Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JERRYZ, Feb 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Oh and btw, these Roadster performance numbers are for the base model. There will be a faster version of this same car! Insane! Ludicrous! Plaid!

2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    If they were ever able to build it they would lose money on every one at 200k. It will never happen as specified.

3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    it's a very impressive accomplishment indeed. I wonder what kind of compound it has. I remember seeing a video saying the theoretical maximum 0-60 is 2 seconds on street tires. I reverse engineered the equation and came to around 7.8 for the 1/4 on same tires.

I do believe the next gen supercars will all hit that ~ <2-second barrier unless new tire compounds are used. Which makes the 1/4 the new battleground using street tires.

4. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    That's what the naysayers said about the Model S and yet it has a 25% profit margin. Same with the Model X. BTW, those are pretty much the highest profit margins in the auto industry. Now don't be foolish enough to come back with some misguided retort about Tesla losing money. They are CHOOSING to spend at a rate that posts losses each quarter because they are investing heavily into R&D (which leads to the fastest car ever) and SG&A (to service all of the cars they will be selling in the future).

5. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    I've got Michelin Pilot Sports on my Model S and I can hit 2.3 0-60. The Roadster will also have street legal tires achieving those amazing performance numbers. The big advantage Tesla's have is ELECTRONIC TC. Every other car on the road is mechanical TC and that is slower for obvious reasons. So Tesla translates a higher rate of the power to the road vs. any ICE car.

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Ok so i am going to be honest with you: if you are bothered by the fact that your ferrari needs to warm up and the gas engine shakes up etc then truly your ferraris were likely just a phase in your life and toys to you.
    I own an electric car, a big amg and a testarossa.
    For my commute i drive the electric car; for long journeys the merc wins it hands down and for pleasure and track usage it’s ferrari all day.
    Now i hear you: the tesla is like a great ipod and has great torque. Point taken...that being said it has no soul, no driving feedback and is not meant for twisty roads whatsoever.

Now between my electric car and my s63amg for a short journey quite frankly id only take the electric car for the sake of carpool lane.
    The s63 interior is much nicer, better build quality, it has the same guizmos, drives itself too( u will notice tesla exchanged battery from their tesla for merc’s switches), it has a real blind spot assist, a better topspeed and it makes a lovely sound.

I hear u; teslas are awesome, i have shares as well and they are the future but i think u have somewhat lost ur loved with ferraris bc u might have forgotten what they are all about: soul , passion and track; not being stranded on the 405.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tricycle likes this.
  7. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    No matter how fast a Tesla goes, it will always be a toy to me. Reminds me of a golf cart. I know my pick up truck is "farting" something horrendous into the air, but I genuinely enjoy burning fuel, especially when I can hear it.

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The Tesla to me is an iPad/laptop on wheels. Mobile, has a battery, internet connection with updates, touchscreen, same design with updated internal specs every year, etc.

9. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Testa has as much soul as the Ipad I am writing on now.. boring cars, boring accountant styling, comes with form fitted slippers as standard equipment, and requires you to park two blocks from the party so that nobody can see what horrible mistake you have made, and you can still pretend to be cool, while wearing your cardigan sweater and corduroy pants.. awsome car for Austin Powers,.... but not me.. (how is that for run-on sentence:))

stavura likes this.
  10. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Not even Tessa is claiming 2.3 for an everyday "s" version. Only theory would allow that, not real world.... and after 60mph, you would still be driving a "tractor" with no torque. And that is when the real fun begins......

11. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Check any dragstrip web site. MANY P100D's have sub 2.3 0-60.

12. Natkingcolebasket69

Not sure the point of talking about tesla on a ferrari site.
    That being said my old 05 cl65 barely tuned, ecu, tcu would do the 1/4 mile in the same time as a p100d whilst weighting a lot... that was 12 years ago and that to me is even more impressive than what tesla did... and that was with a 0-60 in around 4 secs:..tells u how the mercedes engine pulls and would crush a Tesla in a staight line... no wonder why pagani uses a derived version of it in its cars...

