JPM on the Malaysian GP | FerrariChat

JPM on the Malaysian GP

Discussion in 'F1' started by owsi, Mar 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. owsi

owsi Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Matt
    A quote from JPM:

"We might surprise ourselves and have a car that is quick enough to win here."

"Or maybe we'll surprise ourselves by being 10th. It's very hard to judge."

I know there are some JPM haters here, but that definately got a laugh from me. Of course, if MS had said it I probably wouldn't think it was funny.

The article it came from is here:

http://www.itv-f1.com/news/news_story/20163

2. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    That is the difference between MS and JPM

MS is thinker and a director of the team He rallys the team around him with the common goal of victory. Look back at last year when things were going tough for the team he did not bad mouth and make excuses. Instead he said we have some work to do. Then look at how MS and Rubens get along. Even though there are some underlying team orders and such. when MS struggled with the F2003-GA, Rubens steped up to the plate and took the fight to the competition.

With JPM saying me might be winners or we might be mid packers tells me that this guy while talented just does not have the desire not the skills to get the team to stand up and support him. Just look at the McLaren contract for next year. What does that say to the rest of the members of the team??? JPM with his infighting with Ralf and anouncing that he wants to move to the enemy at the end of the year just tears a team apart. Add Ralf to the Mix and it is a suprise that the Williams BMW dont have the tires fall off durring the formation lap.

When people think of Ferrari dominating F1 it is not just the car it is the team as a whole. They are all focused and they know what they want. Is there infighting at Ferrari??? I would have to say yes but they solve the problems behind closed doors and get it worked out instead of airing the issues out in public.

Just MHO

Rob

3. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    He's a putz!

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I don't know Rob. To me this sounds like a guy being honest and not giving a damn about PC and corporate image. Probably also has a lot to do with him already having that Mc Laren contract in his pocket.

I'm just tired of hearing MS speak in public. It is so polished PC speak.
    I'm not tired of watching him drive though...
    :)

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    "Team player" vs. "Me First, and where's the money?"

He's a lame duck anyway, you'd think someone would pull him aside and say "Shut the F__ up, and drive."

6. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Rob, good pionts indeed. JPM will not be taken seriously until he takes winning seriously.

It seems that someone really did break his @(*Q'ng head!

7. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
  8. Apex

Apex Rookie

Dec 1, 2003
    JPM is an extremely talented driver and lacks the class of a world champion. Me thinks IF and WHEN he does become WC his class will not accompany the rise...

9. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Andreas,

Lets take being PC and promoting your sponsors out of the equation for a moment. Just think about how the entire team from the designers to the toilet scrubbers felt after they found out over a year in advance that he would be going to the Enemy. Put yourself in there shoes would you support him 100%??? If you said yes i would have to call BS on that statement. Him announcing a year in advance that he would be switching is the same as taking a sledgehammer to the skull of the team. if it did not kill them it did a lot of damage that will take time to heal.

This is just another example that JPM does not have the total package to be a world champion. By telling the world that he is turning his back on the team that gave him his start in F1 over a year before it happens does not help Williams and it would not suprise myself that McLaren will have issues with it also. Do you think a team is wanting to work extra hard for a driver that can only whine and moan about his car and co-driver. The way JPM atttacks Ralf do you think that Ralf would fight as hard to get an extra position in the finishing order to allow JPM a championship?? Doubt it. Same goes is JPM going to help out Ralf is the table were turned?????

Now Mclarens team members are starting to think.. Is he going to push Kimi out of the way or call him an idiot it they bump tires racing? Is he going to bad mouth the car publicly (DC and Kimi are not much better on this count). is he going to stomp out of a press conference because the reported asked what his favorite mustard to put in his burrito??? If i was Ron Dennis i would be looking for a way out of the contract...

JT, Ross, Rory and MS after they retire from racing can make millions going around the world talking to corporations on the benifit of forming a strong team work principal.

Rob

10. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I've always liked Montoya, so it's a little hard for me to slam him. But you're right in assessing that letting his "passion" rule his head can lead to some damaging decision-making.

11. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Totally agree Ross, for the first time in my F1 loving life I feel sorry for Williams. These poor guys will be putting in a lot of effort for ungrateful, selfish, pig-headed, average drivers!

FW and PH should go to F3 and pull a couple of drivers up to F1 who want to be there instead of putting up with these prima donnas any longer, ..either that or pay Webber's contract out now and have him drive a competitive car to show up these buffoons, not that I'm biased or anything :)

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I agree that JPM is acting like a putz. I also agree that his early sig on the Mc Laren contract or the revealing of it, is probably not good for team morale.

OTOH I do like it, that there are guys like him left who don't give a damn about what anybody else thinks and just speak their minds (Jacques Villeneuve misunderstood that and turned it into constant whining). That's why I'm such a big fan of Eddie Irvine. Whether that is helpful to the team is another matter. But I find it refreshing in a world where people like MS have to have their own press secretary who writes all the lines he is going to say for him. That is just silly (I'm not making this part up btw. He hired her after the fiasco with Weber in 99 in regards to his delayed comeback).

I also found yesterday's press conference interesting where Ralf was so ticked off at JPM's passing maneuver in Australia, that he said next time he would bump him (or something like that). And Coulthard liked it, then quickly caught himself and said, he shouldn't have said that (remember JPM is taking DC's seat, so no love lost between those two). THAT is the kind of stuff I'd like to hear. Not what some PR and PC educated secretary has to say through the mouth of MS.

As far as the Williams team is concerned: To some degree they deserve the mess they're in right now: Frank has always been unkeen to pay much $$$ for his drivers and has lost several Champions in the process (Prost, Mansell) who were so put off by him, that they left with the title in hand. Frank creates this negativity.

13. vince308

vince308 Formula 3

May 23, 2003
    belgium
    Full Name:
    vincent
    JPM : World Champion............HAAAAAAAhAAAAAAAAAAhAAAAAAAAAAAA

I pay you a bottle of Moet et Chandon, but it will not be this year.............

Some day, he will kill himself or an other driver in the first corner...............

HAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAhAAAAAAAAAAAAAA JPM world champion.......

14. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    In logic: when the postulate is not correct the following clause has no meaning.

I submit he will never be WC, and therfore, whether his class changes or not is irrelevent.

15. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I think it's easy to say Driver A or Driver B will never be World Champion, but think about this: Michael Schumacher is going to retire soon, remember? Now, looking down the list of remaining drivers, doesn't it begin to look a little wide open? I don't care WHO ends up at Ferrari. When Michael goes, so does the rest of the power trio (Todt, Brawn). Ferrari could maintain dominance just as easily as the wheels could come sailing off, and who amongst the remaining drivers, current and future, has the "Schumi-esque" qualities to harness a juggernaut like Ferrari (or any team for that matter) and steer them to a Championship? So once MS is out of racing, I think we'll see a grab for the spoils that runs much deeper and wider than it does today. Out of all the prospects, Montoya just might be the guy with the attitude it takes to succeed. Maybe not, but don't be too quick to write him off.

16. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    How many of you guys that don't like JPM have actually met him and spent some time talking to him?
    I did when he was in CART (at the Michigan race) Very nice guy and I had fun talking with him.
    You could tell he was real and said what he really thought. CART was fun because if you went on Thur-Fri you could talk to any of the drivers or owners

In F1, I don't understand why drivers that have millions in the bank,... still act like 14 year old
    boy scouts. The PR/PC stuff that they say is so dull and clean for the TV audiance. Not much fun :(

JPM just adds a bit of spice in this PC world.

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I fully agree with Gilles27. Let's be honest: Once MS is gone, who is left challenging for the WC? Kimi, Alonso and JPM. Actually right now, who realistically is the biggest threat to MS? JPM. The Mc Laren doesn't work and Alonso is still too young. Only JPM can stop MS from his 7th crown (although after qualifying in Sepang I think that is really no longer a concern unless MS hurts himself this season).

What speaks against JPM (aside from the fact, that he is not very consistent) is that he is not that young anymore. So in the long picture it is Kimi vs Alonso vs new drivers we don't even know about now.

Mark: I actually met JPM twice. Both times he was too 'busy' to talk to any fans. I still think he is a putz. He might have been a nice guy in the easier going environment of Champ cars, but since he joined the big club, his ego has outgrown his charm. But despite all that, I have to acknowledge he is damned fast and he speaks his mind, which I like a lot. On that part I totally agree with you.

18. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
  19. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    Is what he said untrue, or does it matter? I watched and he called it exactly as it was. Ain't that racin'? Imagine it the other way around...would you be blaming JPM for blocking Ruebens?

20. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Les,

The fact of the matter was JPM was running on fresh rubber at the time. Rubens tires were more than at the end of there life. The fact that JPM is accusing Ferrari of team tactics is pure and simple BS the FIA has outlawed team tactics. And because of that the FIA is monitoring communications from the pit to the cars and vice versa. there is no way that this could be team tactics. The only fact of the matter is that Rubens fought hard to keep JPM behind him the same thing JPM would have done.

Yet he feels as if every other driver out there does not do as he wished he whines and cries about. IMHO he is not worthy of a F1 Drive. If you recall the Budwieser comercial shown durring the Austrailan GP weekend and i have not seem it since, Shows JPM comming out of the car and making a whining statement.

Just the way i see it.

Rob

21. owsi

owsi Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I have to say that the article seems to be reading between the lines a bit. In JPM's quotes he doesn't say that it was team tactics, he just says that RB blocked him, and therefore he couldn't chase MS. Considering Ralf's engine failure, Williams might have been perfectly happy to have an excuse as to why they backed off.