Just thinking, 308 vs. 996 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Just thinking, 308 vs. 996

Discussion in '308/328' started by PerryJ, Mar 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
  2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Get a lift, start stacking them. ;)

Keep the 308. You'll be upset when its gone.

Get a nice 944 or an older SL as a daily driver. You might have to up your budget to $45k to do it.

3. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    had an 86 944 last year hated it, didn't feel as cool as it did when
    I was 16 :D

4. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Sell the nice $35k 308.

Get a driver carbed car for $25k.

Buy a higher milage but sorted 964 for $17k.

You'll be $2k over budget.

Any questions? :D

5. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    now you're talking !

6. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Then do it. :D

7. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    it's in ferrari ads.

give me 2 minutes and check OT, look at coaster thread....;)

8. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    #133 judge4re, Apr 5, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    sweet ride !

I actually like the VW shape of the 911's I even really like the looks of the newer ones, I think they all look very sexy ;)

10. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass

I'll let you know the next time I'm stateside. All three cars are in east TN right now. We'll take all three out for a ride (and I need to get Urotrash up for the weekend too).

11. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
  12. Timbo

Timbo Karting

Feb 5, 2004
    Portsmouth, NH
    Full Name:
    Timbo
    I'm still impressed w/ how clean and stylish the 944 interior design is. It compares very well with the Z3, 10+ years later.

The exterior is another topic..

13. wachuko

wachuko Rookie

Dec 24, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Jaime O. Diaz
    If you want to get a Porsche I suggest a 993 or a 996TT, GT2, or GT3. I would not suggest a base 996 specially the ones from 99-2001... if you must then consider the 2002+ 996 (specially the 996 C4S). AND MAKE SURE YOU GET A WARRANTY.

The gripe some of us have with Porsche and the 996 is that the engine and tranny are crap. They went cheap on the engine and transmissions. Before the 996 you had an engine that had the same case and other bits from the race cars. The transmission could be service and gears replaced to fit your needs. Overall construction quality was better.

With the 996 they went with cheap plastics, disposable engines and transmissions, overall and inferior package... more comfortable, yes. Faster, yes. Durable and good quality - no... in this cars is not a matter IF you will need to replace the engine.. but WHEN you will need to replace it.

I tested the 996 when it first came out… very disappointed. Then again in 2003 I drove a new 996. Major improvement in the interior, a bit more performance (engine revised and raised to 320hp), stiffer chassis, etc. But the problems with the Rear Main Engine Seal (RMS) was still present. Not a problem with the seal but a problem with design of the engine.

Boxters use a detuned version of the 996 engines… so they suffer from the same dreaded problems. I love the looks of this car. To me it was a classic as soon as it came out. Those lines will age well. A beauty to look and to drive. But same construction quality comments apply. I just do not see that interior holding out for years to come… in my case I need the extra space on the back for my kids… so not an option for me.

The new 997 is a major improvement in the interior and imho the exterior. But engines are the same as the 996 (some revisions done).

The 996TT, GT2, and GT3 engines are the real deal. More durable. Transmissions that are serviceable. If you care about the heart of the beast then these are the cars to buy from Porsche.

If you keep the cars only a few years until the warranty runs out. Get a based 996… enjoy the heck out of it. But if you are like me and like to keep the car beyond the manufactures warranty period then I suggest getting an extended maintenance agreement or selling before the warranty expires… do not say you were not warned.

This is always a sensitive topic for Porsche diehards… sorry for the lengthily response.

14. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    Jaime,

all info is greatly appreciated, I want to stay under 40k
    so from what everyone has said, the 95 993 is the way to go, before 96 OBDII.

Do you agree that a 95 993 with around 30k miles would be a good choice for an everyday driver that I will only keep a year or so, put 10k miles on then sale before I lose much in deprec. ?

15. wachuko

wachuko Rookie

Dec 24, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Jaime O. Diaz

I had a 1997 C2S as my daily driver. I drove that car hard with no problems at all (except for broken alternator belts that was pin pointed as a pulley problem). I would take that car to its max speed (169-172mph) every other Saturday at 4:30am when heading to the boat in the east side of the island.

For that kind of money you should be able to find a pristine 95 993 and have a few thousands to spare for preventive maintenance. A 1995 993 will be an excellent car and I do not feel it will depreciate much more over a 10k miles period. The most common mod is a light flywheel and lowering to ROW specs. Have fun and be sure to visit the rennlist.com forums to post photos of the car. As with any purchase be sure you do a Pre Purchase Inspection. There was a recall of the wiring harness (paid by Porsche of course) so make sure that was done to the car you get or get it done as soon as you get the car. (http://members.rennlist.com/pcaracing/wiringharness5.html)