Just tuned my 488! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Just tuned my 488!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by frankiefred, May 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. frankiefred

frankiefred Rookie

Jan 24, 2008
    those are the only dyno graphs I have. They were tuning it on the dyno, and it is REALLY humid here the past few weeks (and hot) so the intake temps kept getting really high.

2. Turbotuner20v

Turbotuner20v Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2014
    The turbo size will dictate the limit of how much air can be moved through the engine. At max rpm the limit of the stock turbo size is being found and power levels off. This is normal for all factory turbo cars and the car is still making more power than stock to redline.

3. YellowMurci

YellowMurci Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    NyC Baby!
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Best way is if the ECU can be flashed via OBD - and when needed the stock tune can be put back in - once that ecu is cracked open they will find it! trust me ive been down that road before....

K3silk likes this.
  4. ZIP22

ZIP22 Karting

Jun 7, 2009
    I wonder if the sudden drop in power at high rpms is due to ECU is retarding timing and dumping more fuel because it's starting to sense pinging due to 91-93 octane fuel.

5. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Damn 530 is healthy for a stock car on a mustang dyno. Tuned numbers are crazy

6. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    #81 Fabspeed Motorsport, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Matt_337

Matt_337 Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #82 Matt_337, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    Edited: I got my answer elsewhere.

Sounds great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. 488beast

488beast Rookie

Aug 23, 2016
    Car is insane! Congrats on the great tune and set up!

You should get a racelogic VBOX to get the performance numbers (0-60mph, 0-100mph, 1/4mile) for all your cars. I don't think anyone VBOXed a 488 yet. I believe stock 488 does 60-100mph in 3.0-3.1s while P1 918 and LaF does it in 2.7s. Would be interesting to see how fast your car does it tuned.

9. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Any sound clip to share with other members? I saw it on youtube already but want to hear from real owners.
    Novitec's latest one was the most impressive one so far I thought.

10. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    And just like that, all those in this thread who were so worried about Frankiefreds warranty being voided and him going financially bankrupt got shut down... when he showed us pics of his garages ;)

Cmon guys, anyone who buys a new 488 and then mods is must likely have the financial muscles to deal with any voided warranty, most likely not even an issue for the OP.

Nice job Frankiefred, it must go like stink :)

Do post some videos if possible, any difference in sound after the tune?

11. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    ???

What is there to shut down? That's a bit of an odd and strong statement I think. Everyone is free to do with his or her car as they see fit, and I doubt anyone here will say anything different.

I doubt anyone here are worried about Frankiefred's financial situation or worries if he loses his warranty. Some of us cares about warranty, other's not so much. Some people see it as part of common sense to do so while others choose to run a risk due to the fact that they receive greater pleasure from their cars by modding them - this to a degree where warranty no longer matters. I think it has very little to do with the fear of going bankrupt for anyone here. If blowing up your new Ferrari engine or driveline bankrupts you, warranty should be the least of your ownership worries and you probably should not own the car in the first place.

12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The only reason to buy a turbo charged car is to adjust the boost once you get it home :)

Ray

SVR likes this.
  13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yeah, pretty sure he can self-warranty any repairs - based on that nice garage he's got going there. lol

Question for the OP: so the shop can get into the car and remap the ECU? Do they have Ferrari computers or can it be done with any software these days or ? Or did they change the ECU's to something which can be re-programmed?

Ray

14. frankiefred

frankiefred Rookie

Jan 24, 2008
    They use the stock ECU. My understanding is their hardware can read and write to the oem software. I can get you in touch if you have specific questions. I'm technical to a point, but don't know a ton about tuning other than they have done all my other cars with amazing results. (They also tuned a owner I knows 570s and it runs down and puts a hurting on 675lt's now)

15. IMPEX4

IMPEX4 Karting

Feb 5, 2006
    Full Name:
    Eric
    very very nice!!

16. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Thanks very much for the information. That's cool that they are able to write to the ECU

Ray

17. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis

Did the tune do much for the 458?