Jumping back in....and looking around | FerrariChat

Jumping back in....and looking around

Discussion in '348/355' started by 308tr6, Dec 11, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    I haven't been on FChat for a long time, and just started lurking around again, sort of surprised I could still log in. I see my 308 rebuild thread made sticky status - yikes! So that was kind of cool.

Anyway, went from 308 to Lotus Exige, and now I just can't get that sound of a 355 out of my head. Besides that if it were the last day on earth and there was a 355, a 360 and a 430, I would drive the 355 - something real about this car.

Plus I like to work on stuff - like seriously work on stuff....get in a little trouble and find a way out, get the "maybe you should consult a real Ferrari mechanic .....sort of responses", that sort of thing. So I think God made 355s for people like me. Plus I think the whole thing about 355 issues is a bit over stated (I will probably regret saying that....but WTF)

Just thinking, who the hell cares about any of this....but I don't facebook or anything so this is my attempt at social media.

So here is my plug - looking for a F355, Berlinetta or GTS, manual, $50k or less. Some issues OK, lots of issues still OK if you are realistic about what you are selling - been down the restoration of Ferrari path before. At some point I may ask YOU for cash plus your beaten F355.
    Cheers, and happy holidays.

2. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Your quote above is awesome...and is exactly how I feel about this car. Heck, a 355 aint for pansies ;)

I hope you find one. You would fit right in with many of us here :)

3. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    +1. Good luck, I'd suggest a '95 as they're a little more conducive to tinkering among other things.

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Or you could get a revolutionary car......355 F1

5. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I think the f1 is more fun to fix because it has cooler technology but I'm bias.

6. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Cool beans, toss that ham in the frying pan.

Save a a needy car from the depths of evil home mechanics she will love you long time

:)

7. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    I hope you do find one with a few "issues" because then we will be treated to some good posts of how you resolve them. Welcome back.

PS I'm with you on the social media, this sure beats Face Book any time IMO.

8. TomPDX

TomPDX Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If you want one for under $50k, I'd search eBay. Here the 355s are mostly sorted cars a little north or south of $60k. Welcome back, and good luck!

9. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    Thanks for the comments (and some PMs). The hunt is a lot of fun, interesting to see what is prancing around out there. Jeez I just realized I joined this site a decade ago....

10. ff355b

ff355b Karting

Feb 26, 2010
    Based on what I've seen and learned so far.... there won't be F355 GTS less than $50k. It's just because GTS factor, you know what I mean...

11. 355redcar

355redcar Karting
    BANNED

Feb 21, 2013
    I have a 1995 FERRARI 355 BERLINETTA with 35k miles asking $65,000 o.b.o.listed on here

12. YVR_Schumi

YVR_Schumi Karting

May 20, 2012
    British Columbia
    Best of luck! I have nothing to add that's of any value... but I love your spirit and wish you all the best. And I, too, can't wait for your super-informative how-to threads once you get into fixing it up :)

13. Markphd

Markphd Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Yep, the hardtops seem to be a bit more valued. Don't know if I would pay for the hard top if I wanted to tinker... the soft top offers so many opportunities to work on your car!

I am like you and I did the ebay thing, ended up with a car that needs some work, some of which is going to cost me a pretty penny. Once piece of advice, I would find a car that already has new headers, you'll be likely to replace them otherwise. Research the car carefully, some cars, like mine even, might have modifications that you don't want. I designed and replaced the entire exhaust (save the headers which I purchased from Fabspeed). My Ferrari is just that, mine, and I am not particularly worried about selling it because I am keeping it for a long long time. I ended up with a 6 speed spider. I would really recommend the 6 speed over the F1 for a number of reasons.

The 97's are easy enough to tinker with, OBD-II is not a major challenge with these cars.

Good Luck,

Mark

14. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Welcome back, I have been on here for a while too :)

15. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Just buy headers from the source in Taiwan problem solved.