Joint Friendly Exercise | FerrariChat

Joint Friendly Exercise

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by UroTrash, Jul 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    In general, what type of cardio exercise equipment is easiest on the joints?

(Swimming is not possible)

2. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    #2 Artherd, Jul 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
    Biking?
    Elliptical?
    Climbing wall?
    The cross country skiing simulatros (don't know what they are called, Nordic trac or something)
    Rowing?

I am just thinkging whatever does not have a lot of impact.

3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I love elliptical machines. There are "skiing" ones with arm exercise (preferred) and "stairs" ones.

4. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Thats what my wife got. The thing is huge, about 8 feel long. Seems to be gentle on the joints: I wondered if it really is good for long term use with marginally arthritic knees.

5. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Biking and other non weight bearing activities. Treadmills and elliptical units have joint compression since you are weight bearing. I'm unsure if your arthritic joints are your knees, hips or both. If your knees are the problem and you have difficulty with the first steps when getting up from a sedentary position try sitting on the edge of the bed in the morning or the chair before you get up and swing your legs like you are a kid on a swing for a few minutes.

Our joints have a capsule surrounding them called the synovial capsule. This capsule produces joint lubrication fluid ( synovial fluid ) similar to engine oil in our cars. In post op, injured, arthritic joints the process in which this fluid is produced is delayed. By swinging your legs prior to standing it will give your body a chance to recognize that it needs to produce fluid thus decreasing those agonizing first steps after periods of being sedentary.

I know swimming is not an option but it is the best non impact exercise.

6. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    As an aside--Dan's advice (I'm a doc, but not Ortho, PM&R, etc.) is consistently excellent.

One concern--a stationary upright bike (especially if you try to push a difficult gear) can exacerbate condromalacia patella (pain behind the kneecap). I've heard (and perhaps Dan can comment) that recumbent bikes are better in this regard.

Also, remember that some weight bearing exercise can be important for maintaining bone mineralization. Walking (especially on a padded treadmill deck, with appropriate shoes) could be a good "mix in" for whatever else you decide to do.

7. js430

js430 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Jerry Kahane
    +1000000 Dan helped me out greatly via PMs.

Dan, the piriformis issue is 95% resolved. Thanks a million! The tennis ball therapy was awesome. Two meniscal tears to deal with now...and there is a significant amount of pain--presumably from the inflammation. Icing and 600mg advil don't seem to be doing anything. Any advice? I don't really want to go in for a menisectomy just yet.

8. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Like Dan said, we do not use elliptical or anything that has serious weight on the legs for these type of injuries. Stationary bikes and the like are generally used but nothing like trail riding where you will be subjecting your body to bounces and sudden impact events. (Swimming (the impossibility) is really the best thing for you and I would be surprised if you do not have a county or country club or some kind of pool you can use with in 20 miles.)

FYI: knee injuries are the #1 non-combat injury forcing people out of the corps last I checked. A torn meniscus just takes donkeys years to get back right.

9. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Jerry, Scotty and Drstrangelove,

Thank you for the kind comments.

Jerry, mensical tears do not heal on their own. Sometimes they may scar down and you may have decreased symptoms. Most of the time they need to do debriedment of the torn meniscus via arthroscopic surgery. There are certain times that the mensicus can be repaired but the rehab is much slower as you are not able to weight bear immediately post surgery. You are doing the right things if you are not ready for a menisectomy.

Scotty, You are correct that increased resistance on either a recumbent or sitting bike can increase retro patellar forces. Especially if you have patellar tracking problems. One way to decrease a lateral tracking patella while riding a bike is to turn your toes outward slightly. Recumbent bikes decrease this as well as not having excessive flexion while riding. You are also correct in regards to loss of bone mineralization with too much non weight bearing activities. This is why astronauts have a significant loss of bone mass post long space trips. It is a fine line when exercising to stay healthy and doing too much that actually damages the body. FYI,You also lose 3% of your strength per day if you are bedridden.

Drstrangelove, I would not doubt that meniscal tears are the number one injury in the military.

There are 2 types of exercise: open chain and closed chain. Open chain activities are when your foot is in the air during activities (seated knee extension, seated /lying flexion ). Open chain activities are not as functional but are good for arthritic joints and meniscal injuries/rehab. Closed chain exercises are when your foot is in contact with a surface ( squats, leg press, lunges, etc..) More functional but more strain on the joints. I am not a fan of running at all. I don't care what kind of high you get.

Good luck Urotrash.

Dan

10. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    Dan I am not an expert but Aerobics "open chair" is one of the most effective ways for cardiovascular strength and muscle conditioning(Calisthenics) especially when your heart rate stays at 140bpms for a period over 30 minutes. IMO aerobics is easiest on your joints compared to machines-iron-land.

Dan if I don't get my 5 mile daily run I feel terrible lol

Eurotrash might I also recommend streching daily for 30 minutes your whole body, I mean really light stretchs to pump the blood in areas that are damaged, this promotes faster healing.

:)

11. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The rowing machines will destroy you! (in a good way) with little to NO resistance needed. Most of your work out is going to be a pulling motion with your arms and a little from your quads. This always gets me a huge heart rate but I don't to it that often. Im a big fan of the punching bag. :)

_J

12. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005

I hear about that runners high all the time. Runners are addicts and they keep me in business.

Another FYI- Cardiovascular training does not make your lungs and heart stronger. Your body's response to cardiovascular training is that it increases the amount of red blood cells. Red blood cells uptake oxygen and deliver it to your body tissue. Your body is extremely efficient and smart. If you are a couch potato there is no need for an overabundance of red blood cells because you are not requiring increased oxygen uptake by sitting on the couch. That is why these people get winded going to the mailbox.

After a period of time performing cardiovascular exercises your body increases the red blood cell production allowing your body to use more of the oxygen you are bringing into your lungs increasing your stamina. You are now working more efficintly.

Blood doping was deemed illegal because athletes were training at high altitude levels. These higher altitudes ( air ) had a lower oxygen content so their bodies produced more red blood cells than if they were at sea level. The athletes would then have some of their blood removed and saved and put it back in prior to their competitions. More red blood cells equals more endurance equals better chance of winning.

13. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    Dan you bring up some great info and I see your point. The heart is a muscle and my understanding is like any muscle with proper exercise it strengthens, and becomes more efficient beating less per minute. :)

Additional benefits by some researches claim running may help the intestinal tract stay health also weight loss, improved bone health, improved mood and better coordination, less tension, less depression, less fatigue, and less confusion.

14. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Fpassion,

I am giving you runners a bad time. Running does have great benefits, my point is that it may also do long term damage to the knee and hip joints. Just like smokers and drinkers, some live to be 105 and get hit by a bus, some die from a disease related to drinking/smoking. It is a roll of the dice. If I had a family history of osteoarthritis I would stay away from joint pounding aerobic activities.

Your heart is a muscle, cardiac muscle. Much different than musculoskeletal muscle. If the heart gets bigger it is known as cardiomegaly and that is a bad thing. Your point of becoming more efficient is correct. As we increase our red blood cell counts our body is using oxygen more efficiently therefore our heart does not need to beat as rapidly to maintain the body's oxygen needs.

I am enjoying these discussions.

Dan

15. veyron407

veyron407 Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    canada
  16. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What he said. Although I'm skeptical you really get much arm exercise with those.

If you set the resistance lower, I think you'd get the flexion without much stress, and zero impact.