JU-52 Crash Kills 20 in Switzerland | FerrariChat

JU-52 Crash Kills 20 in Switzerland

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Jacob Potts, Aug 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  2. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
  3. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Horrible. It's still a dream for me to go for a flight in a JU52 though. Pretty reliable aircraft.

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
  5. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    99% of the journalists in this country are only journalists because they couldn't get work as dime store novelists.

6. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Sad to hear this. RIP all victims.
    This airplane looks similar to a Ford Trimotor.

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Dumbing down for the masses unfortunately. 99.9% of the people out there have no idea what this plane was.

8. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    While I agree that technical items do get dumbed down for the masses, the statement regarding CVR/FDR's provides some context into how the investigation will, or will not, solve the reason for the crash. Also, with respect to regulatory requirements the statement is correct that CVR/FDR's are not required equipment in older aircraft, based on FAR's and assuming that the EASA regs mirror the FAA's in this respect.

9. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Ford is a high wing, this is low wing, so only having 3 'old time propellers' the only common theme.

The famous Fokker tri-motor is the one that's similar... high wing.
    Killed Knute Rokne...

10. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    As my wife knows I'm desperate to learn to fly and like older aircraft she sent me the report in the Telegraph this morning. Even the Telegraph, one of the supposed high end papers, managed to spell Junkers as Junckers three times in the body of the text, although the photo captions were correct.

On a side note I looked at the Wiki and they don't list a fatal accident with a JU-52 since 1947, although I wouldn't bet my livelyhood on the accuracy of Wikipedia.

RIP to all involved and love to all family and friends.

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    As Taz would say, " Affirmative." I was commenting on the writer's skill...or the lack of it.

12. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    There were lots of fatal crashes involving this aircraft type during the ‘50s and ‘60s although these were CASA 352s and Amiot AAC.1s. The Spanish AF were still using them into the ‘70s. A sister aircraft to this one (HB-HOS) crashed in Germany in 1987 without loss of life.

13. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My first thought anytime seeing these (the JU-52) is one of my favorite (Eastwood) movies, 'Where Eagles Dare'.

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The Fokker tri-motor that you mentioned, unlike the Ford Tr-Motor, had a wooden wing that was highly favored by Anthony Fokker. The adhesive failed and the wing came apart. That ended the Fokker 's place in transport aviation and a few more spots. The only commonality between the Junkers 52 and the Ford Tr-Motor was that both were built of aluminum and skinned with corrugated aluminum panels. In 1969 I had the pleasure of some right seat time in Harrah's restored Ford 5 AT. The noise, vibration, and lackadaisical control response was a clear window through which one could see 1930 aviation. I was also able to get some right seat time in the Boeing 247, NC 13347, that is in the Museum Of Flight. Still a 1930's flying machine but a bit better than the Ford. Right seat time in a Salair DC-3 showed what a big jump in aerodynamics and performance it was vs. the Boeing 247. My favorite twin, however, will always be the Lockheed Model 12. Fun stuff on which to look back.

Jaguar36 and Etcetera like this.
  15. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

16. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thank you for that article. I should establish that I am not a high time ace pilot but more of a Gadfly flitting from one airplane to another and not becoming a rated pilot in them. I could have been in the Lockheed 12 but I lacked the time and money. I experienced flying several twins in my time and there was always a pre-emptive alert, " Now this airplane has a tendency..."This airplane will not do..." With this airplane you should put in a small dose of control when..." The Model 12 had none of these warnings. It was friendly and straight forward and I immediately felt at home in it and it did just what I wanted it to do with no quirks. The owner, Mike Strong, said simply , " Get in the left seat, you have to earn your keep." In spite of not having umpteen hundred hours and not much in a twin, that airplane was a piece of cake and incredibly nice to fly. Three hours, four good landings, and a thumbs -up from Mike made it a memorable experience. Some time later I sadly read that N1112 was totaled in Oshkosh after Mike had donated it to the EAA. I previously had flown a Cessna T-50, Beech 18, and the 247 but the Model 12 was the best.

17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The airplane that crashed in Switzerland this saturday, JU52/3m HB-HOT is actually the very same one you see almost on every scene in "Where Eagle dare". If you watch the close-up scenes with the JU52 in the movie carefully, and look under the horizontal tailplane, you will see its civilian registration, which is indeed HB-HOT.

Rgds

18. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Wow, thanks for that. Sad in all respects.