Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA | Page 63 | FerrariChat

Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JERRYZ, Feb 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I have a bunch of friends that broker Rimac shares on the secondary market. If you're serious, happy to connect you to them - simply PM me.

Or one can buy VOW, 601311, or HYMTF for whatever future diluted slice that comes out too.

Cheers

2. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    What are the capital requirements?

3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I have no idea, I haven't even seen the cap table.

4. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    I’ll respond for clarity’s sake by inverting your Shapiro equation: My feelings don’t care about your facts.

Selecting narrowly defined, one-dimensional metrics whereby one particular model of one particular manufacturer at one particular point in time under one particular set of circumstances “wins” and then generalizing across the domain of automotive design is subjective.

Why not look at, for example, a rolling 102.1 mph start to 182.9 mph finish to see which is faster? Why not look at total cruising range from fully topped off to totally empty across varied terrains and climates? Both are performance metrics that are simple, true/false math.

There are countless others. What about top speed? Objectively, the Dodge Challenger Demon is a faster production car with a documented top speed of 211 mph versus the Tesla Model S Plaid’s 200 mph. (Ferrari already reached 200 mph in a production ICE car way back in the 1980s, it should be noted.)

In addition, objectively, the performance-to-price ratio is superior in the Dodge Challenger Demon, given that it costs $84,995 whereas a Tesla Model S Plaid costs $123,990. For an extra $38,995, which represents a substantial 45% increase in cost, the Tesla is a much slower car, based on top speed.

So, to recap, the latest and greatest from the king of production performance EVs — Tesla — is slower than a Dodge, at a 45% price penalty, and with a top speed on par with an oil guzzling Ferrari from 30+ years ago?

This all doesn’t sound like progress, objectively speaking … but of course, I subjectively picked objective data points to make an ultimately subjective point disguised as an objective one.

Do your feelings care about my facts?

paulchua likes this.
  5. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    EV technology is by no means new. It took massive and coordinated government financial and regulatory intervention to ordain it as the future. I'll leave it to your imagination as to why that is exactly. When lawmakers took the tax credit away in Georgia a few years ago, EV sales fell off a cliff, where previously under the tax credit it was at one point THE top state for EV sales.

Mickyd329 likes this.
  6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Ok..first let's put things back into the real world. Nobody in any type of car is going is going to be racing from start speeds that are already twice the national speed limit. At least consistantly enough to matter.

Second...Top speed is for bragging rights. Not too many supercar owners have even come close to hitting top speed for any length of time to even matter. (Of course some have on tracks or air strips..but definatly not a daily occurance).

Street racing is indeed stop light to stop light. Torque is what you need..and an electric car has plenty of it from zero.

Third... The majority of peoples commute to work is within 100 miles. People are not taking cross country trips everyday in either a gas or electric car. If you have an electric car you plan your route accordingly. I know people who have driven across Canada in thier Teslas and didnt have any issues finding places to charge it. The are marked in the GPS maps. That said.. I would personally take a gas car on a longer journey.. only because it is currently easier and faster to pump a tank of fuel then recharge.

Electric cars are evolving very quickly.. soon enough it will be the only vehical you will be able to operate in densely populated areas.

7. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I have to again say, why compare so called electric exotic cars to real sports cars , in any venue. You can package them any way you want, they are boring . Go on You Tube and look at the Bespoke 308 that Moto Technique built, are you kidding me !! , this car is so sick, and beautifully built, the craftsmanship on this restomode is insane, if you want to drive a car that is all about the drive, this is the car, and it will put any electric car to shame in the pure driving department. I could care less how fast and how much torque a slot car has, take a look at this you tube video, this car is the epitome of Ferrari and the epitome of what a real driving machine is all about, I can only hope to be able to afford to have them build me the same exact car !!

Thank you

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Go for the drive in your friends Tesla. Until you have experianced the torque of an electric car first hand..you can only make assumptions. Once you experiance it..I will guarantee you will be surprised.

Boomhauer and Dom like this.
  9. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    You should do your research. The most recent comments from Elon is that both new factories will be the 1st to begin 4680 production and both are on track to begin operations by year end.

10. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    ok, Einstein, we'll see. :rolleyes:

Bas and Nospinzone like this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #1561 paulchua, Jun 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    Yes, I agree the Dodge Challenger is faster than many cars, Ferrari included. However, your challenge reaffirms my point that numbers matter. The mere fact we're talking about the Demon is self-evidential, yes?

The debate is not with me, one now has to convince oneself on irrelevancy of metrics (with 1-foot rollout or not.)

After all, I agree with the contention that specs matter, albeit strangely inconsistent in this conversation.

My disagreement is not a personal one - purely academic. Who am I to judge those that believe Ferrari's newest cars should have less horsepower and be slower than predecessors and competitors?

As Micheal Hugo Leiters (Chief Engineer Ferrari) put it, my position is "obvious." I understand to many, not so much. Also, please do not take Elkann's position too personal, after all, many people hated Enzo throughout his life. Just because Pierro says Enzo would have agreed with me, don't take it so hard.

Cheers.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Respectfully, you still seem a step away from understanding my academic point. What is “better” or constitutes “progress” is not determinable with pure objectivity. Only what “is” can be determined objectively. For example, the speed of light in a vacuum “is” 186,282 miles per second, objectively speaking. Neither your nor I can refute that universal fact. We have both, with particularism, shown that a Dodge Challenger Demon is “better” than a Tesla Model S Plaid and vice versa, using carefully selected objective metrics. This is an exercise in subjectivity. We could do the same with the EV vs ICE debate, and so on and so forth.

“Reason is, and ought only to be, slave to the passions.”
    -David Hume

13. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    paulchua and JERRYZ like this.
  14. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I will buy this over a Tesla
    1-I’m a Merc fan for my daily
    2-build quality is better
    3-if u put aside the auto pilot and Netflix I think the Mercedes have more safety features, better back up camera, better gps, their Siri stuff is great , u even adjust the mirror with ur eyes now…

Don’t get me wrong they are not perfect, they are not as fast but I think Merc and litteraly all big car makers are coming now and unless Tesla’s keep getting cheaper & ramp up their production this is going to be interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Natkingcolebasket69

Great results today for the TSLA stock

16. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Mousenut profit on big revenue (even with other people's free money) -- the usual Tesla result (and the drooping share price reflects it) ;)

What always amazes me is the big kick up that Tesla's share price gets when it announces a vaporware product, and the little impact of when reality sets in (e.g., semi, cybertruck, robotaxi, etc.).

17. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    worldwide chip shortage could be a monkey wrench in growth. not something that gets fixed near term. (yes, I read they are using alternate chips, which should help)

18. Natkingcolebasket69

All down today
    I don’t own any stock anymore so no skin I’m the game here;)

19. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Interior looks really nice, but the outside is really ugly. They dropped the ball on that one considering they have a history of making decent looking cars (AMG particularly). Maybe they will release an AMG version that can do a 9 second 1/4 mile like the Plaid Tesla.

20. Natkingcolebasket69

I agree it’s not pretty but for a daily the inside is nice.
    I don’t know why ppl love Tesla tech so much.
    I mean Merc mbux is amazing, screens are great, car massages u, u don’t need to touch the mirror to adjust them, the car have rear wheel steering etc… sure tesla some stuff better but I think that EQS can be the beginning of great things for Merc in their EV line.

21. Natkingcolebasket69

I guess JERRYZ is now laughing at everyone and richest man on fchat;)

JERRYZ and paulchua like this.
  22. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    My congrats to anyone brave enough to hold this stock today. Holy crap!

JERRYZ, ChipG, randkin and 3 others like this.
  23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    What makes me laugh even more is the naysayers are sooooo quiet.....

Or they keep on saying, well tomorrow, next year, next decade....

ROFL

Like the fact that somebody *MAY* blow all their lottery winnings in the future somehow changes that they won the lottery TODAY, furthermore - same folks are the ones that said the numbers they choose are WRONG.

JERRYZ and Gh21631 like this.
  24. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Well I didn't buy bid coin either so I guess I am doubly stupid!

ChipG and paulchua like this.
  25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    hahahaha, I'm super stupid for not buying bitcoin too!