Just joined iracing | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Just joined iracing

Discussion in 'Technology' started by speedy_sam, Jan 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Cool. Will add you. RobG and I just did a practice at Limerock in the Skippy's : )

2. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    I'm not worried. Just get yourself some practice so you can hang out with the big boys.

I just don't understand I could probably steal another half a second in the first sector with some braking adjustments and a little perfection and this guy was running 2 seconds faster than the rest of us.

3. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    So just drove the McLaren MP4-30 and, LOL, crap sound has been accurately "simulated".

4. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    I like the BMW better. I think it handles better.

5. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Best combination on iRacing-- Lotus 79 on the Nordschliefe. Wow.

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Some questions:

Do you guys (Ian, Rob, Single Track, any others) play often? What sort of time do you play (in your time zone) Do you use any form of teamspeak/skype/discord to talk with each other?

What sort of cars are you guys using?

Starting to think iRacing is the only way. As soon as you beat the rookie thing and get on ranked servers, racing is respectful. I'm mostly interested in GT2/GT3 spec racing and any form of single seater (really looking forward to the soon to be released Formula Renault 2.0 and 3.5).

What tracks do you guys mostly run? Not interested at all in banked tracks, highly interested in any european track and any track used in F1.

The only person I ever really play sims with rarely plays at the moment. Assetto Corsa is fantastic, and it's getting a (3rd party) rating system at the moment but I've never had a group of people to race with. Also...only takes one raging idiot to ruin everyone's fun by going full throttle in first corners or drive the wrong way, or in any way purposely hitting people. A crash is fine, it happens. but not on purpose.

willing to purchase this if there is a group of people I can frequently play with.

7. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Usually the mornings (US ET) before I have to watch my daughter. Sometimes late at night also. I use Skype or the in-game voice chat.

Always the Skippy since I'm practicing for the real-life winter series. Sebring is the next stop; just got back from Homestead.

Would LOVE to run the Renault 2.0 and 3.5 with you. Same - very much looking forward to that.

Sebring, Homestead (road course B), Road Atlanta...that's basically it. The other two tracks on the winter series are not in the game unfortunately - NOLA and Roebling. I've done a little bit at Limerock also which is fun. Watkins Glen is dope (former f1 track), and I want to run Laguna in real life also...so would be up for that. But I'm down to try some F1 stuff with more frequency after I'm done with Sebring in 3 weeks.

We usually host our own practices, then we can kick people if they are morons...I believe. I know all the guys I race with so has not come up, but I believe admins can do so.

Not sure how frequently our times will line up, but I'm always interested. Keep in mind that hosting your own sessions does cost money each time. So just be aware. They run some serious discounts if you keep a look out also, so you can save tons of money. Also be aware that the cars and tracks are purchased individually (minus those included in the game), so costs can add up.

Any questions, just ask...I don't do much online racing in reality in the leagues, but will answer what I can.

8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Thanks for the reply.

USA mornings are fine for me, works out to be end of the day for me or thereabouts. Skippy car looks quite fun and should provide close racing, so that's all good for me :).

I don't know the USA tracks very well, only know Sebring from consoles mostly (never really gelled with it), homestead looks decent and Road Atlanta I quite like.

What I can't for the life of me figure out is which cars and tracks are included in the game! If you buy it, iracing website states you get 14 cars and 12 tracks, but doesn't mention which one! If all 14 cars are Nascar's and the tracks are all ovals, this game will get very expensive very quickly, haha.

9. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It really is close. It's also very touchy with the correct setup which is not the default. It's essentially a formula ford, so all the greats have been through the platform in one way or another. It will make you better in all the more powerful and technological advanced cars. It punishes minor mistakes. Brake release is usually what bites people the hardest. Too abrupt and the rear end steps out very quickly.

Sebring is so hard to understand in game if you haven't driven it in real life. Without the chassis moving under you in t1,t17, and a number of other turns it's very hard to get the procedure right. But I can explain and show you in a lead-follow : )

Road Atlanta is incredibly technical. It kicked my ass in real life even though I was fast there in the sim. Homestead is more fun in real life, but there is almost no escape in real life or the sim from slower racers because the draft is so massive through the nascar turns.

Yah it's confusing for sure. IIRC the skippy is included, the spec racer ford, and the mx5. Those are all a great foundation to drive anything else. I can't recall the tracks and the costs can add up for sure. The Williams f1 is a must drive. Just absolutely awesome from top to bottom and a huge challenge to drive as one would expect.

10. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    #210 IamRobG, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
    I usually hop on every weekend when my kids napping and its cold. Summer time (may-sept) I'm rarely on unless its a rainy weekend.

I own almost every track and road car over my career so i'll race anything.

I don't voice chat, but i'll text chat after the race. I find it distracting when people are talking while I'm trying to pass or defend.

I also have Assetto Corsa, Rfactor, Rfactor2 as well. I find iRacing to be a good balance between physics and graphics. Rfactor2 is great for physics, I just use that for practice.

Radicals are fun, but they grouped them with the HPD-ARX so it became a crash fest.
    Formula Mazda is fun
    Skippy's I've growned to enjoy, except the 2 races I did I've been hit and knocked back. I also find that I lose focus in the skippy and start to daydream because its not real life so I don't really have to pay attention and its not that demanding. I end up going from top 3rd to 11th because I either get hit or go to LaLa land and go off track.

