Just joined iracing | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Just joined iracing

Discussion in 'Technology' started by speedy_sam, Jan 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    #26 IamRobG, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    1-Should be fine
    2-Fanatec and Logitech all plug into the wheel base and then the wheel runs one USB into the computer. OR you can have it individually like I do because I'm running different hardware.
    3-Thrustmaster is good as well
    4-You can't do 3 on a mac. You're going to need a PC and have the video card support the 3 monitors independently.
    6-I bought this setup on amazon prime. It was made specifically for the G27. As I've upgraded I've had to modify it (like high quality cardboard underneath the wheel to get the perfect height or the TV wall mounts to hold the shifter in place). The Obutto Ozone is nice too. I plan on upgrading the seat this winter and using the other as a spare or when friends come over.

It's not so much a game, but it is good and you do get your share of jerks. Be WARNED. Beginner level is annoying as ****!. Don't try to compete just try to get your safety rating up so you can level up to class C or B and get away from all the rookies that crash into you. I started most of my rookie class races from the pit lane just to avoid the first turn pile ups. I started dead last and finished 2nd twice because of patience and watching everyone else crash.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Firstly, thanks for the comments - Appreciated.

Prime is almost scary at times isn't it?!.... ;)

$399 on Amazon, delivered free on Wednesday! :eek:

:) Gotcha! [Can think of a few guys on the F1 grid right now who may be well served to do the same! ;) ]

Two monitors is "no good" then? Gotta go to three?

Thanks again for the comments,
    Cheers,
    Ian

3. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    One relatively inexpensive addition that adds a lot to realism is a seat shaker. The Buttkicker Gamer 2 (ButtKicker Gamer - ButtKicker Gamer2) works great. It hooks up like a subwoofer and allows you to feel rumble strips and bumps. It has a remote that allows you to turn it on/off and adjust shake level from the cockpit. There seems to be a glitch in the design with the remote on/off taking several pushes to work, but the up/down level works fine.

4. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Uh-oh! ;)

Also available from Amazon Prime for delivery on Wednesday for ~$150. :eek:

Just because it *appears* they'll run on the Mac, I'm leaning towards one of the Logitechs - Given I'll get it thru Amazon, return is easy if it doesn't behave. But, which one? I like the look of the G29 (shift lights!), but the G920 is the same price? Then there still seems to be much support for the "venerable" G27. Comments?

Despite what this page notes, if you go the specs of each it claims "Windows compatibility" for both. Gaming Controllers - Racing Wheels, Gamepads, Joysticks - Logitech

Should I add the manual shifter?

Again, thanks for the comments guys,
    Cheers,
    Ian

5. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Same question regarding iRacing -- is having 3 monitors an absolute must?

Our racing seat is in front of a 106" projector screen -- so there is plenty of display to work with, but I've heard indirectly (from a non-expert) that you still need 3 screens to get the full field of view.

6. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I sincerely hope not!...... ;)

I certainly don't claim to know, but suspect most folks just run it on the computer monitor (?)

Hopefully, it'll play nice with my Apple TV and I can echo the display to the big(ish!) screen TV.....

I *suspect* you do indeed get a wider FoV with 3 monitors; More "immersive" maybe? But "needed"? I suspect not.

I suspect an expert will be along shortly..... :)

Cheers,
    Ian

7. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    I'm running one 65" right now. Eventually ill upgrade to a 3 but as of right now its fine. You can adjust your field of view in the game.

G27/29 is a good starter wheel. But you'll want to upgrade....ask me how I know ;)

8. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    How do you feed the signal to the TV? HDMI? [I recently bought a 3-way HDMI auto-switch. Maybe I should have gone for the 4 port version!...... ;)

I *hate* doing that!..... And, I will ask, if you don't mind, how do you know?......

Guess I'll go back thru the thread & see what you're using.

Cheers,
    Ian

9. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :eek: Ya think! :D

PLAYSEAT F1 RED

Little beyond where I want to go right now! [OK, they've got cheaper ones, but I'm thinking as a start clamp the G29 (or whatever) to the desk and go from there?

Cheers,
    Ian

10. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    I've gone through 3 wheels, 3 pedals and 2 shifters already. My 2 year old has the logitech clamped to a desk for him to spin back and forth. I rated them earlier and posted a few links.

2 monitors is weird and you'll have a line in the middle of your vision

11. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    This is what I have now: 4 Play Racing Video Game Driving Platform Seat for Logitech G27 G25 Wheel PS3 | eBay

It did take some time to put together, but I'm really happy with it. The guy who sells them (John) was great with support.

I don't love the Playseat -- I bought one for my brother and shipped it directly to FL without having a chance to try it. When I tried it during a visit, it didn't feel that solid and the seating position didn't feel that great. This was a few years ago, maybe they are better now.

12. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Wow! *Very* cool!

I got a particular kick from the options list;

Awesome! How many have you got? ;)

For that price, I'd have thought he'd have come & assembled it for you! :D [J/K - Beautiful piece of kit.]

Thanks for the comments. They're obviously no where near as solid as yours!

FWIW, the "rabbit holes" I'm going down researching this are suggesting rigidity of the whole mess is a big key to the enjoyment.

The previously suggested seat, maybe?

Playseat® Evolution Alcantara PlayseatStore - For all your racing needs -

Cheers,
    Ian

13. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Some other things on the christmas list

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/race-king-r12-led.html You don't think you need it, but when you start getting into the IMSA or Blancpain series on iRacing, you can adjust brake, throttle, engine mapping, T/C, etc and you run out of buttons fast. Its either that or the track boss

2015 DSD Pro Sequential Shifter - Derek Speare Designs

Look through his website and you'll see.

