Jim Spiro ex F50 at Copart | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Jim Spiro ex F50 at Copart

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by 308nut, Oct 8, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I watched a video last year a driver on a race track in Finland who passed out from carbon monoxide poisoning. There was so much built up inside the car that it actually created a film on the inside of the windows before he was completely out of it. You can watch it here if interested:

Carbon monoxide nearly costs this track day racer his life - Autoblog

Maybe I am ignorant of the dangers, but I still find it pretty difficult to believe that could occur in a car like the F50 without the roof on to the point of causing an accident.

>8^)
    ER

2. Georgescott

Georgescott Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2009
    Firstly the exhaust pipe crack was probably used as an excuse, from this sort of impact I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up cracking therefore that could form a basis for CO poisoning etc...

Secondly, all the insurance company has to do is look up videos of this 'Black F50' guy driving in New York and they will come to one conclusion that many others here already have...

Just saying...

500drvr likes this.
  3. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    #28 Zack, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
    It may be something else like reckless driving and the exhaust may not have been leaking before the crash, but certainly CO levels can build up inside an open vehicle. Air that is not moving is at a higher pressure than air that is moving, all other things being equal. That means the driver is sitting in a cocoon of relatively still air even in an open car. And open cars are designed to keep still air in the cockpit, to prevent buffeting and wind noise and maintain the mistress' expensive hairdo. So, CO seeping into an open cockpit environment can and will sit there and gain in concentration. The rate at which it is expelled outside the car will easily become less than the rate at which it accumulates at even very small leakage/seepage rates.

As for the legal mumbo jumbo cited above, it's all down to the presentation and the jury and the weather and a whole host of intangible factors. That's why America "loves" its lawyers and that's why poor black people get the exact same "justice" as rich white folk! ;)

4. ApeGen

ApeGen Formula 3
    Owner

Jun 3, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Looks like a good parts car.

5. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I would say that was a sub 20 mph collision with a solid object such as a tree, probably under breaking from a much higher speed.

It does not take a lot of speed to cause such damage when the object is solid and does not move

Agree about the monoxide thing, people who commit suicide by that method have to have the engine running for some time and all ventilation etc closed.

that car will live again and very soon

6. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    The CO story is true; dude is lucky to be alive. Thankfully and miraculously, he's okay.

I weep for the infamous 'F50K' and hope that someone will rebuild it. Jim, how about a P4/50? ;)

7. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    It would be a perfect platform for a one off.

8. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    If you wanna do a Kickstarter, I can pledge $100. :D

9. Ferariguy3

Ferariguy3 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    Yorktown, NY
    Full Name:
    John

thank you for confriming

10. Garymyman

Garymyman Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2008
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Gray
    #35 Garymyman, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Quite a coincidence for the ONLY example of an F50 having a severe CO leak into the [open] cockpit just happens to be the same guy who has a handful of videos of him driving like a jackass all over Pennsylvania. Also quite coincidental that a car as meticulously maintained would have such a catastrophic failure, read the service records here: http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/cardetail.php?reqcardir=FE-F50-104799

Also: the Engine and exhaust are behind the driver, "enclosed" in a mesh-backed clam shell (see photo). There's nowhere for CO to build up.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Disco dash aside, the last analog super-12.

Might be cool to have the factory redo w/F50 GT bodywork in black ...

12. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Go for it.

:)

13. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    And if, because Certs is two mints in one, and so it is "not possible" to have a factory road-going F50 GT - a Zagato take could be interesting ...

14. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Just don't claim to be a former Le Mans winner after all the work is done and things should be okay. ;)

>8^)
    ER

15. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    :eek:

wowzers.

16. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    Have you seen, how often it was removed and reinstalled?

Heard of one Japanese F50 on which the Tubi Header had a crack and the different new header also cracked...

17. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Someone is going to get a great project with this thing. Wish I could.....

18. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Carbon fiber can be repaired its not an impossible feat.

Bid is up to 95k

19. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Yes, however, structural carbon repair is much more debatable.

20. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    when, in fact, I'm Lamborghini's wonder boy of sales?

21. AJ

AJ Formula 3

Jun 23, 2008
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipgJ13hB2-I]Ferrari F50 flying over bridge in NYC - YouTube[/ame]

22. michael66899

michael66899 Karting

Jul 12, 2004
    Bellingham
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If and when its actually fixed what do you guys think its actually worth with a branded title?

23. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    it's one of four black F50s....assuming it's repaired correctly, probably won't hurt its value much.

how many $10mm+ Ferraris at one point were smashed into a wall at a racetrack and repaired?

24. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I would probably disagree that this tub is scrap, from the photos alone.

We looked at acquiring an LMP1 car, and one of the questions we had was what would happen if we pranged the tub. We were assured (and then reassured) by those in the industry that tub damage can now be more than adequately repaired. Easier if you have the tub molds, but even without them, the tub can be scanned and patterned, if necessary.

As vendors become more familiar with and adept at using the materials and technologies, their capabilities expand. I've seen some repairs to CF that I didn't think possible.

CW

25. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    An accident at the hands of what seems to be a careless individual doesn't have quite the same mystique as in-period racing damage. I agree that as time progresses the likely impact of this impact on the cars value will lessen, but most buyers would rather acquire a non-story car (when the story is like this) if they can.

Hopefully someone saves this one - its the first black F50 I ever had the good fortune to see.

>8^)
    ER