Just bought a 1986 328 GTS | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Just bought a 1986 328 GTS

Discussion in '308/328' started by Gary Sandberg, May 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

And, to all the Netherlanders on the site, sorry for spelling Kinderdijk wrong initially. Didn't do a proper spelling search.

:D Proof that I am Canadian!!

2. Amalfitano

Amalfitano Rookie

May 4, 2020
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fausto Tersigni
    I just got my first Ferrari a 1986 328 GTS Eurospec car with 11,500 miles on it. Red/Tan and black carpets. The only thing i really had to get done that was major from the PPI was the Recall on the 1986 Suspension Forks, with the previous 3 owners must not have known about. Other than that the car is spectacular. I like the European specs a bit more (mirrors and bumpers). i also notice on startshines car there is no rear spoiler, which until recently i learned you could only bypass that form a european spec car, they were standard on all US models. My father was from LIege, great city and great food.

Gary Sandberg likes this.
  3. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Congrats. So now we waiting for the pictures ...

4. Gary Sandberg

Would very much like to see pics of your car. As you can see from my original posts, my car is also Eurospec and does not have the rear spoiler. In fact the only two options that show up for the car are the Grigio metallic paint and air-conditioning. I do believe that for some other years (after 1986) that the rear spoiler was standard - even on Eurospec cars. Would be interesting to have someone confirm.

Enjoy the car and please post pictures!!!

5. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    • Gary, the rear aerofoil was an option in France ( also in other european country ) for every years and there are many 328 in France who were ordered without, as my GTB #62285. Just depending taste of the first owner

6. Amalfitano

Amalfitano Rookie

May 4, 2020
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fausto Tersigni

7. Amalfitano

Amalfitano Rookie

May 4, 2020
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fausto Tersigni
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Amalfitano

Amalfitano Rookie

May 4, 2020
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fausto Tersigni
    Hi Gary, From what i understand here in USA the rear spoiler was always standard. Also, our cars have the Cavallino on the side mirrors and that was not implemented in USA until 1988 cars (the side mirrors for USA cars are big and square, not as nice). I had a PPI done at Ferrari and they convinced me to buy the car (only thing not OEM is the Tubi Exhaust) and the Tubi from what i understand was actually an available option at Ferrari dealers in France in 1986. The previous owner of my car was an Oil Company CEO who kept all his Ferrari's (5 of them) in an Air Conditioned Humidty Controlled garage so being in South Florida i actually converted my garage to have the car in the same environment as it's had the last several years. The interior feels like new and the car drives unbelievably.

9. Gary Sandberg

Hi Fausto:

Stunning car, enjoy in good health. Thank you also for the comment about the Cavallino on the side mirrors, I was curious about that.

Regarding the rear spoiler, I do enjoy the cleaner lines without it. The question is, is it actually functional or just cosmetic?

10. Amalfitano

Amalfitano Rookie

May 4, 2020
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fausto Tersigni
    I think if you're running at 100mph it has some function, otherwise just cosmetic. However, i prefer the look without it since it's much more rare to not have that spoiler. Also, if you didn't know , the 1986 GTS had a suspension recall which is free (even now) to fix at your local Ferrari dealer and would also include an alignment. I only know because the local Ferrari Dealer did the PPI and had it on the report. I was looking at the 430 initially but i'm old school and just love love the feel and sound of the gated shifter and the fact that our cars have zero computers, just you and the car. That is why I chose this car and the fact that it only has 11,000 miles sealed the deal for me.

11. Gary Sandberg

I hear you on the spoiler. I have two 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTAs. The cars have a ground effects package and a "whale tail" spoiler, licensed from Porsche.
    At above 90 mph, the downforce generated noticeably pulls the cars down.

Thanks also on the recall information. Given that my suspension was overhauled, I think I am okay, but thanks. Porsche and Ferrari dealerships share some commonality here in Vancouver, so I have been well looked after in that respect. But thanks again.

In miles terms, I am at about 13,500 (21,600 km). I have a friend with a 430 Scuderia. Awesome machine, but like you I also am old school and prefer the clutch vs the paddles.

So, my plan is that for long higher speed road trips, the Testarossa. Closer in, the 328.

Others may disagree wrt to reliability, but I've put over 2500 km on the TR since I bought it and 12 cylinders on an open road - clouds part, sun shines and angels sing.:D

I'll have to put more miles on the 328, but already I appreciate how light and nimble it is. The fit is great, very comfortable.

I love both cars. Brunettes vs blondes vs red-heads. White vs red. Choices, choices, choices......:D

12. Amalfitano

Amalfitano Rookie

May 4, 2020
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fausto Tersigni
    Those are some nice choices :) I had a few 993 Porsche years ago, great cars. but, I felt it was time to get a piece of my heritage. I love the TR , you rarely see one on the road anymore. I'm sure you have some beautiful roads up there. Down here we don't have any hills or many winding roads, but the 328 is still great fun to drive.

13. 430tdf

430tdf Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Congrats on the beautiful car Gary, great colour combination, you will luv driving on those great BC roads! And it doesn't take long before you get used to the odd angle of the steering wheel!
    Living in Edmonton, I bought my 86 from the only western Canadian dealer at the time, Carter Motors in Vancouver and drove it back and forth through through the mountains to get it serviced, warranty, holidays, etc.

These days I tend to use my 430 for travel, but I still plan at making at least 1 more trip out to Vancouver in my 328 just for fun.

14. Gary Sandberg

Hi 430tdf:

Thanks for the compliments on the car. Pictures don't do it justice. For example, the seats are perfect - no cracks!! I put 100 km on it today and enjoyed every moment.

I remember Carter Motors well as they also had the Lamborghini franchise in the mid-70's.

Next time you come to the coast, definitely let me know. I'm only about 10 min. off the TransCanada. Would be fun to compare the cars (Euro and NA specs).

430tdf likes this.
  15. Amalfitano

Amalfitano Rookie

May 4, 2020
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fausto Tersigni
    I think the Red Seats are fantastic. I hope you have some Red Puma shoes to go with them. :)

16. Gary Sandberg

Thanks for the suggestion. I have yellow polo shirts to go with the TR (wonder why:rolleyes:). On the other hand, for the car shows, I also have a white linen suit, pastel T-shirt, white loafers.........

For the 328, I have a number of Hawaiian shirts. So maybe need a Detriot Tigers ball cap, and a paste on moustache.

But for cruising, I agree, red Pumas, a red polo shirt and I am golden?:confused::D

17. Gary Sandberg

To continue a little bit on my TR vs 328 comparison, I did a drive to Hope, BC (yeah the province joke is that if live in Spence's Bridge, you're beyond Hope - check the map LOL). So, approx. 110 km round trip. The 328 was very nimble - what's the cliche? Like a go-kart. Very responsive and light steering. The key with the 328 I found is to give it some gas and the steering lightens. A little more challenging with the TR due to the substantial increase in torque.

Now in all fairness, the suspension bushings had been done all round on the 328 and are due for the TR (this fall's project).

Comfort level? The 328 is definitely a little more compact. So, my left leg was bent a little more than desired when my left foot was off the clutch. So, the TR does have a little more leg room. But, my round trip drive took approx. 1.5 hours and after the drive I still felt great!! So good in fact that I had a second drive in the afternoon for some more fun (also needed to replenish the "shop fuel" supply for the evening).

Both cars are very comfortable, although there is more ability to stretch out and adjust the steering rake in the TR. I said earlier that the TR was my choice for the longer trips and that is primarily because of the much greater fuel capacity as well as better cabin room. I was surprised at how quickly the 328 went through fuel - and of course it had nothing to do with the driver :D. In all seriousness, behind the wheel of a Ferrari, I am extremely cognisant of my surroundings.