AccuForce Direct Drive Force Feedback Steering Systems and Accessories

Just between those wheels on DSD's website and pedals you're at almost 3K. They get more expensive too. It really helps make the winters shorter especially because you can race as many times as you want.

14. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    As, IIRC, Maverick once noted in TG, "I'm getting a hard on!" :)

Wow!

Thanks for the links,
    Cheers,
    Ian

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    And I can't do that with the "cheaper" rigs?

Cheers,
    Ian

16. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    You can.

But you'll start browsing the forums and looking at other people's setups, realizing that the Logitechs are great but something is missing, you'll think about upgrading for a while, then you'll upgrade just a little bit so you don't spend a lot of money which ends up being a mistake because you should've just done it once and done it right the first time....or that's just me ;)

I'm trying to get as close to the real thing as possible so I wanted full on sim gear.

17. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Gotcha!

I too hate "buying twice", but am not sure how far to go as yet.

After much "research" this is where I am right now;

1. Logitech G27 wheel & pedals;

Amazon.com: Logitech G27 Racing Wheel: Electronics

"#1 best seller". Many (mostly +ve!) reviews. OK price.

2. Apiga Stand;

Amazon.com: APIGA AP2 Foldable Racing Simulator Stand plus gearshift mount: Video Games

I like that it collapses. Also like no central post between my legs!

3. A Buttkicker!

Amazon.com: ButtKicker BK-GR Gamer: Electronics

Just because! ;)

Good, bad or indifferent?

Cheers,
    Ian

18. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    I would take the extra money from the Buttkicker and add it to a wheel setup. Its much more worth it in the end.

Is your legit budget between 800-1000$ or are you looking more in the 4-500$ range. It took a few minutes of justifying to my wife but she understood.

19. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Great info! Is there a definite site to research all this by any chance?

I was going to buy a seat but I think they are overpriced for what they are so I'm just going to make my own. Not sure which yet but I'm leaning towards making Villenueves F1 car or perhaps a 512 cockpit. The open F1 type would be loads easier and smaller. Not to mention, aluminum is my thing! ;) Inpired of course by Remco (see below).

I'd rather spend the money on the wheel and pedals right out of the gate then have to upgrade later. I'd prefer something that would work multi-platform because at this point I have no idea which sim I'll prefer. If I go iRacing I'll build a dedicated PC rather than use my work Mac. Any recommendations of wheel, pedals, shifter to buy and be done with it?

This is the guy that inspired me:

https://youtu.be/4229Nbb4HDc

If I can do this with just a projector and a tub I'd be in heaven. Check out his videos for info:

https://www.youtube.com/user/RemcoHitman/videos

I'm going to the metal shop today to price out the tub! :)

20. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Rfactor and Rfactor two are pretty good. I think the graphics in iRacing is better.

Everything depends on budget. PM me so you don't have to publicisize your budget and i'll steer you

21. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You can build your own seat/wheel stand out of 2x4's easily enough. I did that along with a spare car seat I had lying around, total cost was around 20 bucks and took an afternoon.

I have a projector with 100" screen and a 1st gen oculus rift dev unit. Both are great, but the oculus rift is incredible with iRacing. I will probably get the production unit when it's released, it makes multiple/large screens obsolete (imo). You could also put the whole unit in a closet and play it in there if you wanted to, once the OR is on you don't know the difference (though it might get hot in there). No need for a tub, either, as you can look all around and see your 'virtual' car.

22. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #47 peterp, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A lot of people build them out of 80/20 aluminum. I bought our 80/20 frame as a kit, but they are apparently fairly easy to build yourself:

23. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Definitely agree. The Buttkicker is a frill -- less important than anything else that actually affects driving -- but it does add a lot to the experience and is a pretty good value relative to everything else.

24. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1 I think I'd have almost given up by now if it weren't for the help here.... Thanks again guys!

Too damn many for me right now!

I'm kinda leaning that way too - I *think* the G27/G29 may work with the Mac, but it's maybe a can of worms that is more easily solved with a quick PC build. [Easy, done many.]

Cool! :)

Wanna do two?!....... ;)

Understood. Trouble is, all the "poking around" I've done doesn't really get me anywhere - Seems Fanatec can't keep their stuff in stock, and it's the most confusing site I've ever been too! Any other ideas for wheel + pedals gratefully received [Preferably that I don't have to wait 7 months for as you did! :eek:]

Don't have any wife to worry about!..... Poking round suggests it should be possible to get the whole "kit & kaboodle" as we used to say for under $1K plus a PC if needed. I'm completely open to suggestions.

Seems that way! I'd happily pay a little more for another wheel/pedal setup, but am honestly struggling to find anything (available) that fits the bill. At least on Amazon.

Oh goodness!...... Talk about another rat hole of research!..... I kinda like the idea of not needing a monster screen. How hard is it to "get going"? - I'm pretty "computer literate", but this a whole other can of worms; They have a Rev2 dev kit out now, but it ain't cheap:

Amazon.com: Oculus Rift Developers Kit Dk2: Computers & Accessories

The other thing this rat hole turned up were "cheap" iPhone (etc) "holders" - No idea if they're any good, but if the S/W works could be another "solution"?

Amazon.com: AFUNTA Universal VR Virtual Reality 3D Video Glasses For 4~6 inch Smartphones for 3D Movies and Games, letting everyone enjoy an immersive 3D experience, 'Revelation' - Adjustable Pupillary Distance, Adjustable Strap: Electronics

Cheers,
    Ian