Just joined iracing | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Just joined iracing

Discussion in 'Technology' started by speedy_sam, Jan 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Will do. *Many* thanks for the offer BTW! Hopefully it won't come to that, but I'll bear it in mind.

I paid extra for express shipping of a new TV to go with it; Should have been delivered yesterday, but it's AWOL right now. :(

Soon as that gets here I'll be back on the case; Need the other one for the NFL today! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

2. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    A little update; Seems UPS did indeed "lose" the thing. Checked with them and they confirmed it hadn't been scanned for 24 hours and to have Amazon contact them. I did & they refunded the express shipping fee, extended my prime membership and express shipped another one as long as I promised to send one back if it showed up. Very impressed with their service when it all went tits up!

I've ordered many tens if not a hundred or so items and never had an issue before, so I'll forgive them this one. Should be here tomorrow.

Cheers,
    Ian

3. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    How's the hardware working out, is it set up?

4. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #129 Fast_ian, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    Nope!

Still haven't got a damn monitor! As noted, Amazon re-ordered it; I can now see the Ontrac tracking #, but seems Amazon ****ed up again; Another free month of Prime and "should be here tomorrow" promises!

Probably of more interest is Fanatec's response to my query as to which OS to use;

About as "official" a response as I can expect I feel..... Sticking with 8 for now at least.

Cheers,
    Ian

5. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Well, well, well......

UPS just delivered it! Texted Amazon to cancel the other one.....

Anyway, got it hooked up and am now installing the (nefarious?) updates - Seems I have to reboot this sucker if the mouse moves! :eek: Currently it *claims* to be "installing update 31 of 56".

I think I also grabbed the latest Fanatec drivers, so we'll see soon........

*Never* have this BS on the Mac! (Although, I concede few "games" run on the Mac. ;))

Cheers,
    Ian

6. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Got all 56 of the suckers!

Now it's "working on updates, 25% complete, don't turn off your computer"

I'm optimistic, but not overly so.........

Cheers,
    Ian

7. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    **** me!..... :D

This is *unbelievable*!.... :(

I messed around with the wheel/pedal/puter connections; As before, the pedals are there, but no sign of the wheel. [Shifter is long gone! - Although, please remember, the Mac "saw" it.]

Again, given it's a PC, decided I should probably reboot it;

WTF!?

Cheers,
    Ian

8. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #133 Fast_ian, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #134 Fast_ian, Oct 13, 2015
  10. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    How about now?

11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Ian this might be a dumb suggestion, but are the USB drivers installed on PC, and do you have the fanatec software installed?

12. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #137 Fast_ian, Oct 14, 2015
    No dumb questions - I appreciate the efforts! ;) To answer, I think so.

The pedals are there..... It's looking very much like the wheel is dead. :( No matter which USB port I use (including the one that "shows" (and allows me to calibrate) the pedals, I've never "seen" the wheel since I disconnected it from the Mac.

That I was able to calibrate it on the Mac suggests it is (or at least was!) good. Now however, it just doesn't appear. :(

Cheers,
    Ian
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Dumb Question, did you make sure you put the wheel on PC mode? If my memory serves me correctly i believe you have to hold the select button (to the left of the display) and it'll calibrate to PC mode. It has Xbox mode and PC/PS3 mode.

14. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #139 Fast_ian, Oct 14, 2015
    Hmmm...... I just don't know anymore!

I can't find a manual for the thing. There's an "Xbox" button on the wheel base, but it doesn't seem to do anything. It appears to be a simple push-button, but is labelled 1-2-3-4 as if it's got multiple modes.

If I "push" said button it starts flashing, but still isn't "seen" by the 'puter - As shown above, the pedals are there, but I can't make it "see" the wheel no matter how hard I try! :(

Cheers,
    Ian

15. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    1,2,3,4 is just the number of which controller it would be if it hooked up to the xbox. Ignore that.

You're looking too far down. There's 2 buttons right next to the indicator/gear number/led readout right on the center of the wheel. To the left of that there are 2 buttons. I believe you have to hold down the bigger of the two buttons for a second or two for it to switch to PC mode. There should be a single blue dot on the middle of the LED readout screen which shows PC mode. I can't remember if its the small button or big button, but one of those has to be held otherwise it won't be shown on your comp.

Edit-Press the "back" button. The big one with the arrow/triangle. Hold it for one second, the wheel should jump for a split second.

16. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #141 NeuroBeaker, Oct 15, 2015
    I didn't realize how big iracing is. This advert was on the Motors TV channel, where they then broadcasted a digital Touring Car race set on a digital Silverstone circuit.

All the best,
    Andrew.

17. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Yeah they have giant tournaments and everything. Looking forward to some more Fchatters joining so we can have a hosted race. Once a week or so we can find a time good for everyone and pick a car and a track and go at it.

18. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Ugh! I feel for you. I've been watching your struggle and can't get over how difficult this is turning out to be. Maybe at this point the best thing is to find someone with another wheel and see if that works. If it does, you know your wheel is a dud.

Hope you get it figured out soon!

19. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1 :(

Trying to do the "right thing" I bit the bullet & ****canned the Mac - Cost me a grand, but I figured I'd be in clover......

Indeed. As I'm sure you noticed, Rob very kindly offered to do just that. What's *really* frustrating is I know the Mac saw and calibrated it; I've got a terrible feeling it'll report the dreaded "no fault found".

Not nearly as much as me! Thanks for the kind words anyway.

As suggested above, I'm about to poke at the "LED display".....Would be so much easier if I could find a manual for the thing!

At least the PC now believes everything (the OS, GPU & the Fanatec drivers) are all up to date. That only took about two days! :eek:

It's *so* close I can almost taste it!

Cheers,
    Ian

20. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    That was my hope too!

Don't know if they've got all the GP circuits, but "we" could run our own races immediately after a GP on that track! Maybe in "lesser" cars - the Miata seems popular - But would be way cool to race on the track we've just watched on the 'box!

Cheers,
    Ian

21. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Ian,

Did you find the Xbox / PS3 switch Rob was talking about? That absolutely needs to be the first thing you need to confirm. If it's in Xbox mode then it definitely won't work on the PC.

If it still doesn't work after you've confirmed the switch is set correctly, then you should probably message the eBay seller and ask him what platform he was using (use eBay messages so that your communication is logged). I suspect eBay will force a refund if the wheel doesn't match the seller's description as working.

The CSR owners manual is available here: https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/support/product;old_product_id;62

22. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I'm working on it!....

Thankyou! - I've no idea why I couldn't find that on their site! It's printing now. I do love studying a "hard copy" manual! ;)

I'll do some reading & report back; I'm (once again!) somewhat optimistic......

Cheers,
    Ian

23. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    #148 IamRobG, Oct 15, 2015
    DAMN IT Ian FOCUS! ;)

24. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #149 Fast_ian, Oct 15, 2015
    :D

Given the manual, it seems the PS3/PC setup was indeed the issue!

However, pressing the "back" button as you suggest completely "turns off" the LED display! I think I'd actually been here before, sans manual, and thought I'd managed to power the thing down.

No matter - Check it out! M/f'er now behaves as it should! Woot! All successfully recognized & calibrated - At least in the Fanatec setup. iRacing setup next, but I've *really* got to do some work first! :(

And I've still got half the manual to study! ;)

Once again, *many* thanks to those who stuck with me thru this nausea - I truly would have given up without you guys help!

Cheers,
    Ian

25. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    That'll be $237.43 for troubleshooting fee