Just thinking, 308 vs. 996 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Just thinking, 308 vs. 996

Discussion in '308/328' started by PerryJ, Mar 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    The older ones are much simpler than any Ferrari. My Europa is reliable once you get it sorted, and easy to work on. The Stromberg carbs are no fun and go out of tune quickly but they're easy to adjust compared to a Weber. It has a timing chain so no issues there. It's a fun go cart that's also appriciating in value, but a pristine example, if you can find one, is still way less than a beater 308.

Ken

2. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini

The car I'm looking at (I have really already made up my mind) the guy also has a race Europa that he is keeping. I was amazed at how low those cars are.

3. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Yup. My TC is 42 1/2" high; the S2's are about an inch lower.

Ken

4. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    That must be a workout to get in and out of

5. tamf328

tamf328 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    One word.... "Porsche"

6. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Actually not. To get in you put the right leg in and sit. Then pull in the left. Getting out you put your left hand on the back of the door sill and use it for leverage. It's easy once you know how!

Ken

7. Snapper323

Snapper323 Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2005
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    L. Lee
    Folks, when I signed onboard a few days back with this group, I thought the entire purpose was to assist one another with their F-car problems/ideas. I don't own one, I desire to oneday soon. Possibly by this summer. I have seen numerous models that appeal to me, plus I have attended 2 Formula 1 races in Europe. Saw many horses there! I maybe a bit more fortunate tham some in here, because I am single/never been married. Don't have a wife to say "it goes or I go" so I might be at an advantage. I look to owners who can steer me in the right direction. Let's not be so judgemental on one another in here. If you went to any F1 team no matter who they are and you told them that you could sell them a brake pad that is far more cheaper, and much more durable than their current pads, the majority of the teams would listen to you and a few of them would possible
    give it a once over and a test. We are all trying to save a buck! It is the evolution of mankind! Thank you

8. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    10K for an excelent MR2 Turbo and put 25K in the bank. :)

9. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    #109 L8Braker, Apr 5, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    well here is what I did........I've had a 996 before and I actually enjoy this car more. Much better handling, decent power, 2-trunks, and best of all convertible!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    great thought, but the chances of an independant company going against the big boys successfully are slim and none...see Delorean....

11. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    but deloreans were doomed from the beginning, the car was close to a tank in weight, with no power, rusted when someone touched it and was built shoddy ;)

12. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    I'm leaning 02-03 vette or 02-3 boxster. I let you all know what I decide, I like buying driving, selling cars almost as much as owning one, after eah car I buy I start thinking about the next one, no matter what's in the garage.

There are way to many great cars out there to own just one for too long ;)

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I got to use a 996 for a week early last month. It's like a Honda compared to my 308. Easy to shift and drive. It was something I would not hesitate to jump into to run down to the corner for a paper. I would never even consider doing that in a cold 308 and NO one here loves a 308 more then me. It's just a sad fact.

14. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    thanks Dr Tommy,

I just jump in and run all sorts off errands in my car, I let warm up for three minutes then keep rpms below 3000 unil the temps are at least halfway to normal then I drive normal but wait unilt temps reach norm oper until I do any hard driving.

Tonight I took it to the fish store and through a drive thru for dinner on the way home, total miles about 5.

15. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I don't care if yoy think it is an arrogant statement. You were on Fchat before you bought the car, right? You saw the maintenance costs, right? You saw the values of the car once you have miles on it, right?

Then you bought one.

And now you're too scared to drive it because it will cost money?

These cars are about passion and being a hobby, not about making the numbers work out in some stupid Excel spreadsheet. So yes, I stand by my statement that you can't afford the hobby and income has nothing to do with it. There are people on Fchat that make half of what you just claimed and have no problems with owning a Ferrari.

Admit it, you made a mistake. Ferrari ownership is not for you.

And I don't mind making these claims in public as a warning to others on the fence about getting into the hobby. Let this serve as a warning, these things are expensive to own, maintain and drive. Knowing these facts before you get into one will keep you happy in the long run.

Cheers,
    Erik

16. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    How do you figure 2000 miles in the last 3 months is being scared to drive it ? And yes I even drive it in the rain !

I just realize that there are ALOT of cars out there that offer better performance than the ferrari look almost as good, get better gas mileage and cost less to maintain, is pondering something like that really a bad thing, or as you say classifed as, not being able to afford it ?
    I have owned 15 cars in the 13 years I have been driving, so I don't consider buying any car a mistake if it's what you want. Besides how do you know if you like something or not unless you jump in ? I love the ferrari and the cost is not the main issue, I just like owning a variety of sports cars. there are so many great ones out there, do they all get 50 year old, marlboro smoking, soccer mom's to gawk at you while sitting at a stop light like a ferrari does, no. And frankly most true car enthusist DON'T like that aspect of ownership. I drive the cars I drive because I like them and couldn't care less who else likes them.
    If surveyed most people on here (if answered honestly) have/or will ponder the same question that this thread is about, does a 20 year old ferrari have any advantages over a 3 year old porsche for the same
    money ? You are blowing the money aspect WAY outta line. I just am trying to make my money give me the most, "smiles/mile" for MY situation, which is not everyones. People drive/own cars for many different reasons. What is the right car for someone is not the right car for someone else, is this a reason to insult someone, I don't think so.

There are alot of people here who have/do own the cars I'm curious about, and I value their input, that is what makes this site so beneficial.

tout a l'heure,

John

17. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    I think that what is really is cones down too, is I have new car fever ;)

18. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I was only commenting on things that you said.

I've had my 365 for almost 8 years now.

Bought a 911 at the beginning of last year as my daily driver to replace my S class Benz (now there was a depreciation rock). Bought the Mondial 8 after I had the Pbug for 6 months. My first comment after I drove the 8 was "the Porsche is gone". Yes the Pbug is faster and more reliable, but for me, the Ferrari was just so much fun to drive AND ITS PROBABLY THE SLOWEST ONE EVER MADE!!!

You're still going to loose money on something newer in depreciation...

19. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    Also one of my arguments for keeping the ferrari is that, out of the other cars it will be the CHEAPEST car to own ;)

And my reason for not driving the ferrari more, is because I have a 4000 mile a year insurance restriction ( Hagerty)
    If I had unlimited milage I would be the first person on here to try and break 200,000 with a 308, I drive it everywhere. That's was the whole reason I started contemplating getting rid of it for another car, is not becuase, I don't want to drive it more but literally (insur) Can't drive it as much as I want too.

20. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    what year was your 911 ?
    Is there anything that you didn't like about it ?

21. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    1989.5 Carrera 4.
    A bit tricky to launch quickly because of the 4 wheel drive, other than that, a wonderful ride.

Want pics?

22. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I have Chubb on my cars. No milage restrictions and the 365 is ~$1000/year, the Mondial ~$600/year. The 365 is registered and insured in AL, the Mondial in TN.

23. SEAL2CC

SEAL2CC Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2005
    I think you hit the nail on the head. If you have none of the smiles, and you see every mile as a subtraction from the value of the car, then the value of the experience is very small. I have a 2001 911 C4 TIP which is a wonderful car..and have owned a couple of other Pcars..also have an 89 Mondial t with 42k miles..a driver in fine shape, runs and looks great with good history but I'm not afraid to drive it. The Pcar, wonderful as it is, and other Porsches for me lack the character that I feel when driving the Mondial..it (Pcar) is far more efficient, tighter, quieter, has XM, logic out the wazoo, and as a sports car it "makes sense," and I'll take it to 7-11 or Lowes without a care...not the Mondial, but I am not thinking "gee if I drive the Mondial 3k miles this year I'll lose money..I get that $ much enjoyment from it - the ownership, visual impact etc, even with services. If I sell it for 10k less in 7-10 years, I've done pretty good compared to other entertainment "investments." I don't have the car to realize a gain - except in the enjoyment I receive which is subjective. If all of a sudden Mondials become the hot collectible, then great but everyone here KNOWS I didn't buy it for that prospect. I'm 52 ..in 30 years, heck 20 years, who gives a rip. I won't lie on my death bed wishing I'd driven the Mondial 10k miles less and gotten $5k more for it...don't keep what you don't enjoy..

Good luck,

Chris

24. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    what was the 964, (was it the 911 before the 993's )what years pre-95 I take it ?

do you think it would be a good fit for what I'm looking for ?

how much are they running ?

In pcars, I have looked at the 993's 996's and a boxster. I love all pcars.
    I was pcar fan way before ferraris. (my first car was 944 ;)

So maybe I'm just a little baised too.

I have never had a 911 though.

25. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    #125 judge4re, Apr 5, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes, the 964 is the 911 before the 993s. 1989.5 to 1994.

I think you need to take a look at it. I bought mine for right at $20k, but I've seen them for a little less and a little more.

There are three main versions of the car, Carrera 4 (awd) which is a nice GT, Carrera 2 (rwd), which is more sporty, and the Turbo which is a pretty quick car. Then you get into coupe versus targa versus convertible.

One of the more undervalued 911's out there, but I've not had any real issues with mine and a friend owned it for the 4 years before I got it. Pretty solid car.

Not sure where you are financially, but could you keep the 308 and spring for a $20-25k 911? If so, best of both worlds. Practical daily driver that is sporty and the 308 for the days that you want to just have fun.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login