Kamado style grills (big green egg, etc) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Kamado style grills (big green egg, etc)

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Dom, Jan 17, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Thank you for setting the record straight on that one!!!

Oh yeah, and OMFG! DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have about 6" of snow outside right now and ALMOST fired up the Egg just to cook another one of those. If it wasn't still snowing, I probably would have. Tomorrow's another day, though. :)

3. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Salmon came out great last night. We used the little sample packet of rub that came with the egg (the Dizzy Pig Raging River Rub), and seared at high temp. When the salmon was done, drizzled maple syrup on it, and served. Wife said it was the best salmon we have ever made.

Today, I am cooking spare ribs and baked beans. Temp is at 250. Took a while to get right. Had it set perfect, then put in the plate setter, and temp dropped and didn't come up much higher. I had to play with the vents a bit to get it to 250 again, then added the ribs. I added the baked beans in just a little while ago, and am planning for everything to be done around 5ish.

I think next time, once I get the fire going, I should add in the plate setter right away, then start adjusting temps. The egg seems to recover relatively quickly when you put in the meat, but I think the plate setter is just too much cold mass for it to recover well.

4. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I put mine on as soon as I light it.

5. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Ribs came out good. Not the best I've made, but I think it was my fault as I left them in a little too long. One rack (the smallest one) was dried out, others were good. Oh well, win some, lose some, I'll definitely be trying them again. Baked beans came out really well.

Next up are ribeyes, though it probably won't be until Monday.

6. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Oh my gawddd! I made steak last night. Ribeyes. Best Evar!!

I used the 2.5" Fire Ring. Filled up the firebox with lump, and lit it up (using the paper towel with oil method). Got up to 700 degrees pretty quick. After about 20 minutes or so, put on the steaks. Flipped after a few minutes. Then took them off and shut the bottom vent to just a sliver. Put on the raised rack (I have the 3 layer grid), and by the time I got it set up, temps had come down to about 450 or so. Put the steaks on the top rack and cooked for a few minutes more on each side until they were about medium done.

They were soooo good.

Only issues: That thing is damn hot. Just trying to flip the steaks was an issue, since it was so hot, I kept searing my arms. It was tough to get a good grip on the steaks with the tongs that I have, and combined with the heat, I lost some serious arm hair. I think I need some sort of grill lifter as well, for when I am playing with the tiered grids. And maybe some heavy duty kitchen gloves.

Definately a difference between steaks cooked on a gas grill, and steaks cooked over charcoal on the egg.

7. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Glad it came out good for you. Check with the store you purchased your egg at and tell them you need a "grate grabber". Also, google "ov gloves". They work very well. You can also get a long handle steak flipper from Amazon. Hope this helps.

8. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    On the grill. Temp, I dunno.

Actually more often then not we cook that in a skillet on the stove (in the house) with some olive oil, really hot so it gets all crispy around the edges. If you cook it really hot and fast its crispy outside and rare inside.

9. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I stand corrected on the MooCow.

10. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Gracias! I will try your salmon recipe later this week.

11. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Had to resurrect this thread to compliment Big Green Egg on great customer service. Bought my BGE in 2007. Fire ring broke last week. Called the retailer, brought in the broken piece, got a free replacement overnight. Almost unbelieveable this thing has a lifetime warranty.

12. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    We had fillets on the BGE last night. Just a little bit of hickory chips. Sublime.

Tonight, pork ribs on the egg. :)

13. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Just got a BGE for my birthday. And it is awesome. I'm already familiar with this type of cooking on my drum smokers, but it is much more versatile and better looking.

Though for big cooks it lacks some space, that's only a hassle once or twice a year. I'll keed the UDS around for those moments.