Just started skateboarding again | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Just started skateboarding again

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by WILLIAM H, Sep 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Awesome Rob. Can you still do a lot of tricks?

I use to jump ramps around the neighborhood as a kid. There were a few kids that built small tracks on empty lots around the neighborhood. They had everything from table tops, whoops, to high bank turns. One even had a drop in they dug in the ground, probably 5-6 feet deep. You would drop in, and have basically an 85 degree wall on the other side you came out of and you had to perfect the landing coming out on your rear wheel or you'd wreck.

Damn, those were probably some of the funnest times I had growing up.

2. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    It's my homemade one and only. Blank Moose deck, Ebay stickers, and clear Krylon. It is the same one I posted a picture of a while back.

3. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    #28 Andy348, Sep 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    On the subject of skateboards on a Ferrari forum (and Mule for some inspiration), I present to you, a $15 longboard with a Ferrari paint job!

I don't have any good pics of it with the wheels on, but I used the red paint from my room, which I tried to get close to Ferrari red, and spray painted the rest. Looks half decent for an hour job!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I never did any major ramps, younger we would jump, and then when I freestyled we had wedges just to extend on some of the ground tricks. I did it serious 7-8th grade and was OK, but no major tricks. 8th grade yearbook has pic of me doing a can-can lawnmower with my out foot towards the camera. I need to try another bike, the new Haro I have is just terrible, front brakes don’t even hold to go up into an endo, which many tricks start with. I miss it though, very zen and relaxing being smooth flowing through tricks.

Last year there was a car show and warbird fly-in and there was a really good freestyler that did demonstrations and he was my exact age, he just stuck with it since. Flatland just isn't as popular anymore with the ramps and skate parks, back then we didn't have that unless you built a 1/4 or 1/2 pipe.

5. Waldoonay

Waldoonay Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2007
    Ottawa/Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Walid Z
    On the subject of skateboarding, Andy, I've really wanted to try out longboarding. I never got huge into skating but longboarding seems totally different. How do you like it?

6. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Get a DK Fury! Best bike ever!

7. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Its truly great. Myself, I've been a big mountain biker along with some street biking and I can't skateboard for my life. The longboard was a different story. Most (not my $15 one!) are made of bamboo which really helps for speed and the wheels are truly phenominal! They never stop spinning! My brother, on his $230 longboard goes faster down hills than I do on my bike.

Its not a skateboard that you can do tricks on.. I've seen people snap them in half trying various tricks. If you're really into getting to and from places without the clunkiness of a bike or rollerblades, maybe even that loud skate board, the longboard is the way to go.

Oh yeah, and me on longboards... Two gashes on my back say I won't be riding one of those for awhile ;)

If you've ever seen "Lords of Dogtown" you'll know what I'm talking about.

8. Waldoonay

Waldoonay Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2007
    Ottawa/Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Walid Z
    Yes lol I've seen that movie. how good do they do in slight uphill situations? I would be using it for mainly going from my car to classes around campus (~10 minute walk).

9. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I always wondered how people did endo's on bikes. I figured it involved systematically braking and popping up the rear wheel, but I could never figure it out. The best I could do was a short wheelie and bunny hops. And some mini can-can's going over the table top.

I had a really heavy Schwinn that was my first real bike. It didn't have the free sprocket in the back so it had brakes. I hated that. GT's were the "it" bike at this time. I went to the bike shop to look at getting a new bike, although my mom was gripping that I didn't need one. I ended up buying a used Schwinn sitting in the corner for $90(maybe cheaper). It was extremely light and all chrome, no stickers. I really liked it. It even had blue chromatic wheels.

Still think I'm really lucky I never bashed my head open. I don't remember a time I ever wrecked. A friend of mine wasn't so lucky and broke his collar bone.

10. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    #35 MobileJay, Sep 24, 2008
    I bought a longboard the other month and I have to say.... I love this thing. It is like a lazy mans skateboard. It has single kingpin trucks so it doesn't carve as much as a double for slalom but damn this thing is still fun. 70mm wheels so sidewalk cracks dont bother you as much. I can go down stairs, curbs, driveways with out any problems. I'm going to go to Austin sooner or later with this thing to get some downhill action......with pads though.
    There are tricks you can do with this but its not like a regular board. There is sliding thats really big with these things, I don't have the balls to do that yet. Plus you have to have special gloves to do it with. It is made of bamboo so it will take a lot more than I can throw at it. It will flex in the middle of the board so it feels like suspension over some parts I ride. If you want to get into it to cruise or for excersice, you should get one of these. It is a Sector9 board called the Uluwatu( in the bamboo series)

11. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    J, that's an awesome photo!

12. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Going to the Naples FL cement skatepark next week, cant wait :)

13. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    William, best of luck to you but unless you have decades of experience it's a young persons sport. I tried to get back into BMX racing before I was 30 & had some nasty accidents, some still have not healed well. A visit to a Emergency Room is a trip I don't wish on anyone.

14. menoy

menoy F1 Rookie

Mar 12, 2005
    PL
    Full Name:
    MRodziewicz
  15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Just a balance thing, very much like leaning back on hind legs of chair. Need crisp brakes so the wheel doesn't slip forward, throw arms and upper body forward, and find that balance point not to go past or you flip over unless you release the brakes quick enough.

16. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    #41 TG, Sep 25, 2008
  17. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Hey, I had the same socks!

18. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    Had? You know you still wear those. LOL

19. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    How'd you know? I've never worn them to any meets. :)

20. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    BMXers on here???

21. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    #46 agup48, Sep 26, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
    I have a $80.00 bike from Walmart, its broken. Can you say money pit? Someone stole the pedals and tried to take my chain, I dunno why, but I laughed when I saw it. I would've let them have the bike. I want to get into it, but I don't know how to do those cool tricks, but I hop crubs all the time.(Well one wheel goes over) :D Bike withheld the accident \/, and it weighs sooo much.

I had a ****ty accident last year too on campus, I was riding, and this person just stops in my way, nowhere for me to go, I was like damn it, hit the brakes, and said sorry to the guy before I even hit him, hit his shoulder, went flying off. I think I flipped, happened so fast. My knee got all scratched up. But the thing that kills me, the guy didn't help me up, someone else did, and was very nice. I had a Coke Vanilla in my backpack, that thing shot so far out. All the taste was gone. It was during Barack Obama's trip here, and secret service had everything closed off, so I was screwed and had to reroute my route all the way around campus, it sucked. :( I've seen so many accidents on campus, not fun, lots of skateboarders that won't stop fast enough either.

It's this bike, horrible even though reviews are good (more like eh.). I never bought a bike from WalMart before, but needed a cheap bike, and fast.
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5402820

22. pitbullforte

pitbullforte Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2006
    Oporto
    i skated for 10 years, stopped in 2000, still don´t know why.
    I bought a new skateboard last june but still haven´t ride it.

23. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    my bad, I don't think it was "secret service" probably his bodyguards, no idea. :D :D

I wish I could skate, I had a longboard, except it was short, I don't know anything about skateboards :D, If I had balance I probably could do it.

24. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #49 RossoCorsaItaly, Oct 1, 2008
    I skate when I'm bored. It's a ton of fun but I'm not that good. I can ollie, fs 180, bs 180, kickflip, varial kickflip, pop shove it, and big spin.

I've been doing it on and off for about 10 years. I bust my ass alot but haven't had any serious injuries. I usually have a 1 hour session on my board once every two weeks.

I do take my Ferrari to the skatepark though!

25. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Hit the park today w the new carbon fiber board, it looks sick all in black w matte black trucks & black wheels

I didnt skate a whole lot bcus we found out it was a school day off so it was full of kids but I ran the bowk 3 or 4 times

I wore my armor before I hit the bowl & all the kids were staring at me but I barely felt it when I went down once so who cares

Gonna hit the park again Mon at 3, hopefully it will be a lot emptier then