Just ordered my first Ferrari (Portofino) buyers remorse and loads of questions | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Just ordered my first Ferrari (Portofino) buyers remorse and loads of questions

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by DrAMS, Feb 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DrAMS

DrAMS Rookie

Feb 14, 2019
    I am located in the UK specs are not finalised until September 2019 so I am going to share my preliminary spec with you guys to get feedback before then. My atelier appointment at the factory is sometime in June/July (factory is closed in August)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Okay I understand, have fun.

3. DrAMS

DrAMS Rookie

Feb 14, 2019
    My specs are:
    Colour: Rosso Corsa with Nero roof
    Sports exhaust
    Forged 20 inch wheels
    Nero interior with Rosso stitching
    Yellow brake
    Yellow rev counter
    Ferrari shields on fender
    CF driving zone
    CF dash insert
    Apple car play
    Aluminium foot rest
    High power HiFi

Not sure about adding
    CF center bridge and cup holder
    AFS
    Electrochromatic mirrors
    Alcantara inserts

4. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    You should get full electric seats in Daytona which should come with the electrochromatic mirrors with homelink. Those will help with resale while any additional CF beyond what you have spec'd will be a total loss on this car at resale.

MelbourneCarl likes this.
  5. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Ferrari Silicon Valley has one for sale: red with cuoio/black interior.

6. DrAMS

DrAMS Rookie

Feb 14, 2019
    Full electric seats are standard in the UK and in the UK home link is not really used

7. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Well I would definitely add electrochromatic mirrors then.

DrAMS likes this.
  8. Russ123

Russ123 Rookie

Nov 3, 2018
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Stu
    Nice spec. I didn’t go for Apple car play but did go for central bridge in CF (but not the cup holder). Wasn’t bothered by the electrochomatic mirrors personally. I also went for Daytona seats. With a dark interior I would also consider the horse stitched in red on the headrest for contrast.

9. tquinton

tquinton Rookie

Aug 25, 2017
    Cuoio :)

10. Y not

Y not Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    G2
    Great spec. Will watch this thread with interest as you are a bit ahead of me, will be placing my order in a couple of months to time when the car arrives.

DrAMS likes this.
  11. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    For me, the best way to buy a Ferrari is the old-fashioned way.

Spend enough time to determine what options you want in your car, make sure you test drive the model at least 2x to confirm you really like the car (more than other cars), then customize a new car to those exact specifications and include something special from the Ferrari Inedita (tailor-made) program. Buy it with cash and keep the car for life. No depreciation problem. ;)

tomc likes this.
  12. NZCREW

NZCREW Karting

Nov 20, 2018
    I have decided not to spec the Apple Car Play or Hi-Fi Premium System. During a recent test drive I played around with the Apple Car Play and did not find it any easier to use than the standard software. Given you also need to plug in your mobile (not bluetooth), I didn't see the point. I also found the standard sound system to be fine. I also found I didn't use the radio much - given the sound of the PF itself. IMO the cupholders are a weak point in the interior of the car - a bit cheap and flimsy. As such I think upgrading to CF is worth while. And given this, then adding the bridge gives a full interior CF look. :)

DrAMS likes this.
  13. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    The only thing I'll add is that a big value CarPlay adds is if you're going to keep your car for a long time... Apple will update the software via your iPhone whereas Ferrari will eventually stop updating the infotainment and at some point it'll just look old. If you don't plan to keep the car very long, or just don't care about that sort of thing, then no biggie. I personally love the Siri integration and won't buy a car without CarPlay now, but to each their own.

14. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Keith, I have to agree with you on the Apple car play. Since Apple updates the software this may be a plus when you go to sell it. My Boise system is pretty funky and non user friendly. If it could be updated I certainly would but then Ferrari would charge an arm and leg for the update. It makes sense to have the entertainment system outside the Ferrari systems for tech and financial reasons.

15. Y not

Y not Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    G2
    I cannot make my mind up on CarPlay yet as there is a very real possibility that Apple’s usual built in obsolescence strategy could appear down the line. For me the cost vs functionality vs risk ain’t worth it. It might still work in 3years but has the software bloated to the point where the hardware is outdated and cannot run it fast enough? Imaging having to buy a new car to move to the latest software. Extreme example but I’ve a draw full of iPhones because of this.

LARRYH likes this.
  16. NZCREW

NZCREW Karting

Nov 20, 2018

17. NZCREW

NZCREW Karting

Nov 20, 2018
    Both of these points are very interesting. If the Apple CarPlay became Bluetooth compatible... that would make a big difference for me. Software upgrades by Apple could be a double edged sword. The large display in the PF is very nice and useable. But if software becomes outdated it may have a bigger impact and outdated the vehicle quicker.

18. XDINO

XDINO Karting

Feb 20, 2008
    Chicago / Naples
    Full Name:
    Rich
    My Portofino does not have CarPlay. I do have CarPlay on my GLA45. Until recently I didn’t use it because it requires plugging in the phone. I preferred MB’s wireless bluetooth nav system. Then late in 2018 IPhones became compatible with WAZE after performing update 12.1. With real time updates on road hazards, red light cameras, and police that WAZE provides I don’t even mind plugging in my phone now.

19. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Interesting point... I guess you can use CarPlay up until then, and then the built-in infotainment if it comes that point (where software is too taxing on the car's hardware). At some point obsolescence exists in everything. :)

20. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Money wise, all cars depreciate. Some Ferraris do more than others. I think Porto is beautiful. Why don't you just find a used one? Tons of them will be coming up with less than 1000 miles...or even less.

Golden Steed likes this.
  21. John458

John458 Karting

Nov 24, 2014
    Ohio
    If you can afford it and this is your first Ferrari, it will be worth the 90k in depreciation! I think Portofino looks much better than the Cali T. I owned a Cali T and I see the Portofino as a convertible version of F12! Have fun and be excited to receive emails when your car is starting production!

LucasFerrari, 09Scuderia and DrAMS like this.
  22. LucasFerrari

LucasFerrari Rookie

Mar 21, 2019
    California
    Rather than ordering a new Portofino I just bought a 2019 Portofino in rosso corsa with 1000 miles on it, a few weeks ago. I went in to my local ferrari dealership and they had it in the front of the showroom. Its my first Ferrari and I wanted a convertible. My choice was the Portofino or the 488 spider. I never cared for the looks of the California. I have two small kids so having the small back seats made more sense for the next 2-3 years. I have the Ferrari bug now. I am already thinking of a V12 ferrari for my next Ferrari.. an F12, 812 Superfast or an 812 Superfast aperta which is rumored to be coming out.

Thecadster likes this.
  23. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Welcome to the madness. Post up some pics of your new ride!
    T

24. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Pretty darn cool!:cool: