Just back from a great drive 430 and CGT-photos | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Just back from a great drive 430 and CGT-photos

Discussion in '360/430' started by Jack(LA), Aug 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F114B

F114B Karting

May 25, 2005
    West Coast
    600+miles/1000km = factory recommendation.

2. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Great pics, enjoy your cars!!

3. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I agree totally!

4. judoug88

judoug88 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    Marin, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    There are a lot of people who say that the 430 is ugly but looking at that Argento coupe...mmm...beautiful. I love the sharp angles on it, makes it very aggresive. Personally I don't really like the silverstone color, I liked the 360 titanium color better, though it might just be the picture and could look different in person. All three are beautiful cars though!

5. deanger

deanger Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    is very hit and miss. The truth is, the same is true in person. Depending on the light it can look drop-dead gorgeous (my favorite f color ever) or quite dull. Personally, I think in the spider with the beige it is a great combination, especially when the top is down. And I like the fact that I never know what it is going to look like. My last car was titanium, and I love that color, but for the 430 spider, I think Silverstone will prove a good long term choice.

Jack's 430 coupe is, personally, the first f-car I've LOVED in silver -- not including the Enzo. Silver on the coupe is a smash.

6. amirgt2

amirgt2 Karting

Dec 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Amir
    #31 amirgt2, Aug 17, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    I recognize that this is F-Chat, and so the board is possesed of an inherent bias, which is as it should be, but come on! Have you had any seat time in a CGT? Ever taken it through a tunnel at 5k revs? I'm on my second CGT (no, I didn't crash the first one) and have owned several 360's, both spiders and coupes, F1 and 6 speeds, and still own my 550, and await my 430, as well as several other modern and vintage porsches. There are two cars I will NEVER sell: my 550 and the CGT. By the way, there is NO SUCH THING as a '93 911tt.

8. lawandorder360

lawandorder360 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NE Ohio
    Wow amir, beautiful color combo!! Silver interior stitching, I presume?

9. amirgt2

amirgt2 Karting

Dec 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Amir
    #34 amirgt2, Aug 17, 2005
  10. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    Wow Amir, that is a beautiful combination you have there. Congratulations.

With a car like the C-GT, it doesn't have to appeal to everyone- just the lucky few. I happen to think its styling is very nice, but everyone has their opinion.

Best regards,
    Jerry

11. thusly

thusly Karting

#36 thusly, Aug 17, 2005
  12. amirgt2

amirgt2 Karting

Dec 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Amir
    Us too! :)

Amir & Jack

13. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Amir's silverstone F430 is drop dead gorgeous!

Helped him pick the car up -- boy was it heavy (sorry, I couldn't resist being silly :)).

Drive it in the best of health, my good friend. See you soon.

14. donrecto

donrecto Karting

Sep 17, 2004
    correction '993 911 twin turbo' hence the TT,glad you can express your opinion in an civilized way,eveyone here seems to successfully do that,this is a vey nice site:)

15. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    couldn't agree more with your view on the 993tt, or for that matter, the 993 in general. Nevertheless, still find your comments on the CGT a little harsh, particularly when formed without direct information or seat time. Still, to each his own. I find each of the cars we're talking about to be different/unique in their own right, and not in need of denigrating any other car to make them look good or to be desirable. Enjoy whatever you're driving. Some more info in your profile would be nice though.

16. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    It is my understanding that you may be the only person who has flipped a CGT and made money. You apparently ordered another one which you had to wait 18 months for. During that time the value of the CGT has dropped dramatically. Did you pay MSRP for your second one?

BTW, I agree there is nothing like the sound of the CGT under full acceleration. However, in normal driving you barely hear it. Driving under 20mph, it sounds like the all the nuts and bolts underneath are falling off the car. That said, it is beast which very few if any stock production cars can keep up with.:)

17. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Nick - what's the low end on C-GT's these days?

--Dan

18. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I know of three new CGT sold in SD for around $415,000. I also have seen one advertised at $399,000. In Autoweek there is a used one with 6500 for $365,000. I also read there are over 30 in Autotrader listed for sale. That would represent almost 10% of all the CGT sold in the US. MSRP on the car is around $449,000 without any options.

It really is a shame. It is a terrific car but sadly it is saddled with the Porsche corporate greed which has a negative impact on its value.:(

19. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    If these things ever hit 300, I'm game. What a killer deal for that price.

--Dan

20. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Nick,

Actually, I think it was dealer greed or so I've been told by reliable sources. Porsche AG thru PCNA asked their dealers to secure nonrefundable deposits from real buyers and tell them how many cars they could "really" (there's that bad word again) sell. Instead, many dealers created bogus buyers creating the impression that demand was quite high for their Enzo equivalent. Porsche AG always planned on making fewer cars than the anticipated demand.

The CGT is an amazing car (it doesn't quite meet my rolling stock portfolio requirements), and it's a relative bargain when you consider all the amazing technology and materials it possesses. Just my measly 2 cents.

21. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    I don't understand how "Porsche corporate greed" hurts the trading prices- I mean, don't companies exist to turn a profit, and isn't it possible for one person to look at how much profit and decide it is reasonable, while another who is reasonable looks at the same numbers and decides it is greed? Just wondering what Porsche has done/ doing/ to bring the prices down.

Best Regards,
    Jerry

22. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Give it a year and you will probable get a good used one for that price. Unfortunately the maintenance warranty will be much shorter and this car like other super cars is very expensive to maintain.

For an example, it requires a valve adjustment at around 20,000 miles ( I do not believe this is covered under warranty). The engine and transmission must be remove to perform the service correctly. Also according to a Porsche mechanic who is trained to work on the CGT, the area during the removal must be spotless and remain that way until the job is completely. In other words, while performing the service, everything need to be exact and that takes a lot of time.

Here is what he wrote regarding an oil change;

"To change the oil,you must remove the carbon underpanels to access the drain plug. There are probably about 150 fasteners that hold the underpanels on and they all must be marked for re-installation due to being diferent lengths. If you put a long bolt where a short bolt goes,you will protrude into the carbon structure and damage it. This can be a VERY expensive mistake. Putting each fastener where it belongs cannot be stressed enough. On top of that,each fastener must be torqued to spec so you dont rip out the threaded insert and damage the carbon..."

Like I said, it ain't cheap to own one of these babies.:)

23. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles
    #48 Jack(LA), Aug 20, 2005
  24. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Porsche initially indicated they would sell 750 CGT's at a price point of around $350,000 but that was not firm. They solicited buyers with a nonrefundable $50,000 deposit. Subsequently, they announced they were going to raise production figures to 1500 with a price increase to $448,000 per car.

Now as Jack points out it may be dealers inflated the number of buyers but Porsche took no action to determine whether the buyers existed. A limited production super sport requires close monitoring not only to protect the interest of the manufacturer but the customer base. What Porsche did was over produce the car and set an unrealistic price on it. Greed had kicked in.:(

Now owners are taking a huge financial hit.

I agree with Jack it is a marvelous car. I have spent considerable time in it, driving and as a passenger. For whatever reason the car never did resonant with me. I thought the body was very basic with a gapping hole in front and behind the front wheels Essentially what one was buying is wonderful engine and some of latest race Porsche engineering. The cabin is very small so much so that a woman complained she could not sit in it and hold her little dog.

Jack back to the subject. I love the raised deck on the 430 and it certainly distinguishes from the 360. The other day I was in Ferrari service and a car had a cover over it but I knew immediately it was a 430 by the lines of the rear deck.:)

25. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Jack - the cars look good together. I have to admit, I'm a sucker for silverstone. If only Lee had the sense to order a 575SA in Silverstone/Crema + black carpets, I could steal his.

--Dan