Just got my 612....noticed something.... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Just got my 612....noticed something....

Discussion in '612/599' started by asg612, Mar 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asg612

asg612 Karting

Feb 17, 2008
    SR, NJ
    Thanks for all the great comments guys! I apprecaite it! I just cant wait to get my new love back.

So, I heard from the mechanic on Friday. It appears that, after further inspection - I say he was basically fininshed with the service and was test driving the car, the parking brake still isnt holding the car. I was told that two of the E-brake wires/cables were "cut" and only the right rear wheel was locking. The left rear wasn't doing anything.

I was shocked as, I didnt think that something like this would have been the problem. Don't these dealers have to sign some type of paperwork that states the car is "safe" and meets all standards? I'm sure selling a car with a faulty and broken parking brake isn't following some rules.

I'll say this, I learned my lesson - I will never buy a car from an exotics dealer. Too much cash to play around with. Do these guys even check the car's out at all? Or do they just buy, detail and sell? I guess they are all different.

Still, she'll come back pristing and fully "overhauled" so I'm excited to drive my new car!

Happy holidays to those that celebrate.

Best,

asg

2. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    That is a very strange failure indeed...........glad everything was sorted out.

Congratulations and happy Easter.

3. ggetz

ggetz Karting

Dec 20, 2007
    asg --

First of all, lengthier reply coming by email -- have been overwhelmed the past several days, but very much appreciated your message.

On the car -- pretty wild. I do think that in today's super-heated exotics market there are many "dealers" who are not to be trusted. Of course, I'm the same guy who bought a used VH watch from a Florida dealer, only to find that the watch had apparently been worked on by a blacksmith! Pre-purchase inspection seems to be the only safe path, unless you know the seller or the car has spotless provenance.

With no offense to the fine members of this forum, Ferrari does seem to have attracted an unusually large number of members of the gold-chain brigade over the past several years -- owners who don't care at all about the integrity of the marque or the cars, but who want the "latest best thing" and have the money to indulge themselves. IMHO, Ferrari caters to these folks at its peril --when the "latest best thing" is no longer a Ferrari but becomes a Lambo or a boat or a thoroughbred horse, it may be a bit of a shock. In the meantime, buying used cars of unknown provenance is a crapshoot as you can never tell who's dumped some disposable income on a car, bottomed it out on a bunch of speed bumps, over-revved it just for fun, and then turned it back in to get his money back -- or in many cases, as with the 599 and 430, for more than his money.

Sorry for the rant, and I fully acknowledge that the majority of F-car owners (and particularly those who care enough to join communities like this one) treat the cars with the greatest respect -- it's just that the "other" types of owners and dealers need to be watched for with great vigilance. Just one person's opinion...

Best,

Gary

4. yellowmz3

yellowmz3 Rookie

Aug 18, 2005
    I just got my 612 last week. I live in Mahwah, anyone interested in a local gathering?
    Rob

5. asg612

asg612 Karting

Feb 17, 2008
    SR, NJ
    Yippie!

WOW! Its like a totally different car. After the service, the car rides like a dream. All those headaches for the past two weeks were worth it! This is a true masterpiece of perfection!

All I can say is, be wary of these used exotic dealers. I have some pictures of the underside of my car before they worked on it and they are scary. Also, Ferrari of LI really took care of me - thanks again guys! Top notch!

- Gary - I'm heading to Europe for some business before the fairs - I'll be in touch!

- Rob - Nice to meet you - I'm back in the US around April 15th. shoot me a PM if you are still interested then to meet up and take the 612's for a ride around the windy roads of northern NJ/Rockland.

Thanks again guys!

asg

6. ggetz

ggetz Karting

Dec 20, 2007
    asg --

Delighted to hear that the fixes to your 612 have done the trick -- they really are great cars, no?

I'm envious about Basel -- please bring my warm regards to Kari, as well as my congratulations on the new Chrono 27 -- a very sweet piece indeed.

Will look forward to catching up on your return.

Best,

Gary

7. londonferrari612

Dec 6, 2006
    California
    My dad had the same problem but I can't remember if he brought it in to the shop or it started working again. Either way we used a big rock to keep it still!

8. Alex1015

Alex1015 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2005
    USA
    Much agreed, it's a very subtle change from standard but I approve big time. Congrats and enjoy!

9. Genyosai

Genyosai Formula Junior

May 28, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    I haven't had a Ferrari car that the parking brake held, yet! My f355 rolls, the 612 rolls, the Quattroporte rolls.

Put the car in first like they say. But even then using first to hold the car on a really steep hill got me into trouble in the f355. I ended up bound in first gear; having to push the car backwards a little to take the pressure off the tranny in order for it to shift to neutral for starting. Glad I was with a friend.

Gees!

--Nick

10. kole

kole Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2005
    The parking brake on all Ferraris are suspect. Do not trust them. I use bricks to ensure the car does not roll back. If you are not at home, make sure handbrake is at the top rung - that seems to be the only setting that holds the cars. Have had this problem on all 10 previous F cars.

11. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would have them send you the 612 exterior badge immediately free of charge. Don't stop bugging him until he sends it.

From what I understand, the parking brake in Ferrari's are suspect. It happened to me once, I had the car running and put the brake on to run inside to grab something, then I noticed the car started to roll backwards. Luckily I was still there so I ran behind it and held it, yelled for my wife who came outside and then got in the car and pressed on the brakes. Talk about a close call.

12. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Congratulations, enjoy!

13. Sareve

Sareve F1 Rookie

Oct 23, 2007
    Singapore/Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Wow this might be a year late but don't worry about the parking brakes. Our brand new 599's handbrake didn't work either. Handbrake issues appear to be a common problem on Ferraris.

14. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That's interesting, my 612's parking brake holds the car just fine. As did my 456.

My 365GT didn't, until I had the cables cleaned up and properly adjusted.

15. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    Welcome to the world of Ferrari, where no handbrake ever works, where 2nd gear requires warming up and where various parts deployed in a Ferrari bag cost 3 times as much as they do from another non Ferrari shop.

16. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    +1