Just bought a 4-post lift | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Just bought a 4-post lift

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Bob308GTS, Nov 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Karl

Karl Rookie

Nov 2, 2004
    Naperville, IL. USA
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Where and how much is the house?????

2. Michael RPM

Michael RPM Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2002
    Oak Brook, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael Wogronic
    Karl, I sent you an e-mail. Let me know if you need any more info!

3. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I'm building a new garage in the spring (my freakin' village dragged their feet approving it this fall, just got the permits), and have talked to several of the lift companies. Basically, you need a 5 inch slab for your standard 4 post lift. 4 inches is fine, but, it you are pouring it, might as well give yourself some wiggle room. Besides, most of the 4-posters are rated for up to 7000 pounds, most of the exotics / semi-exotics are well under 4000 lbs, so you would be well under the limits.

BTW - sears is having a decent sale on the Craftsman cabinets.... just dropped a decent chunk of change for the cabinets for my unbuilt garage. I consider myself pessimistically optimistic about the project!

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    With all these great garage projects coming up, maybe we should have a bit of a competition next summer. I'm sure FOC could come up with a nice trophy for the coolest Garage Mahal.

5. jimmyr

jimmyr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jim
    In my opinion the 4 post lift is much more convienent than the 2 post for everyday use, easy drive on and off. As mentioned be sure if you are thinking about a 2 post that it will be able to get it under a low car. The 2 post will have twice the floor load of a 4 post, so be sure there is enough rebar in the cement to hold it. For simple wheel service I raise the 4 post lift to about 18 inches, slip jack stands under the frame points and lower the lift leaving the car supported by the jack stands - this is an easy no jacking method use of a lift!

6. lateapexit

lateapexit Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Cleveland Ohio
    Full Name:
    Big B
    I have always wondered how someone would use a 4 post for anything other than storage but I like your idea. Do they sell jack stand support sections or anything to raise the car on the 4 post with a wheel off?

Thinking about it next year.

Brian