Bas likes this.
  13. Natkingcolebasket69

10.8 for a 140k car whilst u can have the cl65 for 30k now;)

Just teasing...

Great cars those teslas for sure but not sure why we discuss them on f chat.

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I don’t doubt the claim of sub < 2 ,just interested in the science of it. Even with perfect TC, the upper bound was 2.05.

I’m thinking they got new model specific tires for it that are street legal that are just enough grip to break the 2 second record.

15. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    I guess you were wrong. Wildly.

JERRYZ, Robin and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  16. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I admire what Tesla has done, and the cars themselves. But ultimately I cant think of any reason why they wont be squashed like a bug by companies like Audi, BMW etc, therefore not investing any real money in them.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  17. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    I'm 360 Canuck and rampante550 like this.
  18. 2bf360

2bf360 Karting

Dec 18, 2014
    WA
    Full Name:
    Heng
    To me Tesla is just like the new kid on the block. It's never going to get me sold over my f430 spider. Ferrari has a unique high pitch lovely sound that none of any make that can replicate it. Even though, Tesla can beat Ferrari 0 to 60 or in 1/4-mile, my soul will be in Ferrari.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    TSLA was right around $200/share when this thread was started. Now at $318 today. Over 50% return. Good move!

20. pbvinn

pbvinn Rookie

Apr 10, 2016
    Good luck sourcing the refined cobalt required for the batteries, Elon....

21. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    And what do we do with hundreds of tons of used batteries with poisonous chemicals, plastic and non-recyclable items from electric cars. Also, they use much more electricity than advertised. Just think about the fact that 30-50% of electricity is lost on the grids in OECD countries.

That means that you have to generate almost twice the energy consumed to power these "toasters". So, when comparing energy efficiency and the recycling costs, are electric cars really that more "green" than modern cars?

Also, when demand for electricity increases, prices will also. That means that low income households will have to pay higher heating and cooling bills. Hmm.. I believe that in economics this is called "the law of unintended consequences".....

stavura likes this.
  22. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I still miss my Blackberry.

JERRYZ and bberg009 like this.
  23. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Tesla is lightyears ahead of the rest of the auto industry. The proof is in the pudding. Last month Daimler unveiled their electric semi truck. A class 7 truck that will go 220 miles. Last week Tesla unveiled their class 8 (biggest class of semi truck) with a range of 500 miles!!!!!!!! If Daimler could make their smaller truck go further they would. Don't you think a 300 mile Daimler would be better than a 220 mile Daimler?

24. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    You should update the story. Most of that package is from Nevada to attract the Tesla Gigafactory which is creating thousands of jobs for their state. This isn't a tax gift to Tesla, it was a bribe. It's legal and ethical. The next biggest chunk is the Federal tax credit to buy an EV. It's available to all automakers and goes away after Tesla sells 200,000 cars in the US. Another big chunk is the California tax rebate to purchase an EV. CA just revised it to take it away from anyone that can afford a Tesla. This is also available to all automakers.

To imply Tesla is getting by on the backs of taxpayers is misleading.

25. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Not sure I understand the 0-60 stuff. How many times are people flooring it from a standstill? 60-100 in highway overtaking is more impressive for real world use. If you want to go to a track, I think half mile/mile racing and Vmax stuff would be more fun. Just watching the Koenigsegg bounch off the rev limiter at 284 mph (!!!) was crazy to watch...I can't imagine the feeling of going that fast with a huge engine behind your ears screaming.

My buddy of mine used to own a 32 Ford roadster with a Chevy 454 in it of all things (it was bored or stroked...can't remember which) and a few other modifications. That thing was crazy to drive around even below 100mph. I've been in an F40 well over the speed limit as well. Those experiences cannot be replicated with electric.