Keep Precat or remove it? please advise | FerrariChat

Keep Precat or remove it? please advise

Discussion in '360/430' started by eskanday, Mar 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eskanday

eskanday Karting

Jun 21, 2017
    I have a 2003 Ferrari 360 with 10500 miles on it and Tubi mufflers. During service, my Ferrari technician noticed that the OEM exhaust manifolds (headers) have cracks in them. I looked in to my options and did not not want to go with after market headers like Tubi which is 7K or Fabspeed that will the heat shield close to 5k and having risk of CEL.
    I decided to send them to JP Exhaust in England for complete rebuild with high grade stainless steel.
    Now, I am trying to decide whether to keep the precat in or remove them in the rebuild headers. I am worried about triggering CEL. I know couple people on the forum have removed them, any long term feedback? any CEL? any advise?

2. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I installed Fabspeed headers and as you know they do not have precats. I got some CELs that I believe now have been resolved by using a pair of O2 extenders with built-in mini cats. If we’re to make a guess, if you rebuild the stock headers without precats for install on a North American market car, you may likely have CELs. But like me, the installation of O2 extenders/mini-CATs is an option to mitigate that.

Steve

whatheheck likes this.
  3. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Remove those precats, install 02 mini cat extenders and you will accomplish two things
    1 way better sound and unrestricted exhaust and performance.
    2 prevent that the mini cat gets loose, rattles inside, destroys itself and your engine ends up suctioning particles causing severe damage to your engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    I have swapped my OEM headers for a set from fabspeed. I have them encased in Capristio header blankets. Am very happy with the sound and performance. And I still have the OEM headers to make the car original if I ever wish to.

FIN612 likes this.
  5. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #5 360trev, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Its one of the best upgrades you can do on a US spec car... They rob power and can potentially detonate your engine!
    Edit: *assuming* it's legal in your region

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Steve, don't you have high flow cats as well, correct? THAT is what triggers a CEL. The removing precats but keeping OEM cats shouldn't trigger a CEL. It will have high emissions on start but should be fine form that perspective. It may be an issue in CA relative to visual inspection and passing smog.

7. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    I installed Fabspeed headers w/o precats as was happy with them, as I didn't want precats. I knew someone who had the material break up, and caused engine damage to the point of engine rebuild...

If you run w/o precats, you'll probably get a CEL. Mine triggered all the time, regardless of what Fabspeed said. O2 sensor extenders greatly improved that, but it would still trigger every 2 months or so. Reset is simple though, w/ a $20 obd reader.

FIN612 likes this.
  8. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I have stock cats and got CELs after installing Fabspeed headers ... which eliminated the pre-cats. The O2 extenders / mini-cat combos took care of the CELs

Steve

9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Thanks. I haven't been motivated to change but I didn't realize that would trigger a CEL. I guess I didn't read enough of those threads. Thanks.

10. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Exactly the opposite
    Removing precats is what triggers a CEL, installing high flow cats most likely would resolve the CEL
    Why? Because the stock configuration has the downstream sensor BEFORE the bigger main cat. And with the hyperflow car you can install it after the main cat.
    Please see my post #87 here
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/145821856/

sparetireless likes this.
  11. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    It appears I was premature with my assessment that the mini-cats have resolved the CELs. Today, got the dreaded CEL again. Feralc might very well have the best answer to all of this. That is, the position of the downstream sensor is a key component.

Steve

sparetireless likes this.
  12. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I'm running fabspeed headers + sport cats with O2 extension. No CEL.

FIN612 likes this.
  13. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I swapped out the stock ones within the first month of owning the car just to be safe. These engines re not cheap!

14. eskanday

eskanday Karting

Jun 21, 2017
    I just wanted to get back to you guys, appreciate all the input. I did not want to change to different non-stock headers like Tubi or Fabspeed because i did not want to deal with CEL.
    I ended up sending the headers to JP Exhaust in UK to be repaired. They turned to be fine and no leak after pressure testing. The heat shield was worn so JP Exhaust repaired the heat shield. Also checked the precats and they were fine.
    I recommend JP Exhaust, very professional, honest and reliable.

15. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Hmmm...well, if that makes you feel better.
    But fine today may not be fine next year.

16. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Keep in mind that Rifledriver has stated that he has never seen precat failure on an otherwise correctly running car. Ie, car is running poorly and owner ignores the running condition and keeps on going.....

17. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I don’t doubt Rifledriver, but I know people who have tracked their properly running 360s, and while none has suffered pre-cat failure in the sense of having cat pieces sucked up into the engine, they have had them come loose, and on opening up the headers, have found that pieces had come off, with the remaining cylindrical portion rattle around inside the headers. Where the loose pieces went is anybody’s guess, but these examples show that a non-malfunctioning car could still suffer pre-cat issues if they are tracked and/or driven hard. It’s possible that the majority of Rifledriver’s clients don’t track or drive their cars hard enough to get the heat and vibrations up high enough to cause pre-cat problems.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I don’t doubt your info or the possibility, just wanted to share another perspective.

