Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA | Page 54 | FerrariChat

Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JERRYZ, Feb 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #1326 freshmeat, Jan 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    https://www.redwoodmaterials.com/

Just one of growing many...anyone at this point still recommending ICE as a #1 commuter choice is a dinosaur on a blackberry. There’s also almost zero maintenance cost on an EV...just tires.

Bigger picture:
    Is oil not a finite resource?

JERRYZ likes this.
  2. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    If we are comparing apples to apples (cars in a specific price range that can get me from point A to B and certain mpg) , then find me a brand new $15k electric commuter car with 400+ mi range, 40+ mpg. If I was a consumer who only cared about point A to point B with a $15k budget, what are my choices? Any electric car on that list? The next closest new fully e-cars would be still in the $35-40k range if I am not mistaken...of course, it takes "gov't incentives/rebates/credits" to "help" the consumer make the electric decision...Mind you I am talking about regular working class consumers, not folks like you and me on this Ferrari forum with an 8 car garage, and more than a car for every day of the week.

Maintenance cost was always part of the equation when someone is paying $20k up front for a more expensive car that does the same thing. How much maintenance can I do for a $15k Cruz with $20k, I can probably maintain that vehicle until it reaches 1 million miles or more! Dollars and cents discussions, this is not a dinosaur choice. Tesla is for more affluent folks, always has been...you should probably go to a regular car forum where the more real world people are (i.e. for mustangs, toyotas, etc) and maybe you can see why electric cars are still not for the masses yet.

It is laughable to me to think a $35k+ car as a commuter car for the avg person, just like how ridiculous I sound when I tell folks my Porsche or Maserati or V12 Merc or Corvette or my other Maserati is my DD or commuter car.

We can discuss the environmental impact on another thread...although the pictures of piles of cars/batteries/ecu boards on your "redwoodmaterials" website applies to Tesla as much as any other car brand. You don't think "old" Teslas put out to pasture will not yield the same fate as unwanted ICE cars?

3. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    I'm sorry but S class is gas. Fail. In a few years No one will want a gas powered car other than the very low cost market BTW Tesla is quicker, safer, cheaper and WAY less maintenance. BUT I'll give you the S class is more luxurious. Have you used Tesla's autopilot? Way ahead of any other car maker. That, to me, is technology.

4. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Sorry but wrong. And BTW, who's ever heard of a Mustang SUV crossover????????????

5. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    What a great story! Well played sir. IMHO Roadster 2 comes out by year end but time will tell.

6. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    I agree that cars from Freemont factory are not as well built as they should be but I have had 3 Tesla's and they were WAY less maintenance than any gas car I've ever owned. The Shanghai factory is building better quality cars. BTW, Tesla has better profit margins than any other carmaker in existence. The big boys aren't competing because their business model won't allow them to.

7. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Well said! Thank you for saving me the time to express what you just did so well.

8. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Then why has the Model S outsold the S class for years? Even in Europe?

9. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Cheaper lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2007
    Milano - Italia
    Full Name:
    Cardinal
    Maybe in the US but I don't think that's the case in most of Europe, at least in Norway the model S is more expensive than a similar specced Mercedes S class. And you definitely see more Tesla's on the road there than Mercedes S class.

11. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Congrats on you your stock and this is one of my fav threads so thank you for that to.

What do you think the profit is on a Tesla? Let's compare it to an S model Tesla and then the Mercedes S class? Fair enough?

JERRYZ likes this.
  12. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    In Cali it's all house wifes who have no clue, they think they are doing the right thing but in reality, the mining and industrial waste is far worse for our environment than a gas car for 200k miles.

It's a feel-good purchase

But I do hope all the bad environmental mining pollution will get sorted out

Bas and FerrariFinally like this.
  13. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
  14. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I was wondering today who buys TSLA at a P/E ratio of 1,689?

I'm all for letting profits run (as you should), so I pulled up some data and the majority was millennials buying the stock in 1/10 or 1/4 or 1/2 shares on Robinhood, crazy??? or not?

Bas and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  15. Natkingcolebasket69

Not in France, just got back from 3 weeks home. Mercedes still reigns supreme

16. Natkingcolebasket69

I agree seems pretty overvalued but I have no doubt it reaches 1k/5k pre split

JERRYZ likes this.
  17. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I think the better question to ask is if you think TSLA is so overvalued, what other EV company comes close to its current footprint+scale that would be worth your investment? I personally am not aware of any...and the gap still continues to widen, OEMs are still scrambling to catch up....

Just coz dog poop is cheaper than gold, doesn’t make it better valued...

And @ChipG millenials aren’t buying TSLA, they have been buying NIO & NKLA...those were the most popular Robinhood EV stocks last year.

18. Natkingcolebasket69

I think the gap is narrowing. Big companies are starting to come up with their own EV so the gap is certainly not widening right now at least. The interior of the x and s is based on 2012 models.
    I love Tesla and had some shares but every bubble bust at some point

19. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #1344 freshmeat, Jan 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Narrowing? Based on?

I do not see any other company that has so much vertical integration...from manufacturing to charging to even solar and storage.
    I do not see any other company selling EVs at a profit.
    I do not see any other company leading the charge on autonomy...closest is Waymo by Google.
    I do not see any other company selling 500,000 EVs last year.

And this has only been the beginning of Tesla...wait till all those gigafactories come online...and the new battery production comes online....oems still stuck in 300mi range lol, that’s so 2014.

Talking about interior lol...man, if that’s your root argument, you’re missing the point big time...but yes, the interiors on Teslas is pretty low brow and needs not just a refresh, but a revamp.

JERRYZ and dodici like this.
  20. Natkingcolebasket69

I’m not talking interior here. I’m talking about competition catching up.
    8 years ago u didn’t have the fords, bmw, Mercedes heck even hummer coming up with product.
    Tesla is still in the solid lead but clearly competition is coming up from all angles including NIO.
    We shall see but personally I’m out of Tesla shares at this point.

21. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Back when Robinhood allowed its API for sites like Robintrack late last year, TSLA was still pretty popular among that group. I don't think things have changed.

ChipG and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  22. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    NIO is still the more popular EV trade vs tsla on Robinhood:
    https://robinhood.com/collections/100-most-popular

DOWORKFCAR likes this.
  23. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    How do you see it ranked/sorted by most popular? I just see a list of top 100 without ability to sort by that. Robintrack had that ability based on number of users holding the stock and the actual number of new users buying that day. All I see there is % that analysts rate it as a buy, but not actual buying of Robinhood users.

24. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D
    saw a Tesla and parked next to him- you think he will be mad w 8MPG and 12 cylinders given his license plate? -lol.

I was always mentally short Tesla and bought a bunch of race stock at its low years ago. Prob done even better if I bought Tesla. Oh well.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bas, Dr. K and bernieb like this.
  25. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA