Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA | Page 29 | FerrariChat

Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JERRYZ, Feb 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Bet the tesla get more ladies then the Ferrari any way..

JERRYZ likes this.
  2. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    TSLA stocks are crashing.

Tesla on track for worst month EVER as Elon Musk company shares plummet 25 percent

ELON Musk’s Tesla is on track for its worst month ever as the car company’s share price is down almost 25 percent this month following a string of recent problems.

Tesla stock is down 24.86 percent in March and shares have fallen 17.21 percent in the quarter.

A negative analysis from Citigroup as well as a hedge-fund manager predicting it will be bankrupt within four months have had an impact on Tesla's share price.

The news comes after two investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) reportedly went to the scene of last week's fatal Tesla Model X crash which killed 38-year-old driver Wei Huang.

Mr Huang was pulled from his vehicle but died later in Stanford Hospital.

This week Tesla is down 14.51 percent, with shares on track for their worst week since February 5, 2016.

Tesla has said the firm was assisting with investigations as a spokesman defended the company’s Autopilot technology.

Moody’s Investor Service also downgraded Tesla's credit ratings on Tuesday and changed its outlook to negative from stable, citing "significant shortfall" in the Model 3 production rate and a tight financial situation.

And the agency lowered its corporate family rating on Tesla to B3 from B2 and downgraded its rating on the company's senior notes to Caa1 from B3.

Tesla has repeatedly pushed back its target of producing 5,000 Model 3 cars a week – a goal it had hope to achieve by the end of last year.

Moody's said in a release: "Tesla's ratings reflect the significant shortfall in the production rate of the company's Model 3 electric vehicle.

"Tesla's rating could be lowered further if there are shortfalls from its updated Model 3 production targets."

Financial firm Morgan Stanley echoed Moody’s concerns as it warned that Elon Musk’s car company needs to accelerate its Model 3 production rate to accelerate its Model 3 production if Tesla wanted to raise funds to an attractive price.

Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas wrote in a note to clients on Wednesday: "A sharp drop in Tesla's share price in part reflects questions on Model 3 ramp … an event that directly impacts both the company's near-term cash needs and ability to potentially access the market for capital.

”A lower share price begets a lower share price… For a company widely expected to continue to fund its strategy through external capital raises, a fall in the share price can take on a self-fulfilling nature that further exacerbates the volatility of the share price.

"The precise timing of when Tesla can achieve a 2,500/week and then a 5,000/week production run-rate for its mass market sedan can make the difference between whether Tesla is potentially raising capital from a position of weakness at a price near our $175 bear case or whether it can access capital from a position of strength with a stock price near our $561 bull case.”

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/938679/tesla-stock-plummet-elon-musk-car-company-worst-month-moodys-citigroup-morgan-stanley

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Jennie prefers it at least. ;)

4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    a lot of people are shorting Tesla now that it broke 300, 260 etc.
    IF, and admittedly it is a big IF, Musk pulls another rabbit out of the hat, and makes some kind of announcement that the media (most often in collusion with short sellers) actually print, and the stock starts rising, it will then sweep up these shorts and force them to buy back the stock and push it back towards the highs.

that would be funny

5. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Musk has been pulling rabbits out of the hat for sometime so nothing would suprise me. Tesla has always been over leveraged and under capilalized. Where is JerryZ (OP) to put some kind of favorable spin on this news when you need him?

Igor Ound likes this.
  6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I was reading today that if tesla doesn't start filling those model 3 orders, the company could be bankrupt by the end of the year.

7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Surprised Jerryz is not coming to Tesla’s rescue right now lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  8. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Ahh not to worry 'it's fake news' of course LOL

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Just to update...

Tesla closed most recently at 266.13 (excluding after hours drop of 2.5%). $0 in dividends since inception. Up 35% since thread started.

VOO closed at 242.08 most recently. Another $2.27 in dividends since November 2017 on top of the other $14.74 so total $259.09. Up 55% since thread started.

Market still way better than playing this individual stock and again with a lot less volatility and it actually pays dividends.

galt likes this.
  10. Syntax73

Syntax73 Rookie

Mar 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Miller
    I drive both the Tesla S and X. I would consider a X for my wife but she is not a car enthusiast at all. Tesla though fast and attractive to me seem contain absolutely no soul when driving. It's also a sedan and the handling just doesn't turn me on at all.

anunakki likes this.
  11. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    Fair point. The stock specific risk on Tesla is significantly higher than other auto stocks and other single names from the broader market as seen through the inied and realized volatility.

On top of that, Incidentally, Ferrari stock up well over 100% since it's IPO in October 2015.

We could have easily have had an equally silly titled thread that said, "Sold my Tesla and bought Ferrari stock in October 2015".

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  12. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Yikes...so it appears the Model X that crashed into the median was on autopilot and the hands were off the wheel for 6 seconds per a Tesla statement released late yesterday. http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/31/technology/tesla-model-x-crash-autopilot/index.html

While autopilot could reduce overall % of crashes, how many of those would fatal? I can see autopilot preventing/reducing small fender benders, but no lives would be saved in that case anyway. But when it drives the car into a median not allowing passenger survival...there is a problem. Fender benders are way more frequent than that...

F2003-GA likes this.
  13. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Exactly

14. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Tesla has taken on way too much.They should have focused on fewer products and outsourced autonomy.
    They have no gross margins to speak of so how will they generate cash on an income basis to get out of this
    pickle o_O I'm guessing the financial people leaving is very telling.Once they have 2 or 3 quarters of model 3
    production they're gonna have to prove it's profitable - if the can't then the end is imminent :confused: just IMO :)

galt likes this.
  15. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Lol didn't they just approve the largest payout to a CEO (Musk) in the history of corporate world? Should be saving their pennies then..hehe.

16. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Ladies, maybe.
    Skanks or golddiggers?
    No way....

17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Didn't hear that one yet. Interesting if true.

18. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
  19. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Nothing but respect for Tesla and Elon but I am holding out for as long as I can before going electrical or hybrid.

20. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    How many cars do they have to sell to cover the debt they have now?

21. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Elon Musk pay package announcement is just a dog and pony show to prop up the share value - IMO

22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    F2003-GA likes this.
  23. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Today is the last day to order a Tesla and be guaranteed the full $7500 federal tax credit.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Jerry is still up on his TSLA purchase.

25. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Just went to a Porsche Experience for the Mission E. The invitations went to people who had already put a deposit down to order a car. While standing in line talking to others waiting for a ride in a Panamera Hybred Turbo S, after having heard a Mission E presentation I was surprised to hear most in line were current Tesla owners. They were planning to sell the Tesla and replace it with a Mission E.

The Porsche presenter indicated the base price would be around $85k and go up from there depending on an extensive list of options. Also indicated Porsche/VW was planning on a large infrastructure of charging stations. I believe VW has already committed to spend a huge chunk of money in the US as recompense for the "Diesel gate".

Wonder what that will do to Tesla Model S sales when the Mission E becomes available in the 4th quarter of 2019. Special orders will start in the 1st quarter of 2020. My thought is Porsche will have a much better product than Tesla at least for the higher end market. Maybe then Tesla will be able to push out the model 3 cars if GM has not put a dent in that market for Tesla?

Schatten likes this.