Kauai or Big Island...with children | FerrariChat

Kauai or Big Island...with children

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by jefffromcanada, Mar 18, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    I've been to both Oahu and Maui in the past. We are attending a wedding on Oahu in November and will be with our 4 and 6 year old. Our plan is to spend a week on Oahu and another week on either Kauai or the Big Island.

Which of the 2 would you recommend, or does it matter? Keeping in mind we have the kids.

2. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I would go to the Big Island. It has the feel of a more secluded island like Kauai, but there will still be plenty for your kids to do. I went to the Big Island a handful of times growing up and it was always cool to see the volcanoes and the interesting lava rock formations. IMO, that will appeal more to younger kids.

3. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    Thanks Dave, where are the nicer areas to stay on the Big Island (N.S.E.W.)? For Example in Maui the Kaanapali, Lahaina, Kapalua area is preferable over the Kihea, SW area.

4. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That might be best answered by some of the locals or perhaps from online reviews. The last time I was there was for a field trip in the 4th grade. I'm sure you'll find some good places in either Hilo (east) or Waikoloa village (west).

5. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    More to do for both adults and kids on the big island..

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Big Island.

We have a place on Kauai because it is so quiet. The kids will be bored.

7. marco246

marco246 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2004
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Jeff,

Aloha from the Big Island. The island is big enough that you may find it more convenient to stay on both east and west sides. The west (Kona) side is the touristy side in terms of restaurants, up-scale accommodations, and great beaches. The east (Hilo) side boasts the Volcanoes National Park, some waterfalls, botanical attractions, a couple of somewhat down-at-the-heels hotels but some good B&Bs. If you were to go out after dark to the Park or the Kalapana area to see the lava glowing, it'd be a lot more convenient not to have to drive back to Kona that evening, especialy if you were staying at one of the resorts north of town. So spending a couple of nights in the Hilo area might make sense.

If I can help further, send me a PM.

Cheers,
    Mark

8. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    Thanks guys, appreciate the help. It's unanimous, the Big Island it is. Mark I just might take you up on your offer, so don't be shocked if I send you a PM. It's nice to have some local expertise instead of having to rely on travel agents.

9. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

With kids stay in Kona. Visit the other side of the island for sure, but your kids will hate Hilo, I sure do. See if you can get a 2 bed condo at the Kona Coast Resort. Plenty of swimming pools and hot tubs, bar, resturant, and health club in a very secure area. 24 hour guards on duty.

10. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    Thanks, I think we'll stay at the Kona Coast you mentioned. It sounds nice and and the 2 bedroom condo is perfect for our family. We're going in the middle of November which is apparently off season, so rates are pretty reasonable too.

11. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

You'll like it there. Only a block from a shopping center with food, bars, and a great grocery store KTA. You can also walk to 2 different beaches for shell hunting. My Granddaughter loves it. Be sure to make friends with "Garrett" at the gate house. He is head of security and if he likes you response time is ridiculously fast.

12. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    if the 4-6 year olds want beach time then Kauai is a better choice.

13. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Is security a now problem in Kona? Why is response time a major consideration in choosing a hotel? What happened to you that forced you to call security? It's been a while since I've been, but I have always thought of Kona as pretty sleepy and safe.

14. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    Yeah Glassman, what does that mean? My wife read your comment & said the same thing...in not so many words :)

Here is a review from Frommers, not too positive. We've have used and bought a Frommers book on every holiday we've taken for 15 years.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/hawaiithebigisland/H26903.html

"This fabulous resort, which had begun to fall into disrepair in the past few years, was recently sold (to computer magnate Michael Dell), and it appears that the new owners are pouring much-needed funds into maintenance of this oceanside Polynesian village. Since 1965, those seeking a great escape have crossed the black-lava fields to find refuge at this exclusive, one-of-a-kind haven by the sea with its wonderful dark-sand beach. Unfortunately, long-time guests of the Village have noted a remarkable decline in the once-sterling aloha service. Veteran employees still have that gracious welcoming attitude, but the newer employees (who are quickly becoming a majority) don't seem able to match the high standards that made the resort famous. Dining service is rushed and, in some cases, practically nonexistent for a luxury resort"

15. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Hawaii is the "Ice" capital of the world. Think Meth!!!! I like a guarded home when I'm on the islands. I want my Granddaughter in a safe place, and I feel very safe there.
    Kona Coast does need upgrades but it is relatively inexpensive for the location. For me...I own a 2 bed there...I like it quiet, and when somebody becomes annoying I want it dealt with immediately or as Garrett knows so well, I'll take care of the problem myself. In the past that has caused the Resort some problems. I once emptied a condo with partyers a few blocks away by myself, andf when security arrived I bit them on the hand hard for poor response. I can assure you that you will enjoy the property, and I wouldn't stay anywhere else for the money.

16. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

FYI
    Kona Village and Kona Coast Resort, are two different facilities. KCR is made up of one and two and three bedroom condos overlooking a golf course and the coast.

17. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    Ahhh that makes sense, thanks.

18. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    http://www.konavillage.com/

Kona Village Resort Update (March 18, 2011) Kona Village Resort to Close Following Significant Structural and Property Damage Due to Tsunami

Big Island of Hawaii – March 18, 2011 – Kona Village Resort, one of the iconic vacation destinations and resorts of Hawaii, today announced that it will close for an extended period of time due to the significant structural and property damage it sustained during last week’s earthquake-generated tsunami.

“We are very sad to close Kona Village Resort for an extended period of time, but the damage to the property from this natural disaster is severe enough to render it inoperable,” said Patrick Fitzgerald, President and Chief Executive Officer, Hualalai Resort/Kona Village Resort. “We are fortunate that our guests and employees were evacuated safely. Our hearts are heavy with this decision’s impact on employees and loyal guests who have visited us over the years. Our thoughts also are with the people of Japan during this difficult time.”

The 45-year old resort sustained significant structural damage from the storm surge, including more than 20 Hale, the resort’s bungalow-style, thatched roof accommodations, some of which were completely removed from their foundations based upon the force of the water. Other damaged buildings or attractions at the 82-acre resort include the Hale Moana and Hale Samoa restaurants, Hale Ho’omau, the Shipwreck and Talk Story bars, reception and main office as well as the Ocean Activity Center on property.

WOW!!

19. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Someones getting a big insurance claim and vacation!!

20. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

For kids Kauai is deadsville. My 6 year old Grandaughter will take pool time over beach time any day of the week. Besides I don't like the idea of her being in the ocean. There are beaches within walking distance of most Kona Hotels, and a daily walk for beachcombing is a great pastime with kids. There is also Dolphin Quest at the Hilton Waikoloa, for an unforgettable experience for 6 year old or older. The Hilton also has the boat canal and train through the entire property that your kids will love. You could spend a whole day there and have access to the pool for no charge if your crafty. The Sea Horse place by the Energy Lab is also a favorite for kids. My Granddughter also likes to just go down to Kona Village and walk around. A day trip to the Volcano is an adventure that kids will like also. The advantage of renting a condo is having meals at home. Beats the crap out of resturant food costs. The advantage of a gated community with a 24 hr guard on an island with daily visitors from around thw world is also a plus. If you were visiting LA with kids, would you want a gated accomodation or a beach house in Venice????

21. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Go figure kids don't like the beach, I couldn't get mine off of it.

22. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Same here. Took the kids to Maui 2 years ago - they loved it.

I live off the Jersey Shore, and the beaches are probably my children's favorite thing to do in the summer.

23. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Don't get me wrong here. My Granddughter loves beach combing, and whale watching and all the rest. She just would rather be at a pool with other kids and some floatation devices. rather that out in the wild so to speak. I feel way more comfortable with her in a pool rather than the ocean also. Besides a cold beer for Grampa is very close, and delivered directly to your umbrella.

24. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Yes, I could see that - my kids are less into the waves as opposed to finding shells. For swimming, it's definitely the pool, especially if there are other kids their age.

25. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    Yep at the ocean, its more about the shells. We were in Carlsbad in January, obviously too cold to swim, but still somewhat comfortable outside. The kids played for well over an hour while my wife and I enjoyed our coffee.

We booked a house on Oahu and we'll book the KCR for the following week. What airline is do you guys recommend for island to island travel....or does it even matter?