Need4Spd likes this.
  19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Resurrection ...

Can I ask what CEL codes you guys were getting when the precat material failed? 0421/0431 (warm up catalyst below threshold), or 0420 / o430 (catalyst below efficiency)?
    Can I also ask if you removed the precat, and install O2 minicats, does the minicat go on the upstream O2 sensor or downstream O2 sensor?
    If you install sports cats (hiflow), do you then put the O2 sensor extender on the downstreams sensor?

20. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I have been going through this rat race for a while now. I replaced the stock headers with Fabspeed headers. As you know, the stock headers have a pre-cat. The Fabspeed do not. The upstream O2 sensor installs near the collectors on the Fabspeed headers. But, now, you have less catalyst material between the upstream and the downstream O2 sensors.

My first problem (Check Engine Light) is the same as many others experience ... I got P0421 / P0431 codes ... Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency. This means that the downstream O2 sensor has detected that the the converter is not working as efficiently as it should. This kind of makes sense because the downstream O2 sensor is stuck into the center of the catalytic converter -- not behind it. And since the stock headers were replaced, there is is less catalyst between the downstream and upstream sensors. This would be the same code that someone would get if they deleted the cats altogether.

For many (some) the solution is to install O2 sensor extenders or small mini-cats into the bung on the stock cats and then install the O2 sensors into the extender or mini-cat. I have tried both without success. Others have reported doing this resolves the issues, but not on my 360. Well ... I suppose it depends how you define success.

The P0421 / P0431 codes have gone away ... replaced with P0139 / P0159 codes ... O2 sensor circuit slow response. Now, I am not sure what could be causing this. I have tried replacing the O2 sensors but that did not help. Some other things are:
    • Excessive fuel in exhaust stream ... but, I do not have other symptoms that would indicate this.
    • Bad O2 sensor ... but, I replaced them.
    • Leaks in fuel system or exhaust. Tested for that and do not believe it is this.
    My thought is that if I install the O2 sensors as they are meant to be, they are in the exhaust stream and then the ECU thinks the converters are not up to snuff. If I put extenders on, then the O2 sensor is backed out of the exhaust stream and the ECU thinks they have slow response time.

So now, I am thinking of having the shop install a bung on the downstream side of the converters. Just past the last bit of catalyst material before the converters mate to the pipes to the silencer. My thought is that I will then install the O2 sensor directly into the exhaust stream ... same as original ... but, now, I have re-introduced more catalyst between the upstream and downstream sensors. My hope is that the ECU will once again believe the converters are back to snuff and with the downstream sensors back into the exhaust stream they will not be suffering from slow response times.

I surely hope this resolves everything. Keeping fingers crossed.

Steve

21. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    Does your shop have a emissions analyzer? You might try just checking to be sure you don't have a weak plug or coil and the car is actually running a little rich. What extenders did you try the 90 deg or straight? Moving the bung should help as long as its something else causing it.

22. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    What a PITA. You've been at this forever....
    If you don't solve this, it might be easier for others to just replace old headers with new stock headers if you think the age of the precat is a worry. Life is short !
    I had success with the decat on my 355 using extenders and was hoping you would find a solution for the 360.

23. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I am fighting the same codes but with a different cause. The catalyst material on a US 360 CS is in 3 stages:

Upstream O2 sensor
    Precat
    Thin cat
    Downstream O2 sensor
    Main cat

In the stock configuration, there are Precat and Thin cat stages between the two o2 sensors.

Due to a broken internal cat, bot cats were rebuilt by Fabspeed, BUT and this is a big BUT, they only put back the main cat, without any thin cat. Therefore there is only the precat material between the up and down stream o2 sensors.

So, as soon as the drive cycle is complete, the two codes 0421 /0431 (heated cat below threshold) show up. BAM.

I am thinking a Minicat extender may solve this issue. But the last time I tried it on bank 2, the slow cat signal CEL came up due to the large right angle dead space of the minicar extender.

If the Minicat does not work, I might want to add a bung after the main cat but that is a large piece of cat material and there has to be a reason why Ferrari put the rear O2 sensor after the thin cat, as opposed to the very end. Maybe it will also throw a slow signal CEL too.

In the end, the bullet proof solution is to go back to the stock cat converters with thin and main cat materials. No real solution yet....

24. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    yes you are correct that the stock configuration is upstream 02, precat (these two on the headers), thin cat, downstream 02, main cat (these three on the cats)
    And you mentioned that your stock car was rebuilt by Fabspeed and they only put back the main cat so you only have the precat between 02 sensors.
    You have very little scrubbing material between 02 sensors.
    The extenders might help, I resolved my issue when I removed my stock headers along with the precat, BUT on my case I have high flow cats so the main cat is BETWEEN both sensors (that is more scrubbing material than stock)
    The bung after the main cat will fix it for sure, early 360s and Euros are this way.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Yes, I have little scrubbing material between the 2 O2 sensors, and old cat material at that.

So in your case, fabspeed headers, fabspeed sports cats, fixed the CEL issue? Is that correct?