Karting - Wednesday 25th 8pm | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Karting - Wednesday 25th 8pm

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by tvrfreak, Aug 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Sorry Nizam, I didn't check f-chat until just now. I filled the spot with Ed Sham, who came last time and was on "standby" this time. I think we have twenty. Perhaps your friend can come next time?

Vincent, it's all good. We can't wait until you build a kart-track around your new house!

Rgds,
    Faisal.

2. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    OK, latest iteration...
    Group 1
    -------------
    Dominick
    Ed Sham
    Dave Burch
    Wilfred's nephew.
    Gary
    April
    Luke
    Nizam
    Ben
    Larry

Group 2
    -----------
    Matt
    Phillip
    Bobaffet
    Chris
    Rich
    John Nitis
    Wilfred
    David
    Faisal
    Art

3. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Pre-paying is how we secured the extended track time deal.

Looks like it's all covered, though Vincent now does have to build that kart track. With an airstrip down the middle. So we can come harass^H^H^H^H^H visit him. I call the comfy couch!

That's the deal, if you cancel the karting, you have to build a track, airstrip, and let me sleep on your couch. For a month.

4. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    That's cool. I just didn't want a spot to go wasted :)

5. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Thanks for the help. Do you work in IT as well? What are you doing up at this time on a weekday?

I have been in the trenches, working on a firewall all evening/night. Finally got it working. SonicWall makes a **** product for sure! I am about ready to march over to their headquarters and give them a piece of my mind.

6. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Faisal- you know you want the Netscreen!

7. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    Well, I am in IT, but we (the wife and I) were up late putting in the new headliner into her Alfa.

Like Ben said, you want the NetScreen :D

8. wonkazoo

wonkazoo Karting

Aug 23, 2004
    Woodside/RWC
    Full Name:
    David
    To all and sundry that attended tonights session of bumper cars disguised as go-karts: Thanks!! I had a great time, and look forward to doing it again sometime soon. Faisal, great job organizing the event and making sure that everything went smoothly. I'm in for future events, just let me know when and I'll be there.

Cheers,
    dce

9. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I thought I would at least be the first to post after the event. This, after starting out last and "advancing" to the middle of the pack in the last heat. I am officially blaming the kart, eating before the event, and those damn new gloves.
    I guess as long as I am improving my times.....and having a blast.

PS. That one shunt in heat 15 was pretty decent. Instant deceleration from about 20-25 mph, I figured.

10. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Now this was a fun event guys!!! I really had a good time! Thanks to everyone who showed up and made it possible. I felt it went smoothly and I really enjoyed being able to spend time socializing rather than answering questions, organizing the different groups, running around, etc. We had a good time sharing stories at Max's afterwards. Matt/Phil, Luke, Dave, Gary, sorry you guys couldn't join us--it really rounded out a very fun evening.

Hope everyone's times are improving. Mine are coming down, albeit slowly. We had a "shunter" in our group, too! I can't believe there's so much variation in the carts. They seemed to be a lot more even before...now it's a crapshoot as to whether you will get a "good one" or not.

Nizam, Dan, Rich: saw your times...what's your secret? We have some really good drivers in this group! And, errr, Ben, well, uhhh, umm I guess you got the umm really, really bad kart again! :)

What are everyone's thoughts on doing a breakfast run and then going karting...say, weekend after next, or the next one after that? On weekends, we can do the whole track, which is pretty cool.

Dave, thanks for showing up. You da man! Art, Vincent, you gotta join us next time!

11. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Also meant to write...I would like to get a phone list going with everyone's cell phone numbers. This way I can coordinate last-minute stuff better, and call potential attendees if there's a last-minute cancellation. Please send me your phone number via email: [email protected]

Thanks!

12. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    It's the secret sauce!

Faisal, thanks for organizing this. It was great fun. I didn't get to (formally) meet Dan, nor the guy sitting to his right at Max's.

I have to say though, that slicing through rush hour traffic to get to Burlingame at 7pm was a "...and then I got pulled over by this pirate," story waiting to happen! Arrr.

13. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    And I forgot to tell you guys about the ass trickle again!!!!

14. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Wow, I just realized that some of us made Top of the Day...here's the list!

29.313 Rich Lindell (Hate you)
    30.302 Nizam Zambri (must be the kart)
    30.305 David Eblovi (another fast one!)
    30.343 Dominick Pelusi (newbie, and he beat me!)
    30.381 John Nitis (fluke)
    30.391 Faisal Khan (heh heh)
    30.442 Larry Dickman (close!)
    30.491 Dan Kaleem (0.01 seconds difference!)
    30.610 Chris Beck (must be the kart)
    30.625 Wilfred Hsu (crazy mofo)

Top of the Year time is 27.874. Rich, you're sloooooow!

15. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    I only made it to 31.019, but I picked up nearly a full second each run, so I'm happy. I think I know how to do the chicane now. The rest of the track I still need to figure out!

I can't imagine why the karts get banged around so much (glares at kart #4 :) It's mostly the kart. Funny, I guess I never got a good one. Uh, ever.

Great fun everybody. I look forward to holding up traffic again soon!

Avast ye mates!

16. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Phillip and I had loads of fun, too bad we missed the eatery afterwards, may be next time.

I know what Dan's secret was, Kart #24 and when I asked for it, they took it offline.

17. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I clocked at 30.647 and got bumped by someone (Nizam & Faisal) in the last run. Only if Dan wasn't blocking me in the last heat...
    Up through the last run I was #9 for the top of the day. Which karts were you guys riding?

18. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Faisal and Ben, Had a great time even if I was in everyone's way.

Not as sore as I expected to be this morning.

I think I'll stick with the FB car, it's more comfortable, and it has mirrors :)

19. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    Matt - I was in kart #27 for the last run, and Faisal was in Kart #37. I had a great time chasing Faisal down in the last run of the evening. Traffic is everything; had we not had good luck with traffic and spacing, I doubt we would have made the top times of the day. Plus, the back markers in our run were very observant of the blue flag, too. Can't complain.

20. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    I was in Kart 27 the second time around. It was fast as well. Then I got #8, which was a large kart and I slid around in that like a hot dog in a hallway :p Anyways, I had a good time, litte frustrated at first that the karts did not stick like I was expecting them to, damn speedring! But, all in all, lap times are all getting down there.

Oh, and remember Matt, "They all want me" :D

21. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    How can I forget the looks on those poor...:D

22. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    I know...I know...something to work on.....amoung the other "things" I am working on there...... lol

23. calbear

calbear Rookie

Jul 3, 2004
    Pleasanton, CA
    Full Name:
    Joon Lee
    Hey Faisal,
    It was good to talk to you yesterday. I'm sorry that I could not make it. Luckily, dinner with my folks was great, so it kinda made up for missing the event. I'll look forward to the next one in three weeks. Your idea of a breakfast and karting sounds ideal, so I'll make sure to contact you the moment you ask for sign-ups.

Take Care

24. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Notes from an old guy...

1. Three sessions is too many for me. Woke up stiff and sore this morning. I have rotator cuff issues with my right shoulder and something about the kart driving position (arms high and stretched out) really aggravates it.

2. Kart driving technique really varies from conventional cars. I was talking to friend who does a ton of indoor karting, and he says most guys with race track experience (Sears, Laguna, etc) tend to drive the kart drive too smoothly. The best race car drivers are very sensitive to weight transfer and balance, and are very smooth with their control inputs. Karts respond much better to very aggressive steering inputs since there is no suspension, so you don't have to worry about balance. This would take some getting used to for me.

3. It's frustrating getting hit and slammed into the wall and losing a lap while you wait for the marshal to extricate the kart. Happened to me twice, in each of the last two races. Boo hoo!

Other than that it is always fun to get together with you quicker, younger guys and watching the fur fly!

Gary

25. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    FAST GROUP NEXT TIME WE GO????????????