Juicing | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Juicing

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by GTHill, Aug 23, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    My damn juicer stopped working properly.

I haven't had good juice in over a week and can feel the difference.

2. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
  3. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Any advice to a juicing newbie? Just got my juicer today and I'm glad I finally pulled the trigger, I'm at my worst diet wise, can't remember the last time I had a decent serving of fruits or vegetables. I feel like a smoker in that I'm pretty much going to have to go cold turkey off of food, I'm basically addicted to carbs and I need to change my appetite so hopefully this will do that.

What are some good recipes to start with?

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    the jointhereboot.com ones are a great starting point. Try the mean green and go from there. I ended up dropping the ginger (don't like straight ginger) and adding lemon juice to my green one.

5. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks, that's a great site.

6. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    #156 WJHMH, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've been juicing for one week now as of today, After seeing Ryan's success I thought I'd get it a shot. So far I'm sleeping much better, feeling energised in the morning & my appetite is not out of control. My main reason is for weight loss & so far I've dropped maybe 8 lbs. It hasn't been easy but if you can get past the first three days it gets easier in the long run. Btw, has anyone made watermelon juice yet? It's awesome!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #157 Piper, Sep 29, 2012
    Kale, carrots, celery, little garlic. I need to try ginger. Sounds interesting. Ginger's something I know I should have in my diet but have a hard time figuring how to regularly.

One thing for anyone buying a new juicer, consider an extractor like the one pictured squeezes instead of high speed variety. Doesn't kill vitamins or enzymes.

8. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Bob...ginger with lemon is fret for sore throats, and or light flus and colds....it is very spicy with just lemon....just throw in an apple to take the bite out.

9. sct4a

sct4a F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2008
    I've been doing cold pressed ginger shots every day. 1 oz shot of ginger juice. First couple days it sucked a little but now I really crave it.

10. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    What's the difference between regular ginger root and Thai ginger? I didn't know and the Thai was four times as much. So like a typical American consumer, I assumed there must be a reason and bought it. We've been using it more and more, and today got an uncomfortably strong dose. I liked it, but needed to knock it back quickly and you're supposed to drink juice slowly. So I'm thinking your shots may make some sense. Going to suggest to the wife.

11. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Just finishing week four today, I only problem I've had is I've been sick with allergies or whatever has been going around for about a week but just know getting over it. That really screwed me on going to the gym & doing cardio but still trying to hold true to the diet. He have had some mixed nuts & egg whites also added to the diet, you gotta have some protein. Not sure where I'm at weight loss wise, I weighed in at 229 last Wednesday at the gym, my scale is DOA until I buy another or get the one I already sent back to the factory for warranty replacement.

12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    What did you start at? Congratulations on getting to one month.

13. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I just watched the movie "sick, fat & nearly dead" and I really liked it. I had not heard of it until reading this thread, so thanks guys for the info.

14. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I started at 255+. I'm down to 225 now but took a short break from juicing, this whole experience has given me a whole new perspective of all the crap I've been eating & the portion sizes. I'll get started again at the start of next week.

15. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I'm going out today to buy a juicer and on to join in on this thread. I'll probably call on one of you to be a
    mentor for me for tips and keeping me on the straight and narrow. One question:

If I get rid of all the crap in my diet, is there any problem in only one day a week, going off it as follows:

BREAKFAST: Cereal and toast

LUNCH: My favorite, a Tuna melt on french with Frito's, Chinese food, Togo's, etc.

DINNER: BBQ'd burger and fries.

For the above, I know it's bad, but my sanity is worth something (at least for now, that is my mindset). If
    I'm 'good' 90% of the time, will I still be 90% ahead of the game Vs being one Big Mac away from a heart attack?

16. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #166 Piper, Jan 13, 2013
    Peter, get one of these. Don't make a mistake hurrying. Get a juicer that doesn't kill the food you're preparing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

17. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    +1

Not only that, juice from a screw type just tastes better. I've had the Green Life and I currently have the Omega. The Omega is a bit cheaper, and might be a good choice to start out with.

18. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    I got an Omega for Christmas and have used just about everyday since. It is easy to use and clean.

I have only used it for green juices but my wife made some cashew milk, some almond milk and is soaking some Brazil nuts, so I am guessing they are next.

19. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I looked at a few at Kohls over the weekend (I live in a small town and the choices are not all that great). I
    was surprised of the size of these units. I'll be in the San Jose area next week where I'll have a chance to see
    a better variety and want to look at the line of Breville Juicers. Anybody have this brand?

20. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Breville's are a good quality but they (to my knowledge) are all centrifugal and that's not the best choice. But hey, if you start with it and you like it you can always upgrade later.

I think for the money the Omega in my original reply is a great way to go. Amazon could have it at your house tomorrow. :)

GT

21. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I looked at the Omega at Kohls. Quite large. Hell, I'm spitting our juice, not making bricks!

22. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    Bump.

Bought the Breville a few days ago. I really like it a lot. I've been making the Mean Green (slight variation of it) since I got it and have been enjoying it.

I know that its a Juicer, not a blender. The part that bothers me is how much waste there is in the receptacle from the skins and fibers from the fruits and veggies. I usually drink it for lunch, but not sure weather I should just eat the food instead.

I've been using half a cucumber, 2 celery stalks, an apple, half a lemon, and some carrots. This has yielded one tall glass a few times now. I enjoy the taste, but a little unsure if I'm cheating myself by not just eating the food. If I were just juicing it would be too hard to consume that many veggies. Since I'm not my question is.... Should I just eat the vegetables and not bother throwing them into the juicer?

23. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    It isn't that raw vegetables are bad of course but you just don't need that much fiber. You are getting the nutrients without having to stuff yourself.

You are on the right track... keep it up!

GT

24. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    I actually ate the skins and fibrous parts out of the receptacle today. They were awesome! I read up a little and some people make cracker toppings with it. It was surprisingly enjoyable.

The Breville is a great machine.

25. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I just got a Norwalk Juicer yesterday. I haven't had a chance to do a lot with it yet but I did do an apple. After juicing the apple the only leftovers were less than the size of a golf ball. And, it was oddly dry.

It's intimidating to see how it works in the videos with the bags and all but it's really straightforward.

We started juicing at the time of the start of this thread and we still do it. Of course I still eat other foods but juicing has become a part of our normal lives so spending $2600 on a juicer is worth it.

GT