above mentioned car is available for $450k as it is that people are willing to pay $550k. The only fair price to use is the hammer price.

2. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht

Craig Jackson - is that you? :)

3. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I just returned from Scottsdale - for me it seemed that top cars are still bringing big bucks, but the biggest surprise was that cars in the $50K to $200K range were still strong sellers. I certainly did leave with the sense that there were bargains galore. Lussos at $550 hammer still represents a 150% move since 2003, so I wouldn't call that a "great deal". Not to mention a 288 GTO at $550K hammer, or an Enzo at $1.15M hammer.

FYI to the auction newbies - "Auction Estimates" are nothing more than marketing tools, and do not represent anything other than the auction company's best efforts to separate you from as much of your money as possible. I thought that Gooding was smart to make the "low estimates" much higher than the reserve, in order to facilitate the deal - this little trick certainly helped his sell-through numbers.

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #29 Napolis, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
    First some think the 2MM+ Monterey RM 4 Cam is a Fluke. Now you're saying the 2MM+ May RM 4 Cam is also a fluke?

1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4 $2,042,700 Sold (RM May)

That one I happen to know. Sal and I lent a hand when it failed to proceed at Villa d'Este. John is a very nice guy and does very nice work but what exactly makes that car a fluke? Does it have some Competition History or details that I'm not taking into account?

The math I get is the 4 Cam that sold at RM on Friday sold for 1.2MM LESS than the sale in May. Remember Geno already dismissed the RM Monterey 4 Cam Sale as a fluke. Please explain why John's car sale at May RM was yet another Fluke that should be dismissed.

The Swatters Lusso is a Fluke? Mike's Lusso was a Fluke? How about the other Lusso that sold for 1.17MM at RM in May. That one a Fluke as well? The math I get is the RM Friday GTL sold for 557K less than the lower sale GTL at RM in May.

The percentage drop over 9 months from those examples is a bit more than 20-30%. I get -50% for the GTL and -60% for the 4 Cam. Please feel free to correct me.

5. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    :)

6. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    W/a new car, is the sale price what the mfg realizes, or the dealer?

7. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    OK, OK, the world is coming to an end, but before it does I am looking to buy a nice low-mileage unmolested F40 for $180k.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Reverend George Foreman here rarely drives his.....LOL!

And Mattress Mac just took his static display out of Gallery Furniture, and sent it for a tune up!
    It hadn't moved in years...

Anything to help........both are bone stock, North American as far as I know.....

9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    From what I know, George junior has taken on exercising duties of the George Foreman Ferrari F40, and Big George has absolutely no need to sell anything, especially not for $180k!! Can you imagine if I presented him with a check for $180k (which I have already written, upon the advice of another poster, by the way) and he had a flashback to that night in Kingston in 1973?? :-0

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Maybe throw it into the offering plate, in a key swap....;)

11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Getting serious for a moment (which I find hard to do on these threads), I have no problem if someone points out top-of-the-tree values for objects that are THE SAME.

The problem is that Jim frequently does this with objects that are NOT THE SAME. A standard street Lusso is NOT THE SAME as a Competizione first-of-a-series Lusso, and the Competizione Lusso should never have been brought into the discussion. A Steve Mc Queen icon-of-the-last-century Lusso is NOT THE SAME as another similarly restored Lusso, and that car should never be brought into the discussion.

When someone consistently uses examples that are NOT THE SAME to bolster their spin or arguments that the market has fallen MORE than it really has, thats not fair.

Look, the market has fallen! There, I said it. But lets be accurate in our representation of by how much...

12. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    You playing the Astaire role in a remake of "On The Beach"? ;)

13. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

14. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Does this all mean that a GM Futureliner bus is NOT worth $2 million anymore??? Oh the humanity.........

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

Hey Thoughts With You on Your Friend. Hope they burn that MF.

Best

16. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    that would be 0492M

sorry, couldn't help myself

17. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks. I've been curious about that car for a long time.

18. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Next August should be a good indicator.

I don't think the claim of a 30% drop extends to all makes and models, but maybe the usual stuff you can find on kbb.com. The top cars are far too distinct to pigeonhole. Classic Ferraris should be dealt with on an individual basis anyhow, especially considering how varied specification and history can be.

19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Yes.

20. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
    People have a very interesting way of comparing their investments to their all time high value. Yes 275GTB4Cs were $1.2 a year ago and are now worth $900K BUT THEY WERE $400K just a few years ago. Yes, Daytonas have fallen from $400K to $300K but they were $150K for 5+ years. Don't compare your house to what it was worth in 2005 (unless you bought it them), don't compare your stock portfolio to October 2007 values and don't compare your your Ferrari value to the all time peak. All of these will do fine over reasonable measurement periods.....

21. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #46 geno berns, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
    Jim-

I think we are in agreement on what's written below. But we first need to wait 2.5 more years to know if your assessment is correct. I will bet you $1. Lusso @...You, $250-$400K... I, $350-$600K. Bet proceeds payable to winner on May 2001!
    The only argument I was making was not what will be, but what is happening now. I have to agree that the auction result for the street Lusso that sold for $1.1MM at the RM auction in Italy last year must be taken consideration, but to a point. Or, the bidders were in mesmerized by the auction setting and paid up like never before for some of the cars, as the cars were being sold at the location of their birth. I think a better indicator would be to use an average to get a good sense of what the market was or is doing, Lusso or 275 GTB no matter. We will than see that some of these cars have suffered little so far. Lets create a "52 week average" for collectible cars.

Looking forward to it, see you soon,

Gene.

22. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    No place has my view been "sunny-side-up". You must be referring to BJ CEO's point of view. In fact both Joe and I have maintained that the prices are sliding and neither of us have pretended to have a crystal ball to say where we will be in 2009 or 2010. The the doom and gloom has already been built into the market for some time. However many cars at auction are doing surprisingly well. This can change any time off course. When it does I will be happy to add one or two cars that have gotten out of reach.

Gene.

23. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    For any car, it's where supply meets demand. The manufacturer sells the cars to the dealer below market price, and at a discount below MSRP (where MSRP isn't market price, usually). That situation does not exist with an auction, so IMO it's not a valid comparison.

24. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #49 Napolis, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
    Me Too.

Best

25. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie