Karting - Wednesday 25th 8pm | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Karting - Wednesday 25th 8pm

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by tvrfreak, Aug 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Gary,
    no worries, we will just have to take your Ferrari out for a spin. Sorry to hear about your rotator cuff troubles--doesn't sound too pleasant.

I dunno about driving techniques. I drive everything the same, and I am pretty sure that smoothness is important with karts too. Certainly, when I stopped sliding so much, my times improved significantly. While there isn't a suspension per se, the tires and the chassis (flexing of it) act as a rudimentary suspension. Without it, we would be hurting a lot more, for sure. I agree though, balance is far less of an issue because of the relatively minor forces.

Yeah, those marshalls aren't the brightest or most observant peas in the pod!

It was nice to see you again too. The other guy from Los Altos, Dave, told us about a vintage formula 1 type of event at sears point this fall. I hope to see you there, if not before!

2. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Gary- sorry to hear of your rotor cuff issues, thanks for coming out and showing us youngsters what's up!

I'd agree (a little) with your assesment of the karts. When I drive it like I'd drive a car (slow and smooth loading and unloading, or else you're in the reeds!) I am toooo slow. But then I tend to over-drive it in responce, sliding all over and losing momentum.

The sweet spot is somewhere in the middle, though I haven't found it yet!

3. wonkazoo

wonkazoo Karting

Aug 23, 2004
    Woodside/RWC
    Full Name:
    David
    Hey All,

In a previous life I flew competition aerobatics, which is about as violent a sport as you can imagine. Yet even with the ridiculous speed and g-loading of unlimited level figures, the key to success was always to be smooth. To the casual observer it might look like the pilot is yanking the stick around for all its worth, but nothing could be further from the truth. The somewhat long winded point I am trying to make here is that a smooth motion does not mean a slow motion. A smooth controlled movement can be extremely quick, as I think it has to be in these karts. In a car going 120 with a braking zone 300 feet long, smooth translates to a much longer period of time, as against a braking zone 15 feet long. So you can drive with the same relatively smooth quality, even though you are feeling as though you are yanking the steering wheel back and forth, and jamming on the brake with abandon. It is a very fine line, one that I am still searching for, since the feelings are completely different from a road car. Anyway, enough yada yada from me!! Have a great day!!

Cheers,
    dce

4. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Great post! About halfway through each session, after the blinding urge to be first had worn off, I'd start experimenting with backing off a little less or piling on the power (all 3 bhp of it) in different increments. It certainly helped.