Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JERRYZ, Feb 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Yes they can and do. Except for the noise.

2. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    We all have our own thrills but for me it is definitely under 100 mph. First of all the majority of our driving is under 60 mph and it's mostly illegal and often unsafe to approach 100 mph. The acceleration you feel getting up to speed is much more powerful. And if you have done it in a Tesla then you know the g's are real. Harder to get pinned to your seat 60-100.

Funny that you mention the Koenigsegg. My buddy Jeffrey Cheng set that up. I've driven that highway with him while in my 430 many times. One particular day we had a large caravan of 25 exotics. After a day at the track in Pahump we were heading to Vegas. We were cruising at 150 mph when a sudden gust of wind picked up my car and 2 others and dropped us off on the shoulder. It happened so fast I didn't know what hit me. Worse, the car was unstable due to losing downforce. Scariest moment of my life. On a shoulder at 150 with an unstable car that I couldn't get back on the highway. Fortunately the aerodynamics kicked in and I got the car under control. So I prefer pinned to the seat 0-60 than illegal speeds all day long.

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You bring up a very good point. The reverse areo issuee begining with the 360 seems to have been shoved under the rug. I can remember taking a 360 at speed over a fairly undulating road, and the car felt very unstable,scary in fact. The cat felt like it wanted to take flight
    Not a good feeling.

4. dkyranakis

dkyranakis Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2013
    Centreville, DE
    Full Name:
    Demetri Kyranakis
    No sound or feel. A great car for business or commuting but certainly no sports car. I personally have 0 interest. There is huge competition on the way from Porsche, Audi, BMW and MB. I would be careful buying all of that stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think bottom line is you made a great financial decision! I would miss my Ferraris. The Tesla is a great daily car for many people.

6. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    It's not misleading... it is FACT. If anything, you can say that they are no longer getting by with the help of taxpayers, but Tesla is where they are because of government subsidies. You are correct it is legal, but ethical is a subjective argument for P&R;)

7. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Sorry but there is no competition coming from Germany or anywhere else when it comes to battery prowess. Want proof? Last month Daimler unveiled their electric semi truck. It is a class 7 vehicle with a 220 mile range. Last week I witnessed the Tesla unveil of their semi. It is a class 8 (largest semi you can drive) with a 500 mile range!!!!!!!! Tesla is actually pulling away from the competition. Daimler Mercedes is the world's largest seller of semi trucks. If they were competitive they would be able to make a class 8 truck and they would be able to come close to Tesla's 500 mile range. They are WAY behind.

8. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    It is very misleading. Tesla used the tax credits to build a factory in NV to create jobs for that state. Tesla customers used tax credits that were set up for ALL automakers equally. The only tax credit that helped Tesla is the CAFE credit. All that did was help Tesla post a profit in Q1 2013. Helped the stock briefly. But that income was NEVER part of the business plan and that income has NEVER been a meaningful part of Tesla's history.

****** Tesla is the ONLY automaker to pay back the government assisted loan for EV makers. Ford, Nissan, etc. still haven't paid it back yet. This loan was initiated under the Bush administration and intended to spur a movement toward producing more EV's.

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    My brother was one of the first to get the S and X. My next door neighbor was employee #22 and helped designed the powertrains, in fact, he was one of the first 30 to get the Model 3 (along with his pair of Ss). You could say I've been around these cars. Tesla beyond all odds has delivered in my opinion. They are amazing vehicles. This latest roadster will no doubt be the fastest accelerating car - I believe it.

That said, you could appreciate both - love Tesla AND Ferrari. No rule that says you must choose one over the other. They both have pros and cons. If there's anything I've learned about the auto industry is COMPETITION IS GOOD! It forces everybody to up their game. Who wins? We do as consumers. The writing is on the wall. Sweater man went from "No Electrical & No SUV" to okay "Hybrid" - then okay "Ferrari style SUV" and just last week he said a car with 100% electrical powertrain will be in Ferrari's future.

If that's not a concession to the times, I don't know what else is. Tifosi don't have to like it, and that's fine too! It builds equity (at least until we all die out) for the 'classic cars' that we all own - but electric is here and it ain't going anywhere.

Jerryz, glad to hear you did well with your stock and that you are enjoying Tesla! My view is there will be some interesting hybrid cars in the next 10 years.

10. Booker

Booker Formula 3

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    #285 Booker, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Correct, Tesla used taxpayer money to build their business. How long until the taxpayers working at Tesla make all their money back?

