Just another opinion poll before I buy one!!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Just another opinion poll before I buy one!!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by keberhardt, Apr 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I disagree. You can get a very nice original 330GT for that kind of money. The nicest original 330GT on the planet sold for 130 last year. As for not fast and unattractive, thats a funny comment about Ferrari's. That comment only holds water when comaparing a Ferrari to other more expensive Ferrari's. Maybe you need to consider a car that is nicely worn in rather than pristine restored. I'm pretty sure you would find my 250gt that is in original condition, runs like a top, and loaded with history as ratty too. But it suits me just fine. As for investment, only time will tell. I do know that I have spent a total of 35k for my 250GT in 10 years and that includes the purchase price.

2. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #27 saw1998, Apr 11, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
    Although there is no way you can purchase a true investment-type (i.e., one that will be worth substantially more in the future) Ferrari for $80,000 - I would personally try to find the best example of a 1976 fiberglass/dry sump 308 GTB possible. That's really the only Ferrari in that price range that, IMHO, will have any real investment potential. With respect to the F355, go for a Fiorano (yes, I know they are a spider), but there were only 104 built. Possibly also consider a 348SS. I'm no expert, but these are the only Ferraris in that price range that have investment potential that I can think of off-hand. Most of the modern Ferraris have just been made in too many numbers. The days of coach-built cars are long over. Leave the Ferrari investing/collecting to those individuals with megabucks - buy to drive.

BTW, If you can manage it - go for a 512 BB/BBi or a Dino 246 with flairs and chairs (as suggested by others, previously). But you're looking at double your $80,000, minimum, for really good cars (even in this economy).

3. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    What a question! A 550 maranello is the only answer.

:)

12 cyinders or walk

4. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Doc.... Most modern Ferrari's are reliable. I have had a bunch, and they have all been bullet proof. But you want a car that has been cared for. Forget the bottom feeder cars, as they will soak up more money than you can imagine.

Judging by market prices, neither are very desirable, so buy the car that makes YOUR heart skip.

Collectable..... neither. They have made far too many. These cars were meant to drive and enjoy.

Cars can't be figured as a wise investment. They are a purchase of passion, but if you need to sell the wife on the investment potential... :)

5. MJT328GTS

MJT328GTS Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    MJT
    Want a Ferrari as a Museum Car and an investment for your son, go to Barrett Jackson and pay those ridiculous premiums. F-cars are meant to be enjoyed today and driven....PERIOD.

Want an investment 40 years from now, buy bonds.

6. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    Yes, you do.

7. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    Please collect corvettes from now on.

8. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay

308 polyester body.

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Doc- Sounds like you did not make a whole lot of new friends in this thread. Investment potential and late model Ferraris with investment potential, and potential only, sound like they do not match up with your budget. 550 Barchetta, 360 CS, 575M HGTC or Superamerica, Scuderia, 16M. Those are the low production cars. Take your pick or match your budget, but expect to lose money in the short and mid-term.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

10. charliebronson

charliebronson Formula 3

Dec 5, 2004
    Full Name:
    Charliebronson
    I don't know if your post is meant to be facetious but I wouldn't rule it out as an unlikely scenario.

In regards to o.p and the ferrari for posterity, I'd venture a guess and say your kid won't care for it. Your kid will want to drive whats hot in 2049, (I.e a green fluxcapacitor driven aeroautomobil). Take the money and buy a boatload of undervalued stock and let him decide what he wants to drive after cashing out. The Dow will be in the 40K by then.

If you however still need to go ahead with this unwise investment, I,d say go for the 355. It's a beautiful car in every aspect as long as the headlights stay down. It's definitely one of the more beautful modern ferraris and will get looks all day over the 550. If you plan on garage queening it, I don't think maintenance will be too much of an issue.

GL

-Peter Oh

11. keberhardt

keberhardt Rookie

Feb 16, 2009
    marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    kenny eberhardt
    Some of you got mad 'cause you think I'm buying an F-car to mothball it and try to make money--so I'll ELABORATE!
    I've got 10 cars and only have time to put about 500 miles on each one per year. I'm not putting a Ferrari "in a museum"---the only place I'll be driving it is AT THE TRACK for Ferrari Club driving events. This will not be a commuter car, it will be my track-day car several times a year, so I'm not putting many miles on it----but they will be track miles! The two F-cars that I love are the 355 GTS and the 550M, and I only have $70-80K to spend, so I can't splurge and get a Dino for $130K! So, between these two F-cars, AND NOTHING ELSE, which is more reliable/has fewer weak spots, which is gonna cost less to fix when I bend a valve at the track, and which do you think will likely be worth more than $70K in 30 or 40 years? I'm just curious---taking an opinion poll!!

12. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Save yourself the storage space...there are better investments than a Ferrari and your son does not want an old car...he will want cash!

Beev

13. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Pics please.

14. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    #39 MBFerrari, Apr 17, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
    Pics please aye!!!
    IF you forced me to ONLY pick between those two I would take the 550.
    IF you want a better choice for "investment"; 308 Glass car
    IF you want to invest, don't do it with a car.
    IF you want your son to be happy, buy a solid example of a car that you will enjoy driving. He will like it because it was yours.

Lastly, I like these questions too, because they bring out opinions and everyone has one...
    MB

15. Simon Tibbett

Simon Tibbett Karting

Nov 7, 2007
    GA
    Buy a Ferrari and beat the crap out of it, THAT is what they are built for. No better way to enjoy a car.

16. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    #41 furmano, Apr 17, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
    You should realize your desire to: 1) have the car appreciate, 2) use it as a track car, and 3) only spend $80,000, are all running into each other, resulting in a conflict of desires.

You may have confused the fact that because Ferrari is so involved in racing, their street cars are race cars for the road. This really isn't the case. Sure you can take a street Ferrari to the race track. But after a several laps (5-10?) of spirited track driving the strain of the track environment will start to wear on the car unlike just about any kind of street driving. You will have to budget for replacement of wear items like brake pads, tires, the clutch, not to mention more regular flushes of the engine and transmission oil and the brake fluid.

For whatever reason, street Ferraris that have been tracked seem to have a lower value than their non-tracked counterparts. Maybe it's because the owners didn't feel like paying for all that extra service and it showed in the condition of the car.

The purchase price of a Ferrari is just the cost of admission to the club. This is even more the case with a track car. $80,000 won't cut it.

With all that, my answers to your questions are, between the 550 and the 355, with regard to reliability they should be basically the same, added up they probably have around the same number of weak spots. Generally, the 550 will cost more to service because there are four more cylinders with all the related hardware.

With regard to value, the mid-engine V8 models have done well so I would guess the 355. But really Kevin, this is nothing more than a throw of a dart against the wall. There is no telling which of the two will keep more of its value in thirty years. FCHat member Napolis once quoted someone about collecting, it went something like this: Collect what you like because you may be stuck with it for a long time.

-F

17. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    No one knows which will be worth more in 40 years. That's like trying to predict what fashion will look like. My opinion is no better than yours or anyone else's. If you want a track Ferrari, buy a 355 challenge car. Of course, you'll need a trailer but, who knows, they might be wildly popular down the road.

Dave

18. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    VERY few cars, even Ferraris, have shown returns that exceed a wise stock or bond purchase in the long run.

+1000 to all the guys on here who have said that Ferraris are meant to be driven, not as investments. If you REALLY want a Ferrari, buy what you like. If you REALLY want an investment, invest in the financial market. (And yes, I have also noticed that the market's pretty cr@ppy right now. But you're looking at 40 years. Unless you bought a 250 GTO brand new and kept it pristine, the stock market's far outperformed the monetary appreciation of high-end cars.)

19. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    I find it somewhat hard to believe that people with perceived financial success would consider INVESTING in a car, especially with such a long-term projection.
    Sure enough there are examples of cars that have outperformed most other investments over the last 40 years, but most certainly have not. 40 years is a very long time, and with the speed at which things are changing, what will be left of the car-hobby in 40 years is anyone's guess.

A Ferrari of a certain type may or may not fare better than other cars, but the idea is bad, unless you really enjoy the posession/use of the car (which deters from the investment objective) and can get in at the very high ends of the market.

If you have 80K lying around doing nothing and consider spending it on a car, buy something that you will go look at in the garage before you go to bed, just because you love it, and anticipate you're going to drive the cr*p out of the next glorious morning.

If the latter, at this point in time I'd go with those that recommended finding a good vetroresina 308.

20. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    If you are not going to drive it, why buy it? Buy a 1/18th model instead and let an auto enthusiast buy the real car to drive.