Just thinking, 308 vs. 996 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Just thinking, 308 vs. 996

Discussion in '308/328' started by PerryJ, Mar 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    Instead of a 996 I would go for a new Boxster... I dunno if it's out of the price range (I haven't read the thread sorry :p)

2. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    Keep the Ferrari. I am keeping mine and on the lookout for a 996TT . There's no harm in having a Porsche. It is an excellent sportscar after all BUT a Ferrari is a must have ...JMO

3. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    which year boxster and what model did you drive? the new boxster s has been described as one of the best handling cars in the world with the quickest steering around...in fact i enjoyed driving it better than the new 997s, which was also a great car..both were much better than my old 996 and 993 porsches in everyway...a sebring? a z3?

4. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Keeping with my love of unloved cars, take a look at the 964 too if you like the narrow bodies. 107k miles and its still strong. And you can find a nice one for ~$20k.

5. de993

de993 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I had a 99 Boxster, currently have a 1996 993 and just bought a 308.

The Boxster is a great car well balanced, well behaved, but lacking power unless you go with the S. Stay away from pre 99's they had multiple issues.

The 993 is a great all around car, very reliable, a little harder to handle than the Boxster, but fun with plenty of power.

I have never driven a 996, but was warned by several mechanics to stay away from the 1999's.

I love my 993 and would not trade it for anything, but it dosen't hold a candle to the 308 when it comes to looks and the smile the 308 puts on my face when I hear the engine.

6. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul

Couldn't agree more. I have an "82 SC and find myself wanting to update to a later 92 and 93 964. They are solid cars and make good daily drivers. They had coil springs instead of the torsion bar suspension, power-steering and more effective A/C, better instrumentation lighting, etc. Better daily driver than the SCs and Carreras, but still had the classic bug-eye look of the 911. If I had to do a 993, it would be a 95 as they did not have the OBD-2 issues as the 96-98s have. 996s have the rms issue, although I've been told if a 996 has more than 40K miles and it hasn't leaked, it never will. If I had to have a 996, it would be a later one and only have a Porsche CPO as they can get expensive if you have no warranty and the RMS issue arises. Ferrari 308/328 is the prettiest car ever made in MHO and my "must have" car is the 288 GTO.

7. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    she's in ferrariads so will see what happens, I won't give her away, though.

If anyone knows a good Pcar for sale let me know ;)

8. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth

Let us know what happen after you sell your 308... Will you miss it? Will it be worth the Porsche??? I am sure many of us would love to hear from you experience....

9. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    #59 senna21, Mar 29, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My .02:

Keep the Ferrari.

If you must get something else, get the 993.

If you want 2 cars get the BMW for your wife and skip the Boxter and get an MR2 Turbo. It's faster, cheeper and more reliable even with 100,000+ miles on the odomiter. Then take the 10K you saved by buying it over the Boxter (which is decreasing in value) and apply it to your new Ferrari.

Also MR2 Turbos are increasing in value at the moment. It's getting very hard to find a good 93 or later for under 8K. You could sell it for the same money you bought it for in 2 years if not for more. You won't be able to do that with the Boxter.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth

11. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    I drove the ferrari 200 miles today with no top in 72 degree sunshine, I think I'm keeping it ;)

12. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    But you can't buy beer with no shirt on.

Ken

13. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    obviously you've never been to Alabama :D

14. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth

15. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    There ya go!

16. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth

Alright.....

17. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
  18. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    You too, eh? :)

19. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    Mike you gonna have to show my some of the roads you drive :)

20. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Feelin' like a fool... (hit of the 70's on AM radio)

If you haven't already, pull the Ad.

You're keeping or selling like a strobe light right now.

Keep the 308. At least for a few years until you get the 355 of your heart's true desire. Otherwise, you will chalk the sale (as in *poof* gone) up to the ol' lifetime-of-regrets category and will lose sleep.

In the meantime, Get her the BMW she desires.

Otherwise, you will chalk the look up to the ol' lifetime-of-regrets category and will lose sleep.

The Porsche and the funds to complete the hat-trick will happen in unforced time.
    ______

A little secret monkey wrench to throw into the whole mess:
    A 2.0 - 2.2 911S Targa or Coupe of late 60's and early 70's is indeed an "A." Collectable and driveable. FWIW - TSpringer has one, and he loves it. Since he's one of many, many, many F-Chatters who offer sage advice on a regular basis, that says a lot in my book. Regardless, should you decide to do some track time too, they're HSR or SVRA vintage racing eligible, to boot. Values aren't on their way down. Buy, have, hold, "upgrade" later to something you feel is an update, though it won't be an "A" - just as you're planning to do with the 308-355 transition.

21. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    The ad is already pulled, I'm gonna keep the cavallino !!!!

I'll probably get the wife a boxster as a daily later on, and keep the 308. It's just too much FUN !
    Besides isn't everyone's blood "really" RED ;)

22. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    It looks like Saturday is going to be nice weather... let's do it!!

23. vinnycar

vinnycar Karting

Mar 7, 2004
    New Canaan, CT
    Full Name:
    Vincent Cardone

Still, everything you say about needing a daily drive is still true. I realized this after swapping a 2001 996 C4Cab Tip for a 94 F-348 Spider a year ago, mu first F-car. I love this car but also quickly realized the limitations of use of the F-car as you noted and while I may never give it up (or at least until 360s depreciate a lot) I yearned for a daily sports car experience and so searched for and found a nice clean 01 996 C4 coupe stick at a dealer in Delaware (C4 for the snow up hear). 99-02 996s are in a great sweet value spot right now and dealers will sell them "certified" so you are protected up to 100,000 miles (and two additional years after the original 4-year warranty runs out) against the engine failure and RMS problems noted frequently and greatly overblown. The 996 is a fast, responsive,dependable and user friendly sports car and while it shares some body panels with the Boxter, the 996's internal components are a definite step up in quality over that of the Boxter. As for the "air-cooled" afficinados, I see the universally acclaimed 997 needs the antifreeze as well!. I would keep my options open.

24. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    I would love to keep the 308 and add a 996 for daily but I can't swing that much money right now. And besides If I was gonna have 70k+ tied up in two sports cars I would have a 355 !

ps Mike,
    this sat is full for me, until after lunch anyway (same deal sunday too)

Are they mostly two lanes, and would I be able to keep up with you ? ;)

25. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    They are indeed mostly 2-lane back country roads. I often go in the early mornings before there's traffic and before kids and pets are out and about; it will be a little slower if we go in the afternoon, so you should have no trouble keeping up with me, especially since we've got essentially identical cars.

When we go to our next track event, though, I might be a bit faster than you! ;)