Jr. Prom Car Help | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Jr. Prom Car Help

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by echferrari, Apr 9, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    you still asked?

:)

Guys, Eric, we're not picking on you specifically. You just have to understand how often we get asked. I get asked by friends, acquaintances, and friends of friends CONSTANTLY for cars to use for their weddings.
    If my friends ask, I appreciate it and want to help. Acquaintances, I'm polite, but the answer is no. Friends of friends, I consider it kind of rude, especially since I'm usually not even invited to the wedding.
    #1, as much as I would like to help my friends out, I don't usually have the time.
    #2, I can guarantee my insurance wouldn't cover it anyway if there was an incident

Here's my advice, and this has been said in different ways by others in this thread - DON'T mix your interest in cars with your interest in girls.

If you want a ride in a car, go to car shows, make friends with the owners, be polite, respectful, and knowledgeable, don't ever ask for a ride, and eventually one will be offered to you.

Enjoy your prom for what it is - because deep down we know that your desire to take a sweet car is only for others to see you and be impressed.....why do we know that? Because we've been in high school, and had the same wishes.
    SO! Get a group of friends together, split the cost, and rent a limo. You will have way more fun.

2. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    This has got to be the best advice I've ever seen on a forum.

3. humblerequest

humblerequest Rookie

Apr 25, 2012
    I sincerely apologize if I offended anyone by asking. It honestly was just a shot in the dark and I really didn't expect anything out of it. I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond and I will take all advice into account. And as far as why I want a nice car, it's not so much trying to show off, it's more of I think it would be fun for me and my date. I've always wanted to drive a nice car (not at excessive speeds or recklessly, especially not with someone else's car) and I know my girlfriend would enjoy the luxury as well. But really, thank you all for your time. I suppose I will be driving my Ford Fiesta to prom again!

4. Jeffg11

Jeffg11 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 31, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff Grabowski
    22 years ago another FChat member/owner and I rented a 1931 Rolls Royce Limo and took our dates to Prom. If you want the car bad enough and work hard for it the Ferrari will come down the road. It happened to me and I couldn't be happier.

5. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Whoa, I never got to a ride in someones Ferrari after my Vasectomy!

OK, but seriously, I agree with the others: Rent a limo with a group of friends. For my prom, several million years ago, it seems, I got together with another couple and we rented a white 1957 Rolls Royce. It was awesome. Cost us $500 each, which was a lot of money for me back then (heck, it still is). But it was fun. Unfortunately, my date turned out to be a beyotch...

6. Jodan108

Jodan108 Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2009
    Cleveland, OH
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Doug, your advice is spot on! This holds true. You'll meet some really amazing people and potentially make some new friends, like I have. Doesn't hurt to be knowledgeable either, and not just *acting* knowledgeable. Owners will take you FAR more seriously if you can have a legit conversation. Especially if you can enlighten them on stuff about their car that they didn't even know :)

7. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    You're a good sport, my friend. Kudos to you for not taking it personally and staying the bigger man. Don't be ashamed of the Fiesta, you have a car man! Hope you have a great time. ;)

Chris

8. Lotus241

Lotus241 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Ohio / China
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Here...sort of in your neighborhood of Ann Arbor. I used this a few years ago for my wedding ( wifes dress wouldnt fit in the Esprit )

http://www.greatlakesvintagelimo.com/rollsroyce.html

I cant remember the price but I am sure it was 500 and up. Surprisingly nice ride. Its as close as your gonna get most likely.

9. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    You're not offending us, we're just taking the opportunity away from our extremely busy/stressful work days to have some fun at your expense. Since you had the gumption to post it on a public forum. :)

10. SuperJ

SuperJ F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    ahhh hummm.... ::clearing throat::

Who says a teenage girl wouldn't be interested in being taken to the prom in an exotic or even be interested in cars? I certainly was! Of course, I went to my prom with my bf (at that time) in his vintage corvette. I appreciate these young men's efforts! Good for them for having the gumption to even ask. All that being said, and considering the subsequent responses (which are all valid), might I suggest you take a more creative approach. Ever consider arriving to prom in a horse drawn carriage? How about a rickshaw? Go for something unusual. You may need to drive to a location and then proceed to the prom in the "arranged transport" but you would certainly get points for making an entrance that would have everyone talking!

11. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    Jeeze....you guys are brutal.....weren't we all teenagers once ?......Eric, My sister lives near Bainbridge, I will drive up there some Sunday this summer and take you for a ride in any of my cars you want.... PM me