Just bought a shamal | FerrariChat

Just bought a shamal

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by philt68, Jan 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    I know I know everyone says I’m crazy but I think it’s such a great design -does anyone have a mechanic they can recommend in the nyc area who might be vaguely familiar with those cars? I’m also looking for a source for spare parts! Any help would be fantastic!
    Thanks so much

phil

Shamrock, nick11 and Nembo1777 like this.
  2. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Hey Phil. I like those a lot. Didn't know you could get them in the USA.
    Post a few photos and tell the story of how you came to acquire it.

PS: Now Bob @staatsof will have somebody to talk to around here.

3. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    They’re 25 years old so you can bring them in

I’ve been poking around for a while -they tick a lot of boxes for me -gandini design, lots of fun to drive, very rare -369 made- I sort of feel like they were overshadowed by the apocalyptic reputation of Maserati in the late 80’s...this one I got at auction in Japan -dont have it yet, will take a few months -but here’s a pic of it on the lot in Tokyo

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Shamrock, 3500 GT, MrMark and 2 others like this.
  4. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I always really liked the design! One or two have popped up on BAT too. Enjoy!!

greg328 likes this.
  5. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Congratulations. Fun fact on the Shamal is the flat plane crankshaft V8. This engine was the forerunner for the one used in Quattroporte 3.2 and 3200GT. The Shamal was the only one of these models that got the flat plane crankshaft. Hence the different exhaust sound compared to the two others.

Merak1974, MK1044 and Nembo1777 like this.
  6. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Phil and I have already met several times at cars & coffee events in the Morristown area though not for several years.

7. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #7 staatsof, Feb 2, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2021

Phil I run the Biturbozentrum forum on groups.io you should join. https://groups.io/g/Biturbozentrum/messages International help on there including a few Shamal owners.
    There have been a handful of other Shamals in the USA and at least one I know of in Canada. That owner and I are very familiar with each other but I think he's sold his now. Like you he goes through a lot of cars though not nearly as exotic as the ones you dabble with. He brought his Ghibli Cup to the Le Belle Macchine d'Italia event that used to be held in the Poconos one year. That's how we met. His car broke down at the track event and he had 4 adults he needed to get back to the Toronto area. That didn't happen ... But he had it repaired at a shop in the Poconos not much over the NJ-PA border by a shop that many on this forum like a lot. https://www.poconosportscar.com/

He fixed my friends fuel pump issue and got his car back. I don't know that he really "knows" these biturbos as they never really came here so you're going to be training a mechanic ...
    It does have the same ECUs (two of them) that are utilized in an F40 which he services but that's about the only thing those cars share.

There's also Classic Coach in Elizabeth which is a lot closer. I haven't dealt with them in a long time. They used have tech who was quite savvy and young. He did all the F40 tuning, has an eeprom emulator and the software to tune those ECUs. He also did all the MC12 federal certification modifications for the cars that came here. But I don't know that he's still there. Classic Coach was a very different place back then.

Most of the practical experience for everyday things probably isn't going to exist at these shops.

Once Covid settles down and I've had my shots LOL maybe we could get together. In the mean time you can PM me if you want. I haven't been to a Cars & Croissants in at least 3 or 4 years.

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Is that another name for a Flux capacitator Bob;-)?

Phil best of luck with the car, great to see a Shamal in the US!

MK1044 likes this.
  9. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    http://www.tunerpro.net/FAQEmulation.htm

It allows you to tune a car's engine ECU when doing tuning on a chassis dyno, especially for dinosaur vehicles like the F40 and all the Maserati's that utilize the same ECU for their engines.

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks, one learns everyday. Now if you call an F40 a dinosaur what do you call a Tipo 26? You run out of appellations at that point.

11. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    So it's your fault! You are spreading the Biturbo virus! :D

Nembo1777 likes this.
  12. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You could only hope that Covid goes away as fast as Biturbos have. The truth though is that they really are nice cars and supremely comfortable.

MrMark likes this.
  13. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Not really, dinosaurs were around for a very long time and were terribly successful but reptiles pre-date dinosaurs and are still around ... ;) Humans are but a recent fly fart on the time scale.

How about a croc @ 200 million? ;)

Nembo1777 likes this.
  14. Chipotle

Chipotle Rookie

Feb 27, 2021
    Full Name:
    Carel
    Nice thread!! I had several Shamals, at the moment I own the prototype.. It is slightly different from the production series. Unfortunately I am new here and can't post pics yet. Still have some parts (also the covers of the rims which I see are missing on the pic) Also have the Shamal workshop manual. If you need some specific technical info let me know! Keep in mind the car is very rare, as well because lots of them are wrecked due to the high torque and short wheelbase.

71Satisfaction likes this.