Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA | Page 28 | FerrariChat

Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JERRYZ, Feb 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Yes, it does indeed sound like he's formed a religion around Musk. Just like the leftists make their religion around global warming, err, uh, climate change.

bberg009 likes this.
  2. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    Who is this Elmer Musk everyone is referring to?

bberg009 likes this.
  3. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Johannes Gutenberg

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Based on bang for the electric buck I'd chose a Chevy Volt over any Tesla or the coming E Porsche. Musk is running a great Ponzi scheme....he knows how to sell the con to investors but he has yet to return a nickel in profit to any of them. All electric cars are based on government subsidies...but the ones to invest in by buying them are the disposable toasters on 4 wheels...the Leaf, the Volt, all the relatively low end stuff. Yes the Tesla is fast. But where short of a race track is it safe to try 0-60 in 1.5 seconds? And even the best heeled among us must be grinding their teeth at the constant escalation in service and repair costs for modern cars. The smart money will buy used pre-emissions gasoline cars...Volvos, BMW, Mercedes Toyota, Jag, Alfa, any Ford or Chevy...solid basic engineering that even a nerd could work on with some tools from Sears.

For those who buy the Tesla religion, more power to you. Same with Bitcoin and Tulips and the dot com disaster. But if you can't point to a real profit, don't invest in the company nor buy their product.

jkddad likes this.
  5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you don't completely get why many like me got a Tesla. I could care less about the green stuff and I could care less that it a great city commute car, I love it because it is quicker at street speeds than anything else out there including 7-digit hyper cars.

Performance is 5x more usable in town than all Ferraris and other sports cars with 130 mph trap speeds. Most Ferrari guys don't track their cars, they drive it to the local restaurant to show it off. so philosophically what pegs the ***** meter more... sleeper 4-door sedan usable street performance faster than anything else out there or showing off your pretty Italian at the valet where you can't even use its performance in town?

mclaudio and Jaguar36 like this.
  6. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Yeah, but you will drive a car that only proctologists, accountants and legally blind people will like. You will brag about 0-20 performance, argue with all your friends that is is "just as good as a Ferrari ", be annoyed at everyone that points out that the 'car' that weighs 2 million pounds handle curbs like a blue whale, and forever irritate all your soon-to-be former friends about the benefits of a souless, flat iron that is an embarrassment that the valet parking guy will park 2 miles away from the restaurant.

My Ferrari will be up front!! :) :)

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    :D

F2003-GA and bberg009 like this.
  8. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Hi Rob,

Tha is hilarious. Here I was, thinking I was funny, and then you creamed me. That movie was awesome!!!

Mikael-F360 and rob lay like this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Rob has both, so I argue he has best of both worlds...

The only performance downsides I've been able to sincerely deduce is engine note*, and long-term tracking (i.e. Nurburgring) - Price comparable stock Teslas seem to have stock ICE's beat in the straights - and I argue that gulf will only widen, hence even Ferrari waving the white flag and going all hybrid (and according to Automotive News) - even a (gasp) all-electric car. I do believe that Tesla will pull off a roadster gen 2 that will hit 0-60 1.8 1/4 less < 9. That is a game changer. For public roads, the handling is more than adequate on the S/Roadster, they do not handle like whales.

*Current video game generation also seem to prefer the blow-drier whine of the motor, I know my kids like the Tesla sound more then ICEs.

Does this mean I love Tesla now? No - I got to try each of the first manufactured models before general public (Roadster, S, X, 3) heck even the MB-B when they were developed. They are not for me but doesn't mean they are bad cars, and Musk deserves credit for pulling off an amazing feat (politics aside)

10. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I guess its a good thing im an old guy because while I respect what Tesla has done I still prefer the roar of an ICE, think Han shot first, books are better then digital, and prefer to talk to people face to face instead of via text.

11. Ripped Fat

Ripped Fat Karting

Oct 28, 2010
    “Han shot first” bahaha! Damn right he did, he’s a smuggler!

anunakki and paulchua like this.
  12. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    if he *had* of bought bitcoins with the money from selling his ferrari then he'd of made $4.1m usd

Mikael-F360 and Jaguar36 like this.
  13. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    i dont wanna hear about bit coins.................. thats all im gonna say about that.

14. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    By your logic you shouldn't buy AMZN or use their site.

15. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    you're not alone, I had several million £'s worth of them at one point, gone forever!

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Probably hacked and stolen is my guess...without a trace of course.

17. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Tesla Roadster currently going 26,000 MPH! With unlimited range!

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    but the handling sucks, can only turn one direction same big circle.

paulchua, Caeruleus11 and JERRYZ like this.
  19. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    I be seen Telsa berlina X, this is amazing what they do today. Around 95k€ but full equipped, 300 km autonomy interior is incredibly beautiful.
    • 4 year, 50,000 mile (whichever comes first) new vehicle limited warranty
    • 8 year, unlimited mile battery and drive unit warranty
    • Battery owned by you.
    Last year sales was 13720 unit's. Number increasing always, so it s a good thing.

JERRYZ likes this.
  20. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Most of the guys who drive their Ferraris to restaurants only, don't care about acceleration or handling as much as about impressing other people.
    They achieve their goal with F car, with Tesla? Not really.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    very true, when trying to impress the skank they picked up at bar with a quick red light acceleration and some housewife kicks the Ferraris butt in a 4-door ugly sedan, the ***** may not get laid. ;)

JERRYZ and Caeruleus11 like this.
  22. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    How long will that remain the case?

Anyway, I have to applaud the OP: JerryZ. I think he did well with his move and he hitched himself to the future.

And definitely give credit to Musk. Its always easy to be a critic. But he has created.

JERRYZ likes this.
  23. Ripped Fat

Ripped Fat Karting

Oct 28, 2010

Maybe. Maybe not.

24. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    $290 level was MAJOR support, MAJOR, it broke that today after many bounces at that level over the last year. I like tesla the company but as a trader, once a major support like that breaks, its over for the meantime. It has alot of technical damage thats been done to the stock now and the algos will be selling handily and being at new 52 week lows there is now MAJOR overhead resistance and tons of sellers above. ITs gonna be tough to move back up without good news.

anunakki likes this.
  25. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

This stock if falling quicker than a tesla in ludicrous mode. So, is it a case of Buffets law "buy when everyone is selling" or get out before the avalance rolls you up in a ball and kills you.

Anyone a buyer?

I have never owned the car or the stock and don't intend to own either anytime in the future.

F2003-GA likes this.