The IMSA series and Blancpain series are fun too, but there's no point in competing for the lead. If we can get a group of people we know aren't cheating or gaming the system its a lot more fun. Singletrack and I traded a few laps and lead changes when we were playing and seemed to fully trust each other not to do something stupid.

Get it, for 50$, you really can't spend it wrong. Get used to it, get a couple of tracks and cars you like. If you have any questions on cars, ask. I'll tell you whats fun and what sucks.

Edit-Free cars and tracks I posted a link somewhere but I can't find it. Skippy, Mazda MX-5, Formula Mazda, Caddy CTS-V, Spec Ford, A nascar or two. Lime Rock, Laguna Seca, I think Charlotte, a few other road courses.

11. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Trust is the key for sure. Almost got launched at Homestead in real life this past weekend at over 100mph because a newer racer thought it would be a-ok to block me on the low side at the last minute after previously squeezing me on the high side of the start finish. Talk about heart rate spike. Contrast that with 2 more experienced racers and we ran 3 wide (me in the middle) into turn 1 without issue at 125mph with 50mph wind gusts in practice (no bs).

I wish they would add rain to iracing though. I understand racecraft1 uses rfactor2 for rain training since iracing doesn't include it. May check it out for that reason. I've had rain each weekend in the real series - either in practice or the race, and the karters have a big edge on me here because I don't have enough seat time in those conditions.

12. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    rFactor definitely has a lot better physics. The graphics are early 2000's computer esq, but the physics are definitely better. I gave the rain a shot for about 5 minutes but had to stop. I'll investigate further into that to see how slippery it is.

Did you confront the dumb dumb racer?

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Good stuff. Buying it now. People have raved about it for so long, it's really time I try it out.

I'll probably buy Spa and a GT3 car, but have a play first with Mx5 and star Mazda and get a rating.

:eek: Racing with someone you don't know on a game can be frustrating. Doing the same in real life and moves like that...****.

14. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I went to the director of competition and showed him the video, then we all had a chat. He issued a formal warning and gave a lecture about that move and another - over-slowed me in a turn intentionally and also blocked again. Big penalties next time. I'm 37 and 6'4, so not entirely fair, or smart, for me to get in a kid's face honestly regardless of the infraction.

I was pretty hot because he also killed my race by racing me for 5th place when I had shown the pace to win all week. Just totally stupid. He was pretty fast in a couple of turns, but dead slow in many others. I would have liked to think it was just inexperience, but I read him to be lying in the exchange, and now have video evidence he was as well. He already has a bad rep with the other parents of the young kids. I also understand the race control radio chatter included a comment to "start watching him" after the really dangerous move.

We shook hands and hopefully that behavior ends. If not, I'll settle it on the track - think Hamilton Rosberg turn 1 COTA 2015. As the instructors are fond of saying, "karma's a b1tch".

But honestly, if I'm continuing to allow him to affect my races the remainder of the season, then I've failed anyway, so it's on me to make him a bump in the road vs a roadblock.

15. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    You said it. First race with my wife watching also...she was actually more pissed and got in his face - "You're dirty!" she said. LOL! But I was just thinking, man if I go upside down with her watching...that is horrible for her.

16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    well bought it.

Bit of a faf trying to figure out how to join a server but getting there. Got my first race in MX5 cup at phoenix in 10 mins.

Am I right in saying there are generally no sessions to join where you can just lap with others? You have to register for a race etc?

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Started 10th in my first race, phoenix infield...don't know the track apart from the 5 laps or so i did.

In the race I made a few shifting errors (didn't depress clutch fully) so lost a lot of time, and made 2 mistakes which cost me 10 seconds easy. Got punted of in the heat off battle too...

Finished 6th in the end. With all the time lost, 3rd of 4th would've been doable.

On to the next one!

18. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    You can find sessions, but they may not exist; depends how many people are on and if they are private, etc. You can also just practice by yourself for free of course.

19. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Nice start man! I have to do more online racing myself!

20. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Not too shabby. Do yourself a favor. Don't race in the MX5 competitively. Just laps and laps and laps until you get the hell out of rookie class. When you can't race in a group, do Time Trials and don't even go for speed. Just complete laps without mistakes. Once you get to B it really livens up, but C is good enough to get rid of the idiots.

And don't worry about your iRating either.

21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Ah really, time trials will get my rating up? I'm fine racing in a group myself normally, it's just others I worry about (and my suspicions where right, again, today).

22. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    PM me your racing name ill friend you.

The SR is a lap vs incident formula. More laps less incidents

23. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Just joined too. Getting ready for my race @ Homestead this weekend. I have mine linked to Fanatec wheel & pedals. It's a good system but the force required to turn wheel is crazy. How do I reduce the effort required? Thanks

24. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Arm exercises. ;) :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

25. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    You turn down the strength in the settings. Which wheel do you have? The Clubsport 2 can just about break your wrists in a crash if you have it set to the wrong settings.

On the CS2, I use "linear" mode and about 18-20 on force feedback for the formula wheel, which is close-ish to the Skippy car. You will want to tweak based on the wheel and car.

Decent guide here I found useful:

iRacing Force Feedback Settings | Selah.