June 6th | FerrariChat

June 6th

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Bob Parks, Jun 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Today is the 74th anniversary of D-Day. I didn't hear a verbal comment from anybody. There wasn't one comment about it on the visual media but there was one news item about the Vietnam War. In the past I have commented off handedly that it was December 7th with no response from the younger set. Today I mentioned June 6th a few times and got blank stares. Amazing.

Protouring442 likes this.
  2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I wouldn't be able to comment on the knowledge of the youngsters here, Bob, it must probably be the same, although all TV Channels do their best to Schedule movies or documentaries about D-Day every June 6th.
    The commemorations are still important, and some veterans were still attending this year.
    You'll find an example of the program in the first link (there is an English traduction) and some pics and videos in the second and third.

http://www.ot-baieducotentin.fr/en/d-day-1944/74eme-anniversaire-debarquement-programme-juin-2018/

https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/culture-loisirs/en-images-le-74e-anniversaire-du-debarquement-en-normandie-1528277368

https://www.ouest-france.fr/d-day/74e-d-day-direct-suivez-les-commemorations-du-6-juin-1944-5806799

Rgds

3. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    I do the best I can to educate. Below is the post I made on Facebook yesterday.

"Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force!

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to Victory!

I have full confidence in your courage and devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory!

Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

-Dwight D. Eisenhower"

With these words, General Eisenhower launched the greatest amphibious invasion ever attempted. We know it as The Normandy Invasion, the logical and necessary next step in the Allies confrontation with the Nazi's. But the invasion of "Fortress Europe" was no forgone conclusion. In fact, General Eisenhower had even prepared a note announcing the failure of the invasion, should such a contingency come to pass.

"Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based upon the best information available. The troops, the air and the navy did all that bravery and devotion to duly could do. If any blame or fault is attached to the attempt it is mine alone."

But the landings did not fail. Owing to the deception tactics carried out in the year prior to the D-day landings, the arrogant delusions of Adolf Hitler and his sycophants, where the boats hit the beaches, and the courage and devotion of the Allied soldiers, the Allies did establish their beachheads. The walls of Fortress Europe were breached. There was still another year of hard fighting and hard dying to go, but on 7 May, 1945 Reichspräsident Karl Dönitz, Adolf Hitler's successor, signed the unconditional surrender of Germany in Reims, France.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Lost an uncle on D-Day. Us old farts remember.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks, Terry. I lost a couple of high school buddies with whom I played on the football team. Went to school at Duke with an infantryman ( BAR man) who survived it and walked all the way into the Hurtgen Forest where he was severely wounded. Always makes me feel a bit guilty at my good fortune.

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'm still amazed at the absence of the Luftwaffe at the invasion. One quick strafing pass by two Focke-Wulfs (one flown by well-known ace "Pips" Priller), and that was it! The troops were very lucky at the Luftwaffe's incompetence.

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    From what I have read, the Luftwaffe had been effectively stifled from heavy raids and fighter sweeps by the allied air forces. Also the fake army Division set up to the north of of the invasion site. For once, the Germans were fooled.

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    On June 6th, the Luftwaffe had 200 airplanes on the western front, 140 of which were operational. There were some on the eastern front but it was obvious that the Luftwaffe was on its last legs. Still dangerous, though, even after losing a lot of its experienced pilots.