Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA | Page 65 | FerrariChat

Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JERRYZ, Feb 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    My first TSLA purchase came immediately after my first Tesla test drive in October 2012. $31/sh (pre-split). Over the next few months I bought more at $33 and then more at $35. At that point I had 3,000 shares with an average basis of $33. Pre-split. Over the years following I rode the ups and downs. I bought a lot of calls and lost over $500k in worthless options expirations over the years as I was betting for Tesla to skyrocket and as we all know it capitulated for over 5 years. All along I was looking for more money to buy more TSLA. So, I sold my vacation home and eventually my Ferrari 430 Spyder to purchase more TSLA. And when I left Wells Fargo and went independent as a financial advisor a few years ago I was finally able to move my entire 401k savings into TSLA. And Elon took care of the rest :)

Ryan S., LARRYH, Caeruleus11 and 4 others like this.
  2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that's a great story, I love it!

JERRYZ likes this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Happy for all the TSLA longs, but if it were my money, I’d pull a Steve Miller band :)

ChipG likes this.
  4. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    RIGHT!

paulchua likes this.
  5. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Tesla To Raise FSD (Full Self Driving) Package Price To $12,000
    https://insideevs.com/news/559453/tesla-fsd-price-increase-12000usd/

I'm an Elon Musk fan (SpaceX mostly) BUT, this seems ridiculous :eek: . Raising the price on something that by all measures/tests is unreliable and wonky is crazy. :confused:
    AND is non-transferable!? subscription stays with the car, not the driver? So, pay $12k, sell the car in a year, too bad/so sad. :(
    (please correct me if I'm wrong)

6. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Didn't know it cost extra. Buyers would probably still click the box since most out there would think its the biggest reason to buy one.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Video no worky ("no longer exists, or...")?

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    need Facebook

just a kid doing nice donuts for fun.

10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Then I guess I won't see it.

11. Octonion

Octonion Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2020
    USA
    JTSE30 likes this.
  12. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
  13. Octonion

Octonion Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2020
    USA
    BJK and JTSE30 like this.
  14. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    TSLA is up what 2000% since the first post on this thread? They also went from a company making just 30k vehicles from one half empty factory to over a million vehicles a year with 3 factories running full tilt and 2 more almost online.

Nikola was a scam, but I bet at least 1 if not two or more of those other companies are similarly successful. And I bet a close look would make it obvious which ones those are likely to be.

chekraze likes this.
  15. Octonion

Octonion Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2020
    USA
    If you look back at history, there were over 1500 auto manufacturers that came into existence and went bust. 120 of them existed at the same time around 1914. Something similar will happen with EVs. It's hard to be doing homework on all the EV companies. I would buy an ETF that tracks EV and the disruption around that space. Unless, you are good at picking individual winners consistently.

http://www.asymco.com/2015/02/23/the-entrants-guide-to-the-automobile-industry/
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Octonion you have obviously hijacked a thread about investing in Tesla and contorted it into investing in all EV's. You can excuse away my investment decisions as luck and blind faith but considering Tesla is the only stock I have ever taken a big position in you are obviously mistaken. My investment in Tesla was an investment into Elon. Please don't confuse other EV companies with Tesla. You are only embarrassing yourself.

I am writing this from my new beachfront home and thanking Elon. I was fortunate enough to pay attention to his early successes which led to my trusting him with my money in Tesla.

paulchua, Scott98, 020147 and 2 others like this.
  17. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Battery died ....

18. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    I commend your savvy in Tesla. You bought in at a pretty damn good time too! To my end buying in at what proved to be advantageous would have also made it hard to understand the valuations of the company, obviously those willing to take the risk did well.

I have toyed with buying in to Space X. Again, it is hard to define a valuation but being the only game in town with US .gov contracts to deliver payloads to space is very compelling to me. Big congrats on your success!

JERRYZ likes this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Is Elon a jerk? (yes, as well Jobs, Gates, Rockefeller, Astor, and a list as long as their egos)

What I don't understand though is how/why folks don't give credit due? Like nobody today says Buffet or Bezos are frauds, yet Musk gets it all the time.

To point this simple fact out makes me a "cult of Musk" member.
    1. Zip2
    2. PayPal
    3. SpaceX
    4. Boring
    5. Tesla
    6. SolarCity
    7. StarLink
    The irrational exuberance's twin sister is personal hatred.

With the exception of Solar City (time will tell, it's certainly not 'fake'), all the other companies are billion-dollar successes. Hell, even Musk's investment in stupid things like Dodgecoin made jokers ahead.

I'm not asked to like the man, I'm simply asked to objectively rate his businesses. Two very different things.

JERRYZ likes this.
  20. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks for the kind words. I also could not justify the valuation on a metrics or fundamentals basis. You cannot apply traditional stock valuations to a hyper-growth stock which is what Tesla was and still is. It's the same comparison with Amazon and Walmart. How come no one griped about Amazon's lack of earnings while trying to compare their P/E to Walmart? Because those two companies have and will continue to grow at vastly differing rates.

Good luck getting some SpaceX stock. It is privately held. There is a fund based in NY that allows transactions in SpaceX once a year. They take 20% of the profits as the cost of gaining access to invest in a privately held stock.

020147 likes this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #1621 paulchua, Mar 31, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    Toyota files patent for Stick Shift in electric cars
    Hyundai files patent for 'vibration' mode in electric cars
    EV cars can sound like anything you want and be as loud (or quiet) as you choose.
    Feel free to choose "exhaust gas" as the fragrance you want in your atomizer

Like MP3 vs vinyl, 99% of the folks won't be able to tell the difference between what's 'digital' and what's 'analog' in a double-blind test.

Introducing Scuderia Ferrari Velas Esports 2022 Team

Just remember, I'm not arguing regular Coke should be banned....

Just saying it doesn't surprise me most folks buy Coke Zero nowadays...

Attached Files:

JERRYZ likes this.
  22. Octonion

Octonion Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2020
    USA
    A friend of mine gave me access to StarLink pre-IPO shares. I was on vacation and could not complete the paper work on time. Still kicking myself over that!

23. Octonion

Octonion Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2020
    USA
    From IBD (For those not familiar with technical analysis, a cup with a handle is a very bullish pattern)

Tesla Deliveries Strong

Tesla (TSLA) on Saturday reported Q1 global deliveries of 310,048, just topping Q4's record of 308,600. Analysts had expected deliveries of 309,000. That includes 295,324 Model 3 and Model Y vehicles and 14,218 Model S and X vehicles.

Tesla produced 305,407 vehicles in Q1 vs. 305,840 in Q4. The Tesla Berlin factory has just begun deliveries, while the Shanghai plant has been closed for several days amid China Covid restrictions, and looks like it'll remain shut for at least a few more days.

Tesla stock continued to run up last week toward the 1208.10 cup-base buy point or a trendline entry around 1,145, but might be starting work on a handle.

24. Octonion

Octonion Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2020
    USA
    Just wanted to follow up on this thread as TSLA is beaten down and lost 50% in the last year. Right now, it is underperforming the market. Turns out the cup-handle back in April 2022 was not really a bullish sign. I hope your stop orders were in place.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. chekraze

chekraze Rookie

Feb 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Prashant Jyothi
    It’s making lower highs. And macro wise I feel like I see my Tesla and every other intersection. And they leave lot of $$ on the table not offering people cosmetic options that they’d gladly pay for. At least offer up silver paint .