Technically this is correct, but it's quite clear that Tesla was the primary motivation for such legislation

This is the ethical part that I disagree with.

What about the 10 YEAR property tax exemption in NY with $750million in incentives? I just find it disingenuous to praise Elon and Co when almost any company would be successful with $5 billion in assistance. I respect the product, and that is why I'm so disgusted with the government assitance - they don't need it! Also, california just upped the ante to $3billion in subsidies for "all" manufacturers

And now Elon wants to stop subsidies... after he has such a large gap on everyone... just sleazy in my opinion.

For those that like reading:
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-06-11/its-confirmed-without-government-subsidies-tesla-sales-implode
    http://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-stock-price-california-state-government-bailing-out-2017-7
    http://www.weeklystandard.com/elon-musk-wants-to-end-government-subsidies/article/2009014

11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Musk is a master at sucking from the teets of the government, that's for sure. But Fiat benefited too with the taxpayer funds during the Chrysler bailout .....I'll stop now, this is quickly degenerating into P&R!

360+Volt=Prius likes this.
  12. Booker

Booker Formula 3

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    Haha I agree probably don't want to open up that can of worms. Getting back to the original topic, I think betting on Tesla 3 years ago was a great idea, but betting on Ferrari wasn't bad either, despite how much I dislike the direction they are heading. In fact, I think Ferrari stock will do well with the addition of the SUV and Tesla might decline as other manufacturers catch up.

paulchua likes this.
  13. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    I presume none of the people commenting on Tesla handling have ever driven one in twisting roads or motorkhana... handles absolutely flat through the corners I was gobsmacked.

14. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I dunno, for me, acceleration at a stop light is a pretty important performance measure and something I would use pretty often. I don't really need tons of power for highway overtaking...I just need lane space. Police here are unforgiving of speeds at 100mph. I rarely go past 125kph. Anything more and I may as well resign to being a pedestrian.

15. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

The police statement is to be argued.
    This is America; u have money? U get away with murder just like OJ did.
    Its the country u pay a lawyer not to pay ur ticket.
    I was once, true story, on a trip to vegas with a convoy which involved a current f1 driver going to vegas; the helicopter saw him and he was pulled at 200mph. What happened? Nothing he still drove free...
    Now i of course am a mere mortal but its fairly easy here to speed and get away with it, specially if you have a foreign license too;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    You make it seem like Tesla got $5B. You obviously don't understand how it works. The biggest chunk is from NV. Something like $2B. It's not a gift to Tesla. It's spread out over 20 years. It is a reduction in the taxes Tesla would normally pay over 20 years. And Tesla isn't eligible for the tax breaks unless they hire enough people and help the state of NV. If Tesla hits the incentives then the state of NV enjoyed over $100B of economic benefit with all of the jobs brought to the state. That is from the Governor's office. So your disgust is based on a lack of understanding the facts. NV was competing with other states including CA who were offering lesser packages. So good for the people of NV and good for Tesla.

17. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Tesla is honestly going full scam right now. They're burning cash at a rate that is insane for not having any competition. The final nail in the coffin for me that tesla is a full scam was Elon looking for $250k paid in full years in advance of a roadster being delivered. The reality is he's struggling to get the model 3 launched and he has to get the stock higher to do a secondary bc he wants to dilute as little as possible so he has his pep rallies where everyone hoots and hollers and he shows the roadster and the truck.....get outta here.

The truck has what 4 model 3 batteries? Where is the infrastructure to charge this thing? It doesn't exist. Can you imagine a tesla truck stop? It would be all vegans and trannies. I couldn't fathom it. Worse what we're talking about is he's pumping things that wont exist and thats so crooked, I cant believe the SEC is not stepping in. Im a trader for a living, and Im sure tesla goes higher, the chart certainly points that way and elon will pump nonstop but lets not forget what he did to solar city shareholders......that was a $90+ stock and it crashed sub $20 and he took it private to bailout his cousins and screw the shareholders. If he's done that before whats stopping that from happening again with tesla?

Tesla is a cool car, amazing car but the stock is a totally different story of mismanagement, lies, and just outright fraud. Solar city was a bailout and china is producing panels way cheaper than all this gigafactory nonsense he has in buffalo. The nevada gigafactory is a joke too. Elon is just an outfright fraud at this point constantly pumping and running a ponzi scheme basically with this pay me in full $250,000 for a roadster that will be late bc everything he does is late.

I was a big fan of the company and cars but now i just want to see it crash and burn bc elon is so scummy.

18. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Almost time for a short sale or puts for the not faint of heart.

19. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I'm in Canada. Money doesn't buy the same privileges here perhaps....or at least, I'm certainly not in that exclusive group for which it does. Speeders are like hunting trophies for cops.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I'm actually a 'RACE' owner not 'TSLA' but I don't see any evidence of the company being a Ponzi scheme. I've seen Model 3s on the road already, and the demand is incredible. Paypal just hit an all-time high, is profitable, and Space X is going from strength to strength. Tesla definitely has competition, from bmw "i" line, Bolt, 500e, Leaf, etc. What happened to solar city happen to the whole industry - Solyndra anybody?

Not saying TSLA is a great investment, I have no clue. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was acquired by an automaker in the future.

21. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    You do realize Elon has 50 years of combined experience leading corporations don't you? And you can't find one legitimate claim to corporate malfeasance. Because he's honest and ALWAYS delivers what he promises. He's just always LATE. Big deal.

And for those who claim competition is coming....wrong. Proof? Tesla semi truck: class 8 & 500 mile range. Mercedes semi truck: class 7 & 220 miles. Folks, Daimler Mercedes is the largest maker of semi's in the world.

22. Booker

Booker Formula 3

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    #297 Booker, Nov 23, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    I completely understand it, and it's huge gamble for the state of Nevada. The governors office is not a reliable or unbiased source. The 100B figure you quoted has not happened yet because that is supposed to come over 20 years, and it will probably never happen because it is an insane assumption with no basis. No government subsidy pays off that well. Tesla expected 500m in incentives and NV gave them way more than double, with a near total tax break for a decade! So while Tesla grows with government help, public schools and infrastructure and social welfare are negatively impacted- all for what? 6000 jobs? Even that number is a lofty estimate. You can say it might be good for the state of NV or even that encouraging EV growth is good for the world, but that doesn't make the government help ethical in my opinion.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2014/09/05/nevada-wins-tesla-gigafactory-but-at-what-cost.html

23. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    You are either grossly misinformed or lack the ability to understand a basic contractual agreement. Tesla gets NO HELP until they create the jobs. There is NO RISK to Nevadan's. Tesla has to perform or they get squat. Very simple. How is that risky for Nevadans? BTW, I'm pretty sure the state of NV understands gambling better than you and I combined. The house ALWAYS wins.

24. YorkieV12

YorkieV12 Karting

May 23, 2014
    It's been interesting reading all this.......but it does sound like a big PR exercise for Tesla.......and a few out there talking up share values. Nervous already ? No doubt the world will be all electric in 10/15 years ?...but where the hell will all the volts come from ? Something has to be dug up, burned and turned into an available plug-in re-charge......and on a global scale. Wind generators? Are you kidding ? The logistics don't add up. I'm stocking up on candles.......there will be some dark and cold nights ahead.
    Another point missed almost entirely. Currently these electric missiles are available in Mach 1 mode, but unless there is going to be some restriction...maybe by legislation, then everyone out there has the opportunity of driving as if it's a grand prix in even the lowliest of models. Given that at least 50% of the motoring population shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a steering wheel anyway, based on ability, then one can only foresee carnage out there, on an unprecedented scale. Just wait until there is a big multi pile up, with battery power shorting out, and no paramedics willing to go anywhere near it. It will happen. I'm sticking to the infernal combustion engine until I'm too old to drive......not that far off anyway ! Good luck to you guys just hummin' along.
    Hoping to find some petrol for my 575 for a few years yet......fingers crossed, then.

anunakki and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  25. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Loosing money fast, by making cars people are not willing to pay the cost of manufacturing for, is not a great archivement... in Q2 this year, Tessa lost another $401 million on only $2.7 billion revenue. That is a 15% loss. And that was in a single quarter. In 2016, they "only" lost $675 million and have never made a penny in profits, ever!

Tessa sold 76,000 vehicles last year, Ford alone did 2,600,000, and earned $4.6 billion. Tessa is just a rounding error in their budgets. So, yes anyone of the big-10 car companies can crush Tessa as soon as they want (I bet it will be after Tessa enlarges the electric car buyers and they think they can make real money in this currently tiny, tiny, tiny market)....

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.